Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ?
(05-16-2020, 09:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ask Chase Coffman how easy it is to start learning how to block at the NFL level...
And you ask Drew Sample how easy it is to start learning how to catch at the NFL level...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And you ask Drew Sample how easy it is to start learning how to catch at the NFL level...

Ask both those guys how easy it is to stay healthy at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 05:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: There's plenty of tight ends in today's age that are, by older standards, atrocious blockers. There quite a few that are rarely if ever asked to really take on that role.

Aaron Hernandez never blocked.  Gronk would block when needed, but it certainly wasn't something that was his strong suit.  Jimmy Graham wasn't paid to block, and was rarely asked to.  Zach Ertz isn't a blocking much either.

If you look at the college game very few guys come into the league with any real blocking ability.  With the spread being run so much they're simply not asked to.  The "dual-threat" tight end is prospect is pretty rare now, as athletes are valued above all else.

The two Ravens right ends, Andrews and Hurst, were bascially huge receivers when they cam into the league. Neither could block. The guy the Rams drafted when Zach Taylor was there relatively high is Gerald Everett, another guy with little blocking ability.

Most of these guys are being used as matchup nightmares.  Too big and strong for DB's and too fast for LB's.  That's the role of the modern tight end.  If they can block a bit then great, but I think most are just taught enough to basically just get by.  They're not lining up in a 3pt stance 75% of the time and being asked to hold the edge.

And really, if you want a blocking tight end then you can use different guys at the position and rotate them.

I'm not saying I think moving Tate to TE is necessarily a great idea, but I  don't a lack of blocking ability would be what would prevent it.  Chase Coffman was drafted 11 years ago, and Mike and Marvin were even dated then in their approach to the position.  Blocking at the position is something not near as valued or needed as it used to be.

Huh? Gronk was a great blocker. So is George Kittle, who is arguably the best TE in the league right now.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And you ask Drew Sample how easy it is to start learning how to catch at the NFL level...

Hell of a lot easier than learning to block. Uzomah never really caught passes in college (29 rec in 4 years) and he’s become pretty decent at it in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 05:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: There's plenty of tight ends in today's age that are, by older standards, atrocious blockers. There quite a few that are rarely if ever asked to really take on that role.

Aaron Hernandez never blocked.  Gronk would block when needed, but it certainly wasn't something that was his strong suit.  Jimmy Graham wasn't paid to block, and was rarely asked to.  Zach Ertz isn't a blocking much either.

If you look at the college game very few guys come into the league with any real blocking ability.  With the spread being run so much they're simply not asked to.  The "dual-threat" tight end is prospect is pretty rare now, as athletes are valued above all else.

The two Ravens right ends, Andrews and Hurst, were bascially huge receivers when they cam into the league. Neither could block.  The guy the Rams drafted when Zach Taylor was there relatively high is Gerald Everett, another guy with little blocking ability.

Most of these guys are being used as matchup nightmares.  Too big and strong for DB's and too fast for LB's.  That's the role of the modern tight end.  If they can block a bit then great, but I think most are just taught enough to basically just get by.  They're not lining up in a 3pt stance 75% of the time and being asked to hold the edge.

And really, if you want a blocking tight end then you can use different guys at the position and rotate them.

I'm not saying I think moving Tate to TE is necessarily a great idea, but I  don't a lack of blocking ability would be what would prevent it.  Chase Coffman was drafted 11 years ago, and Mike and Marvin were even dated then in their approach to the position.  Blocking at the position is something not near as valued or needed as it used to be.

Gronk was one of the best blocking TEs in the game.  You don't have any credibility here.  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 07:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell of a lot easier than learning to block. Uzomah never really caught passes in college (29 rec in 4 years) and he’s become pretty decent at it in the NFL.

Must be why the top TEs in the league are known for their blocking. Could have been why I said he becomes the move TE instead on the inline.

CJ Uzomah.....for real? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think Ross gets every chance they can give him to earn the spot. Maybe if Higgins is just lights out in camp, he can make the decision a hard one.

One of the best things for Higgins is that he's not immediately needed and can come along slowly if need be.
Reply/Quote

He's got 5 catches. That's pretty close to the # of passes thrown to him. There is nothing wrong with Sample's hands.
Reply/Quote
I really hadn't considered Drew Sample as a third receiver candidate but it is the offseason I guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 08:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Must be why the top TEs in the league are known for their blocking. Could have been why I said he becomes the move TE instead on the inline.

CJ Uzomah.....for real? 

So you wouldn’t be happy with a 43 rec, 439 yds, 3 TD season out of Sample in a year or two? He probably should have been picked closer to where Uzomah was anyway. So I don’t really see why my comparison was so surprising to you.

Reply/Quote
I will bet the house it won't be John Ross!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 08:26 AM)corpjet Wrote: I will bet the house it won't be John Ross!

I'm going to say that's up to one person, John Ross. All the talking heads pretty much agree it takes 3 years for most WR's to develop in the NFL, so Tee Higgins may not be the starter just yet. Maybe he will pull an AJ Green and start day one. Ross has the ability and the tenure and the talent, if he can get his head out of his butt and concentrate on catching the ball AND stay healthy, he may be the starting #3. My guess, as much as it pains me to say, is he won't and he is going to pretty much ride the pine his last year here and will go down as a bust.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 12:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Drafting of Tee Higgins makes the WR room alot more
Intresting to say the least
If Higgins can translate to the pro game does he claim that
Spot?
If John Ross can stay healthy does he secure that
Role all year?
Auden Tate isn't brought up too much but
He did really come into his own last year .
He showed the doubters he can play at this
Level despite inaccurate QBs throwing jim
The ball
The 3rd WR spot has been lacking some
Juice since Sanu left
Erickson never flashed much big play ability

This is tough because it can come down to what the Bengals envision for next year.
For example, if the Bengals don't plan to keep Ross, the 3rd WR spot could go to Higgins or Tate even if Ross outproduces them both.

Going purely off production though, we saw Ross put up 506/3 in just 8 games last year. If he's healthy, he should outproduce Tate for sure.
Ross has more explosion than Tate and even Higgins. Higgins and Tate have size over Ross.

I'd like it to be Ross because he brings a different element to the group that no other WR does, but my gut tells me Higgins because he was drafted 33rd overall and the Bengals will want to groom him to take over for AJ in a year (or more if AJ is extended).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 10:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This is tough because it can come down to what the Bengals envision for next year.
For example, if the Bengals don't plan to keep Ross, the 3rd WR spot could go to Higgins or Tate even if Ross outproduces them both.

Going purely off production though, we saw Ross put up 506/3 in just 8 games last year. If he's healthy, he should outproduce Tate for sure.
Ross has more explosion than Tate and even Higgins. Higgins and Tate have size over Ross.

I'd like it to be Ross because he brings a different element to the group that no other WR does, but my gut tells me Higgins because he was drafted 33rd overall and the Bengals will want to groom him to take over for AJ in a year (or more if AJ is extended).

Ross still is producing  a TD every 5 times he touches the ball, and as much as many folks on here can't stand the guy (Maybe Burrow reduces the butt hurt of not taking Mahommes?) he changes the way opposing defenses defend the Bengals more than any WR on the team.  If Green is healthy, he and Boyd (and Tate, and the TEs) will love having Ross draw the safeties back.  

I am beyond excited to see what Burrow can do with this stable of weapons.  The very few times the Bengals had a healthy Eifert and Green, their offense was really strong.  A healthy Boyd, Ross, and Green to line up with Sample or Uzo and Mixon or Gio also as potential receiving threats?   The days of limping along to try and score 20 points will be gone.  
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 04:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hopefully Tee Higgins.

No, hopefully Tyler Boyd.

Think of it this way: Boyd is our WR with the highest floor. If Boyd gets pushed that far down the depth chart then we're in great shape.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 11:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ross still is producing  a TD every 5 times he touches the ball, and as much as many folks on here can't stand the guy (Maybe Burrow reduces the butt hurt of not taking Mahommes?) he changes the way opposing defenses defend the Bengals more than any WR on the team.  If Green is healthy, he and Boyd (and Tate, and the TEs) will love having Ross draw the safeties back.  

I am beyond excited to see what Burrow can do with this stable of weapons.  The very few times the Bengals had a healthy Eifert and Green, their offense was really strong.  A healthy Boyd, Ross, and Green to line up with Sample or Uzo and Mixon or Gio also as potential receiving threats?   The days of limping along to try and score 20 points will be gone.  

I believe this is Ross's make or break season (duh). Can JB revive JR's career ? That's the question ? And a lot of who ends up at WR3 depends on that.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 11:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this is Ross's make or break season (duh). Can JB revive JR's career ? That's the question ? And a lot of who ends up at WR3 depends on that.

There are very few scenarios where Ross is a Bengals in 2021.  

If he produces, they will not likely be able to afford him, should they even want to retain him.  If he is in a somewhat middling ground, he will probably believe that he could get more money elsewhere...and he would be right.  You can't pay Ross even Tyler Boyd money if you have Green extended and Boyd getting $10 million per year. If he doesn't produce at all, the Bengals might be able to sign him to a prove-it deal, but I would still imagine he would try his luck somewhere else.  
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There are very few scenarios where Ross is a Bengals in 2021.  

If he produces, they will not likely be able to afford him, should they even want to retain him.  If he is in a somewhat middling ground, he will probably believe that he could get more money elsewhere...and he would be right.  You can't pay Ross even Tyler Boyd money if you have Green extended and Boyd getting $10 million per year. If he doesn't produce at all, the Bengals might be able to sign him to a prove-it deal, but I would still imagine he would try his luck somewhere else.  

Oh I agree, the chances of Ross being a Bengal next season are slim at best. The only way I see him staying on the team is 1. AJ goes out injured again and that pretty much wraps up his career as a Bengal. 2. Ross and Burrow just light up the scoreboard.

This isn't about hate, Ross can't help he was over drafted. I just have doubts he's ever going to be a reliable  #1 or #2 or #3 ? Reliable staying healthy and on the field, reliable running the correct routes, showing up in crunch time, catching the damn ball.

I'd love, LOVE it if Ross played in 15 and 1/2 games, went for 1,150 receiving with 10 TD's, 185 rushing with a TD this season ! I'm just skeptical that's gonna happen
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2020, 12:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I agree, the chances of Ross being a Bengal next season are slim at best. The only way I see him staying on the team is 1. AJ goes out injured again and that pretty much wraps up his career as a Bengal. 2. Ross and Burrow just light up the scoreboard.

This isn't about hate, Ross can't help he was over drafted. I just have doubts he's ever going to be a reliable  #1 or #2 or #3 ? Reliable staying healthy and on the field, reliable running the correct routes, showing up in crunch time, catching the damn ball.

I'd love, LOVE it if Ross played in 15 and 1/2 games, went for 1,150 receiving with 10 TD's, 185 rushing with a TD this season ! I'm just skeptical that's gonna happen

Yeah, there is always that thing about guys that stumble out of the gate, but seem to find their footing in their contract year.  The team is better with him on the field.  Let's hope he stays out there.  
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember when people here were ready to anoint Willis as the next AJ Green last year.

Whatever

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote