Poll: Who will be the better QB moving forward?
Dalton
McCarron
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you think will have a better future in the NFL at QB?
(09-02-2015, 03:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't know if you listen to much local talk radio but I've heard a lot of people yammering about how AJ needs to get a shot.  It was the point where Lance felled compelled to address it on his blog, here: http://www.espn1530.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/bengals-repeat-after-me-there-is-13902264/

So, I'm sorry, I don't think I'm exaggerating anything.  I'm not sure or not if you follow the chatter outside of the bubble that is Jungle Noise but I assure you it's more than just a few people.  And I'm not sure I've seen this amount of "hype" surround a later round pick QB ever in my 30 plus years of watching the Bengals.  It seems different to me this time.  I think that may because so many have doubts about Dalton that they're desperate to look for an heir apparent, mixed with the recent success of Alabama.

As far people seeing "good things" from him, and that's it in a nutshell.  Again, we've seen "good things" from plenty of QB's in the preseason.  I just can't ever remember so many wanting to late round pick to have a chance to start.  It has nothing to do with it bothering me that he's done well and everything to do with it striking me as unusual.

If you're talking about local talk radio, which, incidentally, was not in the post I quoted, then I am uniformed and uninterested.  Maybe those are the people you should be talking to because there is no hype train around here.  Excuse me for not knowing your unstated intent.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 06:32 PM)type_stripe Wrote: When McCarron is in the NFL for 4 seasons, we'll know.

Not if he sits on the bench for those 4 years.

Not sure how long Brady rode the wood before Bledsoe got hurt, but he was going nowhere until that injury.

Not equating McCarron's talent with Brady's - just saying he was going to go nowhere until Bledsoe got hurt.  But once Belichick got an eyeful of Brady, he never looked back.

So that's two things that would have to happen - that are pretty darn unlikely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The true answer
Reply/Quote
Dalton has more wins right now than ANY Tampa Bay QB in their entire history.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 04:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I like AJ, let me say that first.

However, I have no idea how you can rate ball placement, pocket awareness, route anticipation and since 2013 was AD's best year (year #3) I have no idea you basis for what to me appears to be a lot of assumptions. AJ has not played one regular season NFL team yet, he has yet to play one NFL team who game planned to stop him and our offense.

As far as football IQ, it has been proven Griffin struggles reading defenses where AD has quickly become very good. AD audibles well as has been given the authority to audible according to Hue Jackson, this speaks volumes of his football IQ. Griffin has proven to be Vick #2, a great athlete who struggles to see the game. The problem with Griffin is his speed has diminished due to injury and I am not sure nor is Gruden he will ever be able to a pocket passer.

Forgot to mention AJ's command of the huddle as well.

Ball placement is pretty simple to see.
Which QB's receivers are catching the ball on the run vs stopping/jumping or stretching for it consistently?
The others are tougher to see and I'd love to see more of it, but AJ was known at Alabama for his pocket presence already, and you saw him moving around, yes, he got drilled a couple times, but his pocket just completely collapsed and that's not the OL that would normally be out there. We had 2nd stringers in vs 1st stringers on Defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 07:33 PM)Stormborn Wrote: The true answer

But remember we don't need a guy like that; we have the franchise QB already here! Andy Dalton!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 09:02 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: But remember we don't need a guy like that; we have the franchise QB already here! Andy Dalton!

Can only dream A.J. gets to this level. Teddy is a top teired QB in the making, does things on a regular basis that players his age are still grasping the concept of.

You can win with Andy, but he never reached this type of pocket ability and likely never will.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 09:47 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Can only dream A.J. gets to this level. Teddy is a top teired QB in the making, does things on a regular basis that players his age are still grasping the concept of.

You can win with Andy, but he never reached this type of pocket ability and likely never will.

Ya Teddy is definitely the best young QB of the bunch.. other than maybe RW who we will learn a lot about this upcoming season.

I forgot, did we have a chance at Teddy? or was he gone by the time we picked? I didn't think too much of him at the time, but now I think the guy is great.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 10:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya Teddy is definitely the best young QB of the bunch.. other than maybe RW who we will learn a lot about this upcoming season.

I forgot, did we have a chance at Teddy? or was he gone by the time we picked? I didn't think too much of him at the time, but now I think the guy is great.

He looks good no doubt but do you remember ESPN's pre-draft competition where AJ scored slightly above Teddy. Keep in mind this was before AJ's shoulder surgery and before his tweaks with Tom House.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 06:59 PM)McC Wrote: If you're talking about local talk radio, which, incidentally, was not in the post I quoted, then I am uniformed and uninterested.  Maybe those are the people you should be talking to because there is no hype train around here.  Excuse me for not knowing your unstated intent.

Why would I need to specifically mention everywhere I've heard people talking up AJ McCarron?  I simply said I've never seen some people in this fanbase as excited for a 5th round pick.  That means on here, on the radio, my friends, around the watercooler, etc.  I'm just talking about what I've personally heard from fans.

I didn't know I needed to check with you before referencing opinions outside of the 50 or less people that regular post on here.  But next time I'll be sure to make a note of it for you, as to avoid any more confusion.   Rolleyes

Oh, and you're right about no hype train around here.  None at all.  Except for the fact there is a 21 page thread discussing whether or not he's going to be a "future star":  http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-AJ-McCarron-is-a-future-star
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 10:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya Teddy is definitely the best young QB of the bunch.. other than maybe RW who we will learn a lot about this upcoming season.

He went 8 picks after Dennard, 32nd overall.

(09-02-2015, 10:36 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: He looks good no doubt but do you remember ESPN's pre-draft competition where AJ scored slightly above Teddy. Keep in mind this was before AJ's shoulder surgery and before his tweaks with Tom House.

...You mean the skills competition they have the day of the Super Bowl?

...ok...
Reply/Quote
Dalton will have the better career. McCarron will be our Frank Reich.
Reply/Quote
This is Andy's last year as the starter in Cincinnati. Whether or not A.J. replaces him remains to be seen, but I see Andy get worse - not better.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:38 AM)Beaker Wrote: Dalton will have the better career. McCarron will be our Frank Reich.

1. Dalton is no Jim Kelly.
2. Do you mean McCarron will lead us to a miracle comeback in the playoffs?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 02:44 AM)Utts Wrote: This is Andy's last year as the starter in Cincinnati. Whether or not A.J. replaces him remains to be seen, but I see Andy get worse - not better.

I very much doubt that. If Dalton was as bad as you see him he would have been out of Cincinnati in 2012, because we would have drafted Luck.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 11:04 PM)Stormborn Wrote: ...You mean the skills competition they have the day of the Super Bowl?

...ok...

No, I mean this one. I only bring it up because everyone enamored over Teddy. Their rankings gave Teddy 83.4 and AJ 83.6. Not much difference but AJ won and this was pre-draft when people thought he would be a 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:13 AM)BayouBengal Wrote:

No, I mean this one. I only bring it up because everyone enamored over Teddy. Their rankings gave Teddy 83.4 and AJ 83.6. Not much difference but AJ won and this was pre-draft when people thought he would be a 2nd rounder.

Ponder is at the top of the list they show lol don't know how great of a scout sports science really is. The Dalton one isn't too bad either
Reply/Quote
As others have said, the odds are with Dalton at this point.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 10:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Why would I need to specifically mention everywhere I've heard people talking up AJ McCarron?  I simply said I've never seen some people in this fanbase as excited for a 5th round pick.  That means on here, on the radio, my friends, around the watercooler, etc.  I'm just talking about what I've personally heard from fans.

I didn't know I needed to check with you before referencing opinions outside of the 50 or less people that regular post on here.  But next time I'll be sure to make a note of it for you, as to avoid any more confusion.   Rolleyes

Oh, and you're right about no hype train around here.  None at all.  Except for the fact there is a 21 page thread discussing whether or not he's going to be a "future star":  http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-AJ-McCarron-is-a-future-star

One guy said he would be a star and then everyone else spent the 20 pages arguing that he wouldn't.  Sorry, you've got nothing but a vivid imagination.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:13 AM)BayouBengal Wrote:

Somehow you've made your point more invalid.

How the **** does this mean anything? John Skelton set the record for this or something. It has no clear correlation of translating to NFL success. Why? Because it takes place in a ***** science lab, a fake one more specifically.

You've just made a mockery of the entire evaluation process and I need no further proof ever that your a biased McCarron/Alabama fan, who would negate all conclusive game film and resort to SPORTS SCIENCE for argumental support.

BTW, I've always hated Louisville sports. UC for life.
Reply/Quote