• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you like Best?
Dhani Jones

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

or

Rey Maualuga

[Image: 61%2BpwaHO2UL._AC_SY445_.jpg]
Reply/Quote
IMO, Dhani looked better than he was - by default, because our LB's were in such bad shape when we signed him. He was a smart, Chris Crocker-like player for us, but he was close to being out of the league before we signed him.

Maualuga is one of those players who was a victim of expectations. When he "fell" to us in the 2nd, people thought he was going to be a game-changer. He wasn't that, but he was definitely a solid "thumper" for us for a lot of years. The game eventually changed though, and the big thumper type really didn't really fit with the modern NFL.

To sum it up, I liked Maualuga better. Solid player for more years than was Dhani.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 03:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: IMO, Dhani looked better than he was - by default, because our LB's were in such bad shape when we signed him. He was a smart, Chris Crocker-like player for us, but he was close to being out of the league before we signed him.

Maualuga is one of those players who was a victim of expectations. When he "fell" to us in the 2nd, people thought he was going to be a game-changer. He wasn't that, but he was definitely a solid "thumper" for us for a lot of years. The game eventually changed though, and the big thumper type really didn't really fit with the modern NFL.

To sum it up, I liked Maualuga better. Solid player for more years than was Dhani.

Rey Rey for the exact same reasons. Well put brother.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 03:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: IMO, Dhani looked better than he was - by default, because our LB's were in such bad shape when we signed him. He was a smart, Chris Crocker-like player for us, but he was close to being out of the league before we signed him.

I also voted Maualuga and liked him better. This ^ post is most excellent in summing up why.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Shake made a good argument for Rey but I voted Dhani cause he made the entire Defense better with his smarts.

Plus Rey was just not good in coverage at all.
Reply/Quote
Rey we had what 6 top 10 defenses when he was here( 09, 11,12,13,15,16) vs one 09 when Dhaini was here.
Rey wasn't a three Down player but he was solid against the run as well. I was hard on him after the Texans playoff loss in 12 but he really did improve after that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Dhani. He had 3 straight 100+ tackles seasons for us, and was one smart dude. Plus he had his own travel show. Rey didn’t have his own travel show.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 03:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: IMO, Dhani looked better than he was - by default, because our LB's were in such bad shape when we signed him. He was a smart, Chris Crocker-like player for us, but he was close to being out of the league before we signed him.

(04-13-2020, 03:18 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Rey Rey for the exact same reasons.  Well put brother.

(04-13-2020, 03:31 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also voted Maualuga and liked him better. This ^ post is most excellent in summing up why.

Hmm, if the 3 of you voted for Maualuga, and then I did as well, how come there's only 3 votes for Maualuga on the board??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Voted for Rey.

As a player, Maualuga 100%.

As a person, few are as awesome a person in the NFL, as Dhani is.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The amount of times I saw Maualuga at Party Source was unhealthy for both him and me. Voted Jones because I didn't like Reys (seeming) lack of commitment to the game.
Reply/Quote
Rey Maualuga
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 07:53 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: The amount of times I saw Maualuga at Party Source was unhealthy for both him and me. Voted Jones because I didn't like Reys (seeming) lack of commitment to the game.

Plus there was the whole underage girls thing...

Reply/Quote
What did Chad say to Carson years ago when they were both mic'd up during a TV timeout? "Man they all suck...".

This one's truly a push for me. Maualuga had his moments, and the defense seemed to improve against the run when he returned from injury in 2014... He didn't seem overly bright. Burfict and 8 think even Thomas Howard before him we're wearing the headset to the sidelines.

Dhani seemed to help the LB play improve when he arrived. He rarely made any sort of splash, but always seemed pretty solid... Definitely brighter than Rey Rey... He probably would've been a push with Vincent Rey with me too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 09:11 PM)jason Wrote: What did Chad say to Carson years ago when they were both mic'd up during a TV timeout? "Man they all suck...".

This one's truly a push for me. Maualuga had his moments, and the defense seemed to improve against the run when he returned from injury in 2014... He didn't seem overly bright. Burfict and 8 think even Thomas Howard before him we're wearing the headset to the sidelines.

Dhani seemed to help the LB play improve when he arrived. He rarely made any sort of splash, but always seemed pretty solid... Definitely brighter than Rey Rey... He probably would've been a push with Vincent Rey with me too.

Vinny Rey was a very good UDFA for us man. Always liked Vinny.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 09:11 PM)jason Wrote: What did Chad say to Carson years ago when they were both mic'd up during a TV timeout? "Man they all suck...".

I remember hearing from a reliable source that Maualuga had the worst results in franchise history on some IQ type testing the team does. Apparently like box of rocks level dumb...

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember hearing from a reliable source that Maualuga had the worst results in franchise history on some IQ type testing the team does. Apparently like box of rocks level dumb...

Haha...

Bag of hammers...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 06:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dhani. He had 3 straight 100+ tackles seasons for us, and was one smart dude. Plus he had his own travel show. Rey didn’t have his own travel show.

Let's not forget the bow ties either! Dhani made a lot of tackles, and was the consummate professional at all times. They were both decent players for us, neither was super great, but neither was bad either; and I'll leave it at that.
Reply/Quote

He was without a job 2 weeks into the season, but I think he was far from washed up.  He was only 29 and he had been a starter for 5 straight years with the Eagles and Giants before the Bengals signed him in 2007.  He had started for 3 playoff teams ('02 Giants, '04 Eagles, '06 Eagles) two of which had top ten defenses ('02, '04).  He started in the Super Bowl for the '04 Eagles.

His timing with the Bengals was perfect.  The first half of the '07 season the Bengals had a horrid defense (32nd points, 31st yards).  In the 8th game of the year a Bills team with an offense that would rank 31st in the league embarrassed the Bengals defense for 17 fourth quarter points in a come from behind win.  The next week the Bengals rolled out a rebuilt unit.  Cornerback Deltha O'Neal was benched for rookie Leon Hall.  Starting SLB Rashad Jeanty returned from injury to replace Robert Geathers.  Geather moved back to DE replacing Bryan Robinson.  And finally, Dhani Jones replaced Landon Johnson at WLB allowing Johnson to replace Anthony Schlegal at MLB.  In total they had new starters at 5 positions and no off week to prepare, but the new unit played brilliantly. They held the Ravens to 272 yards and 7 points.  Over the final half of the season the defense ranked 8th in yards per game, and after a 2-6 start they finished 5-3.

Next year a guy named Mike Zimmer came to town, and over the next three seasons Dhani was #11 in the league tackles and the Bengals defense ranked #9 in yards allowed.
Reply/Quote