Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ?
Drafting of Tee Higgins makes the WR room alot more
Intresting to say the least
If Higgins can translate to the pro game does he claim that
Spot?
If John Ross can stay healthy does he secure that
Role all year?
Auden Tate isn't brought up too much but
He did really come into his own last year .
He showed the doubters he can play at this
Level despite inaccurate QBs throwing jim
The ball
The 3rd WR spot has been lacking some
Juice since Sanu left
Erickson never flashed much big play ability
Reply/Quote
I think AJ Green is our starting X, Ross is our starting Z and Boyd is our starting Slot to begin the season.

As far as Higgins goes, he has the vertical threat and size to play X and he has the toughness and catching ability to go over the middle in the slot or the Z, if you use the Z over the middle a lot in your concepts.

I am not sure how often he'll be played at the Z position because starting off the line of scrimmage means he will have to go further to get to his spot. It may not be by much, but every inch counts and I'm not certain he has the speed and acceleration required to be a Z. You could play him there if you treat him like a second X (where you throw him more 1 on 1 "get it" passes rather than precise route passes) especially since the Z often avoids the press, due to not being on the LOS. That could help Higgins early on, as he learns how to deal with the press. He may not have the elite acceleration to play Z, but he still has the size and catch radius so it'd probably be fine.

So I think Higgins will basically be the back up at each position, and will sub in throughout the formation.

Tate is a back up that could see some play due to injuries, but I don't think he beats out any of the top 4 for a spot when all are healthy.
Reply/Quote
I have to imagine it will be Higgins job from day 1. And barring injury, or him just playing terribly, it'll be his role all season.

I look for Ross to be used situationally. And I think him and Tate will both see some time in 4 WR sets.

Fwiw, I'm really rooting for Tate. He's earned a role and could factor in down the road. Ross on the other hand I think is good as gone after the season. It's a crowded room and I think he'll look to catch on elsewhere where in FA. I can't see us offering him any contract of note after the year.
Reply/Quote
With the depth and overall talent, they could go a number of ways regarding snaps. Part of it will be who has more chemistry with Burrow in Ross vs Higgins.

Tate will likely be a situational guy, that term should be a positive though. He will get his time as a fade option near the GL and slot guy with the roster lacking a lengthy field stretching TE. We can't blame all of his low catch ratio on our QB play on line play though.

Ross still has field stretching speed that you can move around the field. With his experience and ability to push the coverage back, we have a QB that threads an accurate deep ball and will carve them up short even if they hardly throw to Ross deep.

Both takes above have different roles for Higgins, they could go either way. They think enough of him to take him at 33 when other quality was going to be there later. That shows you that not only is he a future complement to Boyd but he is THE guy of the future. I could see CD's scenario, though it's a different staff they may move him all around like they did AJ as a rookie.

The "3rd spot" is not as much of a race as the offense and depth as a whole is. They're bulit to run even more 3 and 4 wide sets, for sure less 2 TE sets. They're going to rotate guys in and out to extend AJ physically, keep Boyd fresh with all the wear he takes over the middle and use the other 3 and some of Erickson. I think the snap counts of the 3 we are talking about, but the first two especially will be close. It also shows they're able to absorb a big injury and not miss much, that says a lot for a team coming off of 2-14
Reply/Quote
End of the season?

Boyd and Higgins number 1 and 2.

Green and Ross out with injury.

Tate and Erickson splitting time at #3.
Reply/Quote
I personally would hit reset on the depth chart and let whoever can build the greatest chemistry with Burrow out there at #3.

AJ is a lock if healthy. Boyd is a lock as well.

Outside of that, monitor who seems to have the best working relationship with Burrow and let that guy loose to make plays. I’m guessing it would be Higgins, but ya never know, maybe that undrafted dude from last year shows up big this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: End of the season?

This is sadly very likely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

It stings because it's plausible.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Tee Higgins.

Reply/Quote

This unfortunately probably correct.

My hope is Higgins is good enough to be proper replacement for green and evolves from a #3 at season start and becomes the number one by seasons end.
Reply/Quote
Question, does Tate’s value decrease with the addition of Burrow? My reasoning being a lot of Tate’s appeal last year was circus catches on incredibly high passes. That might not be as necessary with Burrow back there.

I like Tate, but I personally think he is buried on the depth chart on a team with two 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders on the roster...

Perhaps more of an asset once Ross is out of the picture and a good depth guy. I’m just not all in on Tate as other fans are I guess.
Reply/Quote
Gotta go with Higgins being the solid 3, and Ross more of a Gadget type player. Auden Tate will be used alot in the redzone.. One Thing, Burrow has a plethora of weapons to use...
Reply/Quote
I think the hope is that Ross breaks out and claims that other outside spot. Boyd owns the slot. Green is your #1. I think Higgins will be the primary backup at all three spots. If anyone falters in their production or gets hurt, he'll start. I am dubious Ross makes that leap, so I think Higgins starts by the end of the year.

All 4 will play a ton.

I think Burrowsl's accuracy makes Tate MORE valuable, rather than less. Ditto Green and Higgins. When a QB is all over the place (Dalton), guys like Tate can reel in some off target throws. But others are too far gone, lead to injury or TOs, and are missed opportunities. I read Dalton led the league in uncatchable % with a good pocket. Ouch.

If Burrow is a guy who can throw it where only his guy can catch it, Tate, Green, and AJ will make more plays. Plus, hitting guys in stride will also help speed guys (Ross) and slot guys (Boyd, Erickson). Everyone's YAC will go up with accurate throws.
Reply/Quote
No matter which 3 are named the "starters", I strongly feel that all 6 who make the final cuts will get plenty of action in most every game. With the tagging of Green and addition of Higgins, the WR corps went from adequate to deep, just like that. I think it's more important to pay attention to who they have to cut, as they'll likely be releasing at least one receiver who will get picked up and played by another team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 05:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think the hope is that Ross breaks out and claims that other outside spot. Boyd owns the slot. Green is your #1. I think Higgins will be the primary backup at all three spots. If anyone falters in their production or gets hurt, he'll start. I am dubious Ross makes that leap, so I think Higgins starts by the end of the year.

All 4 will play a ton.

I think Burrowsl's accuracy makes Tate MORE valuable, rather than less. Ditto Green and Higgins. When a QB is all over the place (Dalton), guys like Tate can reel in some off target throws. But others are too far gone, lead to injury or TOs, and are missed opportunities. I read Dalton led the league in uncatchable % with a good pocket. Ouch.

If Burrow is a guy who can throw it where only his guy can catch it, Tate, Green, and AJ will make more plays. Plus, hitting guys in stride will also help speed guys (Ross) and slot guys (Boyd, Erickson). Everyone's YAC will go up with accurate throws.

I do think Burrows back shoulder ‘throw a guy open’ skills could make Tate more valuable, but I also think it diminishes him because now his lack of speed is more of a factor as his circus catches aren’t needed as often.

They have to use him right, I still think he could be a 3rd down red zone weapon.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see Tate put on a few pounds and become our move TE
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 05:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Question, does Tate’s value decrease with the addition of Burrow? My reasoning being a lot of Tate’s appeal last year was circus catches on incredibly high passes. That might not be as necessary with Burrow back there.

I like Tate, but I personally think he is buried on the depth chart on a team with two 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders on the roster...

Perhaps more of an asset once Ross is out of the picture and a good depth guy. I’m just not all in on Tate as other fans are I guess.

Tate has a really good catch radius that can be taken advantage of with the right thrower back there. True, his particular brand of WR can mask bad throws. That said it can also be used intentionally. I imagine with his body control we could use him a lot on the perimeter and back of the end zone.
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins is WR #3. The Bengals did not sign Ross's option year. Mike brown does not reward underachievers and will not allow him to shine so he can get a huge contract somewhere else. He will be a back up (with limited play) in case someone gets hurt. You'll see.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 04:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: This is sadly very likely.

Yep and if it does happen, hopefully people on here will be ready to let go of AJ. That is my question to those who were 100% on the keep AJ and try to sign him wagon. If he misses a significant amount of time this year, are you finally ready to move on? I’m game for a 2 year extension at the end of the year if he plays 90% of the games and looks good. I still wouldn’t break the bank though.
Reply/Quote
Its gonna be a battle between Higgins and Auden Tate.. I give the job to Tate.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote