Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you want the Bengals to stay away from?
With the draft just days away, who are the players you absolutely would HATE to see the Bengals pick?

Obviously, it is all relative to draft position. A player you'd hate to see at 33 is fine at 65, so I'll give you my list.

1. Denzel Mims in the 2nd round.

I get why people like him. He had decent production in college, he ran a 4.38 40 and has great size.

... But I watch him and I just don't see him getting consistent separation. He uses a very subtle push off a lot right before the ball arrives and, while it wasn't called a lot in college, I think NFL refs watch offensive PI a little closer. And he doesn't play up to his 40 time at all. He also has a relatively high drop percentage. And I am just, in general, very nervous about major off season risers. How did evaluators watch him at the end of the season and say "3rd or 4th rounder" and then, with no real games played past that point, change their mind to "elite first round prospect" because of a week of practices and a 40 yard run?

Also worth noting: the players he beat at CB at the Senior bowl? ...Not a single day 1 or day 2 prospect among them. Troy Pride Jr, Michael Ojemudia, Lamar Jackson, Javaris Davis, Essang Bassey, Terrell Burgess were the CBs on the North team, where Mims made his name in the practices. In the actual game, he played against the South team CBs, who were Kindle Vildor, Dane Jackson, A.J. Green, Reggie Robinson II and Darnay Holmes. Holmes may go in the 3rd round as a slot corner, but the rest are also day 3 corners.

So are we really surprised that Mims did well against future day 3 and undrafted cornerbacks? Honestly, I'm kind of nervous about any WR that became well known because of the Senior Bowl practices. That includes Van Jefferson, K.J. Hill and Anthony Gandy-Golden. All of these guys got a stock bump from the Senior bowl playing against exclusively bad cornerbacks.

Its just too many concerns and weaknesses. I see some mock drafts having the Bengals take him at 33 and I'm just nervous about him replacing AJ. He's a very risky prospect to me.

2 through 4. Van Jefferson, K.J. Hill and Anthony Gandy Golden in the 4th round (or earlier).

For the reasons I mentioned above. The Senior Bowl had such a huge mismatch in talent between WRs and CBs, it'd be hard to take any stock gain for the WRs with any level of credulity. If they want to take a flier on them in the 5th or 6th round, I understand, but not in the 4th.

5. Jordyn Brooks in the 3rd round (or earlier).

Brooks is beginning to get day 2 hype and it's beginning to worry me. This guy is a fine run stopper, but that role is consistently becoming less valuable in the NFL. I just can't justify picking a linebacker who is super one dimensional in day 2, especially at the top of either round. He may be great against the run, but linebacker is evolving in the NFL. These run pluggers are barely even 2 down players anymore. With so many teams running 3 WR sets as their base set, you really only need 2 starting LBs, maybe even 1 if you have a big safety playing a nickel backer role. And that 1 or 2 starting LBs should definitely be able to at least sit in a middle zone competently (and, ideally, be able to cover a TE or RB in a pinch) which I am not certain Brooks is capable of doing.

If Brooks is still there in day 3, I'd consider him. But I just don't think the role he fills is worth a day 2 pick in today's NFL.

6. Lloyd Cushenberry III in the 2nd round.

If you watch Cushenberry against Auburn
If you watch Cushenberry against Auburn, you'd instantly want us to stay away from him forever. He just gets so thoroughly bombarded by Derrick Brown...and granted Brown is a great player, but a 33rd pick in the draft needs to at least stand their ground against a player like that. They'll run into a lot of Browns in the NFL. I think Cushenberry benefited a ton from Burrow's agility and mobility in the pocket as well as the quick hitting plays that LSU called. I'd consider him in the 3rd or 4th round if we need a back up center, but I am very nervous about moving a guy like him to guard, considering how much he can be pushed off the ball.

7. Netane Muti in the 3rd round (or earlier).

The injuries man. They just scare the daylights out of me. His potential is sky high, but we can't spend a top 100 pick on a guy who could conceivably spend more time on the injury list than active list. A day 3 pick you can take a risk on a talented player who can't stay healthy, but in the first 3 rounds, steer clear.

8 and 9. Austin Jackson or Ezra Cleveland in the 2nd round.

I know it's low hanging fruit and I know it's been said time and time again, but Jackson and Cleveland just seem like Ogbuehi clones to me. A promising OT with great athleticism who won't be ready to start until he adds strength. Ugh. I know similar prospects don't always come out the same, but I think I'm suffering from PCOTD.

Who are your guys?
Reply/Quote
Zach Baun
Reply/Quote
When it comes to LBers I don’t want them to take another run stuffer early. Really want a guy who can do everything right away or can be taught to be even just an average run stuffer.

Definitely not Willie Gay. Too many red flags and not enough lateral quickness.
Reply/Quote
Evan Weaver
Logan Wilson
Joe Bachie
Austin Jackson
Justin Jefferson
Laviska shenault
Calvin Throckmorton
Cole Kmet
Curtis Weaver
Van Jefferson
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 09:05 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: When it comes to LBers I don’t want them to take another run stuffer early. Really want a guy who can do everything right away or can be taught to be even just an average run stuffer.

Red flags? Ok. Not enough lateral quickness? Not even close to being true. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 12:15 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Red flags? Ok. Not enough lateral quickness? Not even close to being true. 

I’m at work and the bosses don’t like me on my phone lol so I wrote something dumb.

Sideline to sideline speed. My bad!
Reply/Quote
The Miami Dolphins
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Zach Braun.
Reply/Quote
Nice post CJD, I understand all your concerns about all those guys. Still think Mims is really sly at pushing off so of
the guys you listed I still like him at 33 with his size and speed and subtlety. The one guy I want us to stay away from
is definitely William Gay Jr.

This dude punched his QB in the face, cheated in college and has other flags with his attitude. It is okay with me if you
have one occurrence, maybe two and it matters about the situation but it is a sign when you have multiple occurences.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 03:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Zach Braun.

No such thing
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 12:12 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Zach Baun

What do you guys dislike about Baun? Just the fact that he's a tweener? Or fears that he doesn't have the range to play off ball linebacker?

(04-18-2020, 09:05 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: When it comes to LBers I don’t want them to take another run stuffer early. Really want a guy who can do everything right away or can be taught to be even just an average run stuffer. 

(04-18-2020, 04:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post CJD, I understand all your concerns about all those guys. Still think Mims is really sly at pushing off so of
the guys you listed I still like him at 33 with his size and speed and subtlety. The one guy I want us to stay away from
is definitely William Gay Jr.

This dude punched his QB in the face, cheated in college and has other flags with his attitude. It is okay with me if you
have one occurrence, maybe two and it matters about the situation but it is a sign when you have multiple occurences.

I'm on board with avoiding Willie Gay Jr. I am very tempted by his athleticism and agility, as well as the passion he plays with. But he seems like a Vontaze Burfict style player. You'll love him for the energy and ability he has on the field, you'll hate him for the brashness and unnecessary issues that keep him off the field.

If he were there in the 4th or 5th, I think I'd be forced to take a long look at him simply because of how good of a talent he is, but before that I'd avoid him as well.
Is there any point at which you would consider him?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: What do you guys dislike about Baun? Just the fact that he's a tweener? Or fears that he doesn't have the range to play off ball linebacker?

I'm on board with avoiding Willie Gay Jr. I am very tempted by his athleticism and agility, as well as the passion he plays with. But he seems like a Vontaze Burfict style player. You'll love him for the energy and ability he has on the field, you'll hate him for the brashness and unnecessary issues that keep him off the field.

If he were there in the 4th or 5th, I think I'd be forced to take a long look at him simply because of how good of a talent he is, but before that I'd avoid him as well.
Is there any point at which you would consider him?

I guess I would consider him in the 6th or 7th. Not in the mid rounds.

BTW, don't know why these guys would stay away from arguably the 2nd best Linebacker in this class that does everything well lol
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess I would consider him in the 6th or 7th. Not in the mid rounds.

BTW, don't know why these guys would stay away from arguably the 2nd best Linebacker in this class that does everything well lol

I dunno haha. To me, Baun is kind of exactly what we want at LB. But maybe I'm missing something. I'm always interested to hear what people don't like about different prospects. It can sometimes be too easy to ignore or miss a player's weakness if you fall in love with them as a prospect. It's why I watch so much stuff on Burrow. I keep wanting to see the weaknesses so that I can be more informed on what he can and cannot do.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I dunno haha. To me, Baun is kind of exactly what we want at LB. But maybe I'm missing something. I'm always interested to hear what people don't like about different prospects. It can sometimes be too easy to ignore or miss a player's weakness if you fall in love with them as a prospect. It's why I watch so much stuff on Burrow. I keep wanting to see the weaknesses so that I can be more informed on what he can and cannot do.

Think it says a lot when these guys only say his name and have no reasons behind it.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 04:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Think it says a lot when these guys only say his name and have no reasons behind it.

I'm thinking that some are anti Baun, because they are in favor of selecting a WR or other position at that draft slot.  You know how it goes around here, once some folks pick "their guy", everyone else just sucks because they aren't "that guy".  It's sort of like they put all their money on one horse, and are just rooting for all of the others to break a leg.  Kind of like that pop song said "I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road, and ride til' I can't no more".   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 11:45 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Evan Weaver
Logan Wilson
Joe Bachie
Austin Jackson
Justin Jefferson
Laviska shenault
Calvin Throckmorton
Cole Kmet
Curtis Weaver
Van Jefferson

why logan wilson??
Reply/Quote

He pretty much is an anatomical guy. Fits into a lot of different positions and can cover pretty well.

Another guy is Yetur Gross-Matos. I keep reading he is just like Carlos Dunlap so I got all excited but when I watch the tape I just don’t see it. The body type is identical almost but he isn’t aggressive enough. Carlos also had all the talent but his knock was dogging plays too often. Yetur doesn’t do that but he is really raw, doesn’t mean play well in space and looks list on passing downs. No thanks.
Reply/Quote
Malik Harrison OSU Inconsistent play, not strong in covering and not very disciplined in his play... I just don;t think he fits Bengals well and I hope we stay away from him as a whole in the projected rounds he would be drafted
Reply/Quote
Jordyn Brooks
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 02:24 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: The Miami Dolphins

Best answer of the thread.

Reply/Quote