Poll: WHo do you want #2
Current Bengal
Matt Moore
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles
Josh McCown
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you want as Back up QB
With the Bengals giving Andy his release that he asked for we must now address QB #2. So who you got and why? I've created a poll..feel free to vote
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Finley, easy answer. He has a year in the system and will be invaluable in the QB room, practices and games as a second pair of eyes for Burrow. He’ll never be a good starter, but he is good to have as a backup. Not to mention he’s cheap and under contract for a few more years.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather spend the $$ freed up in other ways:

1) Extensions. Green, Mixon. Maybe WJ3 and Ross if the price is right.

2) Affordable vet help: OL (Peters), DL, TE.

3) Perhaps a big ticket guy who gets cut: DL, OL.

I will give Finley another year as QB2. But I'd rather spend the cash helping QB1.
Reply/Quote
Moore. He’s proven he can actually win games, and he’ll be dirt cheap.

Finley and his noodle arm would doom our season if we had to depend on him. And I have no idea what we have in Dolegala.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Moore. He’s proven he can actually win games, and he’ll be dirt cheap.

Finley and his noodle arm would doom our season if we had to depend on him. And I have no idea what we have in Dolegala.

Not sure of the actual number, so I’m going to be a bit hyperbolic, but if your starting QB goes down, your season is doomed 95% of the time anyways. Unless you’re lucky enough to have a starting caliber backup in the wings like NO and Bridgewater last year.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton.

Probably won't happen, but he is the best option out of what is available.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Finley, easy answer. He has a year in the system and will be invaluable in the QB room, practices and games as a second pair of eyes for Burrow. He’ll never be a good starter, but he is good to have as a backup. Not to mention he’s cheap and under contract for a few more years.

Can't he be all them things from the Practice Squad?

My first choice if healthy would be Josh McCown. So much experience and to be honest Drago isn't a bad Quarterback even at his age.

Second choice and most likely outside of no one would be Matt Moore. Familiarity with Taylor from Miami and he's probably the best backup left in Free Agency.
Reply/Quote
On that list, I'd say Matt Moore.

Watching Bortles play is just plain painful. He can run for a first down but nobody likes him as a passer.

I'd consider Flacco but only if he has stopped considering himself a starter and is ready to be content with being backup. Like somebody else said, he was quite a dick in Denver last year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not sure of the actual number, so I’m going to be a bit hyperbolic, but if your starting QB goes down, your season is doomed 95% of the time anyways. Unless you’re lucky enough to have a starting caliber backup in the wings like NO and Bridgewater last year.

Depends how long. Mahomes only missed a couple games last year. Still, without that win Moore got NE would have had a better record and the 2 seed iirc.

Reply/Quote
I was going to say Flacco due to his experience in the division and his experience as a winning QB and champion.

That said, I'm not sure what his price would be, or how he'll manage transitioning to a backup/mentor role.

Matt Moore would be just about perfect.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd go with Moore.  The current Bengals QBs are never going to see the field and don't strike me as knowledgeable mentors.  BORT Bottles is pricey and doesn't know the system, Flacco is a miserable bag of dicks who resents the mentor role.  Dalton on a scrapheap deal would work but I don't see it happening.  McCown is probably ready to be an actual coach by this point.
Reply/Quote
Ryan Finley. The coaches drafted him for this purpose.

A real offseason and a chance to work with NFL level coaches to work on his throwing mechanics I think Finley will hold the backup QB spot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:57 PM)Synric Wrote: Ryan Finley. The coaches drafted him for this purpose.

A real offseason and a chance to work with NFL level coaches to work on his throwing mechanics I think Finley will hold the backup QB spot.

Could be. 

Personally, I think Dolegala gives him a real run for his money.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Dolegala should automatically be ahead of Finley on the depth chart due to his name being so much fun to say.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not sure of the actual number, so I’m going to be a bit hyperbolic, but if your starting QB goes down, your season is doomed 95% of the time anyways. 

This is not true at all.

Last year Brees missed 5 games and Mahommes missed three.  Both those teams made the playoffs.

2018 Wentz misses 5 games but Eagles make playoffs

In 2017 SIX of the eight playoff teams had their starting QB miss at least one game (LA, Min, Buf, Phi, Ten, Pitt)
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true at all.

Last year Brees missed 5 games and Mahommes missed three.  Both those teams made the playoffs.

2018 Wentz misses 5 games but Eagles make playoffs

In 2017 SIX of the eight playoff teams had their starting QB miss at least one game (LA, Min, Buf, Phi, Ten, Pitt)

I mean you could have read the next line where I said unless you have a starting quality backup like Bridgewater. Eagles had Foles. Both already had time in the system before they were asked to start.

What were the records of those teams in 2017 in the games the backups started? You can still make the playoffs if you have a backup start one game and lose.

I can only recall a few recent examples where the starter missed extended time and the team still won without him. Cassell in NE, Foles in PHI and Bridgewater in NO.
Reply/Quote
I went Flacco because of how familiar he is with the AFC North and AFC in general. He would be a great mentor player coach for Burrow navigating through his first season. No one else even comes close to this, other than if they would re-sign Andy as the backup, which I cant see happening.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I want to work a deal with Miami and get some Fitzmagic in here as backup. The Dolphins may be pissed that they couldn't get us to trade back and let them have Burrow, but they now have Tua, Josh Rosen, Fitzpatrick and Jake Rudock. They ought to let us get Fitz. He only has a year left on a 2 year 11 mil deal. Work on it Katie....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I want to work a deal with Miami and get some Fitzmagic in here as backup. The Dolphins may be pissed that they couldn't get us to trade back and let them have Burrow, but they now have Tua, Josh Rosen, Fitzpatrick and Jake Rudock. They ought to let us get Fitz. He only has a year left on a 2 year 11 mil deal. Work on it Katie....

If they’re smart they will start Fitz next season and let Tua fully heal up. There’s plenty of good options at backup QB without trading for one and giving something up.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:50 PM)McC Wrote: On that list, I'd say Matt Moore.

Watching Bortles play is just plain painful.  He can run for a first down but nobody likes him as a passer.

I'd consider Flacco but only if he has stopped considering himself a starter and is ready to be content with being  backup.  Like somebody else said, he was quite a dick in Denver last year.

The best things about Bortles are:
He knows the pressures of being the 1st QB taken in the draft
He's worked as the back up to a QB taken #1OA
He's got post season success
He's played in McVay's system
He played for $1 MIL last year. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote