Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else was conflicted during this game?
(12-08-2019, 11:40 PM)BengalChris Wrote: By the time they can draft 6-8 starters, another 5 spots will open up due to age or free agency losses. The team's refusal to sign decent upgrades in free agency continues to limit the talent on the roster.

It’s the never ending cycle of stupidity in Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:40 PM)BengalChris Wrote: By the time they can draft 6-8 starters, another 5 spots will open up due to age or free agency losses. The team's refusal to sign decent upgrades in free agency continues to limit the talent on the roster.

I hear they've been looking at bringing Eric Ghiaciuc back  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:39 PM)jason Wrote: I wanted them to win today... Damn that number 1 pick. The Browns have replaced Pittsburgh as my most hated NFL team.

What you said.

I want to win every game and pick 32d.

Okay, I’m just going to say it: Lusting over the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft is how losers think. Fretting over who will go first is loser talk among losers. The Patriots don’t want the number one pick. The Steelers don’t want the number one pick. If your team picks number one then you’re not just one pick away from success; your team is horrible in every dimension.

Such a team is the modern Bengals, run by a loser owner and instructed by loser coaches. They suck at all things football so why on earth would anyone think they’ll be good at the draft? There’s no system in Cincinnati to draft players around; this is almost sandlot football where team captains pick players.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:54 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What you said.  

I want to win every game and pick 32d.  

Okay, I’m just going to say it: Lusting over the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft is how losers think.  Fretting over who will go first is loser talk among losers.  The Patriots don’t want the number one pick.  The Steelers don’t want the number one pick.  If your team picks number one then you’re not just one pick away from success; your team is horrible in every dimension.  

Such a team is the modern Bengals, run by a loser owner and instructed by loser coaches.  They suck at all things football so why on earth would anyone think they’ll be good at the draft?  There’s no system in Cincinnati to draft players around; this is almost sandlot football where team captains pick players.

Going into the season nobody is rooting for the number 1 pick. We are now 1-12 with 3 games left. I am now rooting for the number one pick. I was not a Joe Burrow fan until this last Georgia game. LSU runs a pro-style offense and I like how competitive he plays. He hates losing more than he likes winning. That is the type of QB we need here. 
Reply/Quote
I wasn’t really conflicted during this game as I’ve mostly stopped watching this team. Since old habits die hard I found myself rooting for them when they popped up on the red zone channel. Towards the end of the game i was rooting for the loss. If that doesn’t make me a fan in some eyes oh well.

If seems clear we will be moving on from dalton this year or next. This draft will hopefully net a franchise qb. It will remain to be seen how this team will surround him with other talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:12 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Going into the season nobody is rooting for the number 1 pick. We are now 1-12 with 3 games left. I am now rooting for the number one pick. I was not a Joe Burrow fan until this last Georgia game. LSU runs a pro-style offense and I like how competitive he plays. He hates losing more than he likes winning. That is the type of QB we need here. 

QB's that hate losing + the Bengals = A recipe for a disgruntled QB who leaves like Palmer

The Bengals seem to like docile coaches and QB's who don't rock the boat.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:12 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Going into the season nobody is rooting for the number 1 pick. We are now 1-12 with 3 games left. I am now rooting for the number one pick. I was not a Joe Burrow fan until this last Georgia game. LSU runs a pro-style offense and I like how competitive he plays. He hates losing more than he likes winning. That is the type of QB we need here. 

Anyone that wants to win at this point is clueless.  The only way this franchise can turn things around is if we somehow acquire an elite QB. Burrow has a chance to be just that, so we have to root for this team to lose in order to get that #1 pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:41 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Anyone that wants to win at this point is clueless.  The only way this franchise can turn things around is if we somehow acquire an elite QB.

...who they will ruin. Every quarterback the Cincinnati Bengals have drafted since Mike Brown took over has been a colossal bust. Carson Palmer was a winner everywhere he went until he got here. It took longer to ruin Andy Dalton, but the team and the coaches finally did it. What makes you think an elite quarterback will ever succeed in Cincinnati?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:11 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...who they will ruin.   Every quarterback the Cincinnati Bengals have drafted since Mike Brown took over has been a colossal bust. Carson Palmer was a winner everywhere he went until he got here. It took longer to ruin Andy Dalton, but the team and the coaches finally did it. What makes you think an elite quarterback will ever succeed in Cincinnati?

Might as well board up the doors, decline the draft, and forfeit the 2020 season.  Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:15 AM)Synric Wrote: Might as well board up the doors, decline the draft, and forfeit the 2020 season.  Ninja

A bit extreme — but I haven’t lost all hope. We don’t decline the draft but there better be an improved system in place by the time the draft rolls around. It’s time to stop picking “projects,” the injured, the lame, and plasters with “potential” and pick players who can contribute immediately.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:41 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Anyone that wants to win at this point is clueless.  The only way this franchise can turn things around is if we somehow acquire an elite QB. Burrow has a chance to be just that, so we have to root for this team to lose in order to get that #1 pick.

Sorta... But a lot of elite QBs have been drafted without the team that got them losing an excessive amount of games. The fact of the matter is that the odds are even that Burrow is a bust or he's an elite QB.

QBs tend to succeed when they're drafted into a good situation. None of the top QBs in the league right now we're the first QB taken in their draft class.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:23 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: A bit extreme — but I haven’t lost all hope.  We don’t decline the draft but there better be an improved system in place by the time the draft rolls around.  It’s time to stop picking “projects,” the injured, the lame, and plasters with “potential” and pick players who can contribute immediately.

So they can draft a Quarterback and he will succeed if you build around him? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:25 AM)Synric Wrote: So they can draft a Quarterback and he will succeed if you build around him? 

Sure — but the Bengals won’t build around anyone. They don’t know how. They are even too stupid to build an offense around Joe Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:01 PM)Synric Wrote: You lost me at Jalen Hurts.

This has been said before and will need to be repeated over the course of the draft process....Jalen Hurts is not Lamar Jackson.

Tiger  I didn't state it, but I don't think he is either. He is a very capable QB throwing the ball. If that should break down or even a couple designed QB runs he's capable of doing that also.

Hurts is also someone I believe could be somebody ZT (or some other offensive minded HC) could build an offense around...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:11 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...who they will ruin.   Every quarterback the Cincinnati Bengals have drafted since Mike Brown took over has been a colossal bust. Carson Palmer was a winner everywhere he went until he got here. It took longer to ruin Andy Dalton, but the team and the coaches finally did it. What makes you think an elite quarterback will ever succeed in Cincinnati?

On the A Football Life episode, it mentioned how Plamer was close to being benched at USC due to poor play, but Norm Chow helped him to reach his potential.  Palmer has always needed a coach to help instill confidence, I think.  He also struggled at Oakland as well.  It wasn't until Arians got to him that he started doing well again.

I see what you are saying though.  Peyton Manning is the only QB I can think of that might have had enough mojo to actually implement some change here.  More likely, he would have wanted out after the 07 season.  

With that said, if this team can't build around Burrow, then I don't know what other option there is than to just shut the whole thing down.   
Reply/Quote
So, this season is lost. We do better to lose out. Most seem to think this draft is top heavy with the 1st two players...Burrow and Young. This team 'deserves' one of those two. Either would sell tickets and breathe some life into this franchise. Not only am I quietly indifferent about the Bengals losing but I find myself following other teams hoping they win. We want the Giants...2 victories...to win. We want Miami, Washington, Detroit, and Arizona.....3 victories....to win. And we want Atlanta and Jacksonville....4 victories....to win. Apparently we lose out on the tiebreakers.

Right now I don't want to draft 3rd and pick Herbert. That would be a disappointment
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:40 PM)BengalRed Wrote: As a day one Bengal fan I found myself pulling for a victory while hoping they would lose to keep the #1 pick in the draft and hopefully get Burrow. Bottom line I'm okay with the lose because it keeps us in the lead for #1. But it's painful to see them play so poorly. One would think after all these years (decades) one would get used to the bad losses but one never does.

With you 100%.  It is weird to root for them to lose.  Can't ever remember doing it before.  But, I still feel the best thing that can happen to the team is that #1 overall pick.

I am also rooting HARD for the Giants tonight.  Similarly weird. 
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:15 AM)Synric Wrote: Might as well board up the doors, decline the draft, and forfeit the 2020 season.  Ninja

Seriously. Now that was loser talk.

You can’t let history dictate the future. Just because Palmer and Dalton weren’t good enough to get us over the hump (they did get us close) doesn’t mean no QB will ever be able to.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:15 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: On the A Football Life episode, it mentioned how Plamer was close to being benched at USC due to poor play, but Norm Chow helped him to reach his potential.  Palmer has always needed a coach to help instill confidence, I think.  He also struggled at Oakland as well.  It wasn't until Arians got to him that he started doing well again.

I see what you are saying though.  Peyton Manning is the only QB I can think of that might have had enough mojo to actually implement some change here.  More likely, he would have wanted out after the 07 season.  

With that said, if this team can't build around Burrow, then I don't know what other option there is than to just shut the whole thing down.   
I get what you're saying and I think your observation about Peyton Manning is spot-on; he was basically the offensive coordinator and play caller in Indianapolis...

...but who says a team must be built around a quarterback?  This has worked, of course, but what about other options?  The Bengals have one of the best running backs in the league in Joe Mixon; an offense constructed around his strengths would be formidable.  The Cleveland Browns were built around Jim Brown for years and it worked beautifully.  One could build a team around four great wide receivers:  AJ Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, and Auden Tate.  You have no idea how bad I want to see those four guys on the field at the same time in 2020!  The Steelers build their entire offense around their offensive line which is perennially outstanding.*

Teams can be built around defense too.  The Ravens under Marvin Lewis were built around their linebackers and defensive line.  The 49ers are built around Nick Bosa.  The Bears are built around Khalil Mack.  Mike Zimmer built the Bengals' best defenses around the defensive line and Vontaze Burfict.

This brings me back to Andy Dalton; no, not his current capabilities but what we saw in his early years.  Other than center, Cincinnati had a decent offensive line, serviceable running backs in Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jeremy Hill, and Giovani Bernard, and of course the great AJ Green along with Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones at wide receiver -- and let's not forget Jermaine Gresham at tight end.  That lineup was so good when Andy went down, AJ McCarron came in and made the offense work almost seamlessly.  Heck, the Bengals were less than two minutes from winning a playoff game with that bunch!

What happened next?  Sanu, Gresham, Jones, and Hill all left.  Andrew Whitworth left.  Kevin Zeitler left.  Their replacements were not good, either.  Cedric Ogbuehi wasn't even worthy of lacing up Andrew Whitworth's cleats.  The scrubs who made the Bengals' first team starting in 2016 were horrible.  It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys. 

*Yes, I know, the Steelers hold a lot.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 08:37 AM)Goalpost Wrote: So, this season is lost.  We do better to lose out. Most seem to think this draft is top heavy with the 1st two players...Burrow and Young.    This team 'deserves' one of those two. Either would sell tickets and breathe some life into this franchise.  Not only am I quietly indifferent about the Bengals losing but I find myself following other teams hoping they win.  We want the Giants...2 victories...to win.  We want Miami, Washington, Detroit, and Arizona.....3 victories....to win.  And we want Atlanta and Jacksonville....4 victories....to win.  Apparently we lose out on the tiebreakers.

Right now I don't want to draft 3rd and pick Herbert.  That would be a disappointment

Drafting Herbert with the 3rd pick would make me puke in my mouth lol. We have too many other holes. He is a solid QB, but no intangibles and isnt a vocal leader and we need one. After sissy Palmer and mild mannered Dalton I want someone who has a little fire. Burrows does seem to fit that bill. He wins me over more every game he plays. If we cant get Burrows or Young, we need to look at other positions imo.
Reply/Quote