Poll: Best Rookie (before Chase) in team history?
Corey Dillon
Cris Collinsworth
Icky Woods
AJ Green
Andy Dalton
Eddie Brown
Isaac Curtis
Carlos Dunlap
I like to be different (explain)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who had the best rookie season in team history?
Paul Robinson led the NFL in rushing as a rookie and pretty sure he finished second to Joe Namath in the MVP voting that season. He wins, hands down.
Reply/Quote
Had to go with Ickey with all he accomplished with James Brooks sharing the load.

I mean he brought the Bengals hard nosed running, plenty of swag, a trip to the SB, the Shuffle, and a great Geico commercial.

But will say that what Dalton and AJ Green did was pretty incredible too. Many of folk on here who claim to be really smart football fans had to wear that ugly Richard Simmons rainbow sig for months as proof that Andy and AJ accomplished the impossible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
You all are missing a really big one

Yards from scrimmage per game

Boobie Clark '73........ 90.4
Corey Dillon '97......... 86.8
Paul Robinson '68...... 82.2
Ickey Woods '88....... 79.0

Boobie played all 14 games in 73.  Projected over 17 games he would have 1200 rushing yards and 55 receptions. That 73 teams was not only really good, but it is also the earliest I can remember being a Bengal fan.  I was 10 years old in 5th grade.  They finished 10-4 with the #5 offense and #8 defense.  They got blasted in their playoff game by the one of the greatest teams of all time.  Those Dolphins went to three straight Super Bowls.  From 72-73 they went 32-2 and won two straight.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. Cris Collinsworth: 67 catches - 1009 yards - 8 TDs

Before 1981 only 5 rookies in NFL history had 1000 receiving yards
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 6. Eddie Brown: 53 catches - 942 yards - 8 TDs

Averaged an impressive 17.8 yards/catch and won Rookie of the Year.

Beat some guy named Jerry Rice.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 8 Carlos Dunlap: 9.5 sacks and 16 QB hits

Did this in only 12 games as a part time player

Big 'Los had a concussion in preseason and was inactive for 4 of the first 5 games.  Through the first 8 games he had 4 tckls, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 0 PDs.

Over the second half of the season he looked as dominant from the DE position as Chase looks at WR. 9.5 sacks, 16 QB hits, 3 PD.

I was sure we had drafted a perennial All-Pro DE.
Reply/Quote
52 years later:
Quote:most passing yards with a minimum of 14 passing attempts per team game per attempt by a rookie quarterback in NFL HISTORY
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-yards-per-attempt-by-a-rookie-quarterback-in-nfl-history
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 10:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Big 'Los had a concussion in preseason and was inactive for 4 of the first 5 games.  Through the first 8 games he had 4 tckls, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 0 PDs.

Over the second half of the season he looked as dominate from the DE position as Chase looks at WR. 9.5 sacks, 16 QB hits, 3 PD.

I was sure we had drafted a perennial All-Pro DE.

Dominant. DO-MIN-ANT.

Dominate is a verb.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 10:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Dominant. DO-MIN-ANT.

Dominate is a verb.

Certain you could have a field day correcting my posts

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 10:43 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Certain you could have a field day correcting my posts

90% of the time, I just let people go with their typos and the like.

But saying, "dominate," instead of, "dominant," is one of the few language errors that REALLY bothers me lol and Fred's been writing like that since the mothership.

AND, he's a lawyer FFS.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 10:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Dominant. DO-MIN-ANT.

Dominate is a verb.

Thanks.

Corrected.

I actually know the difference but I am real sloppy here.  Sometimes I will mistype something as basic as "there" for "their". 

And I still type Zach instead of Zac about 50% of the time
Reply/Quote
Corey Dillon set the single game rookie rush record... This shouldn't even be close...
Reply/Quote
Asking people to write the sentence "They're walking their dog over there" would confuse half to 2/3 of the country.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 12:46 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Asking people to write the sentence "They're walking their dog over there" would confuse half to 2/3 of the country.

I'm completely aware of the difference, but I still find myself making mistakes on their/there/they're sometimes, on the occasion that I proofread. It's the internet though, not a school essay, so I often don't proofread. If you want to think I'm stupid for the occasional grammatical error, oh well. That's how I look at it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have to go Icky if only because I was selling cable tv door to door the year he tore up his knee..Knocked on his door and he bought the entire lineup, HBO, Showtime, etc..That was way before streaming services..
I didn't even realize who he was until he signed his name on the contract.. I looked down and went..Oh shit! You're Icky Woods! Nice guy with HUGE hands..When he shook my hand I think I shook his hand, he shook my elbow.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 02:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm completely aware of the difference, but I still find myself making mistakes on their/there/they're sometimes, on the occasion that I proofread. It's the internet though, not a school essay, so I often don't proofread. If you want to think I'm stupid for the occasional grammatical error, oh well. That's how I look at it.

I'm dlis . . . disxels . . . dis lake sick . . . I have a learning disability that's really hard to spell, especially for someone that mixes up letters and words. So I've learned to double and triple check just about anything official or important but still, brainfarts happen. I was talking trash on a Steeler board over a decade ago . . . I meant to type "allowed" and typed "aloud" and every point I made was washed away by my mis-steak.

The English language has all types of screwed up uses of words. Imagine someone learning English over hearing this sentence.
"Mr Wright, I have the right to turn right, right when I get there, right? I'd better write this down or they'll be reading me my last rites."

They'd be lost.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Bill Bergey

Was an AFL All-Star in his first year, that was the AFL version of the Pro Bowl, before the merger.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 10:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 52 years later:
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-yards-per-attempt-by-a-rookie-quarterback-in-nfl-history

Yeah, for me, it's Greg Cook. Who knows how things would've unfolded had he not gotten injured. Trumpy says their hands would be full of rings, and Bill Walsh said he was the best QB he'd ever seen. That's enough for me.....and I loved Ickey Woods.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Between Dunlap and Ickey. I went Dunlap. 9.5 sacks for a rookie is great, especially part time. Ickey is also great with 15 scores.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 12:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks.

Corrected.

I actually know the difference but I am real sloppy here.  Sometimes I will mistype something as basic as "there" for "their". 

And I still type Zach instead of Zac about 50% of the time

lol THAT'S the type of error I let slide LOL

Yeah, no biggie; again, I can be a grammar Nazi all day if I chose to, but with the modern day of autocorrects and speed, I can understand if things get screwed up (I do it myself).

But the dominant thing... just one of the very few that REALLY irks me LOL

Carry on! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote