Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who have you been most wrong on?
Just a quick thread to have a bit of fun.  We all love to talk about how we knew a certain player was going to be a stud, but we don't talk as much about who we really whiffed on.  So let's have a go.  1 offensive player, and 1 defensive player each that you were just wrong about.

Offense:
Montee Ball, RB Wisconsin
[Image: edd7b696621a690878873d32555061d5.jpg]

College stats: 4 years, 5,140 rushing yards, 5.6 yards per carry, 77 touchdowns and more broken tackles than you could imagine.
Pro stats: 2 years, 731 rushing yards, 4.2 yards per carry, 5 touchdowns.
Montee was one of my favorite college football players ever.  I made a point to watch every game his junior and senior seasons.  I loved the way he ran.  He was a monster.  I was certain he was going to dominate in the nfl with his amazing vision, power, and speed.  Sadly his pro career never took off and personal issues derailed his career. 

Defense:
Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
[Image: 182275194.0.jpg]

College stats: 4 years 32.5 sacks, 52.5 TFL, 2 Int, 2 FF
Pro stats: 7 years,26 sacks, 33 TFL, 1 Int, 10 FF
I was banging the table like mad for Murphy in the 2014 draft. Unfortunately he went off the board 8 picks before the Bengals in round 2.  I was positive he was going to be stud in the NFL and he has had a respectable career (PFF career grade of 66), he did not reach the stardom I thought he would. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I'm drawing a blank
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Josh Doctson - I don’t know what happened there but in hindsight we lucked into WJIII.
Reply/Quote
Some of mine:
- Josh Allen, QB
- John Ross, WR
- Trent Richardson, RB
- Justin Gilbert, CB
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I have to say one of our own. Cedric Oboogie. I thought he would be a dominant OT for us once he was healthy. Total bust.
Reply/Quote
Josh allen thought he'd be trash he looks way better than I thought

I was on the dgb (dorial green beckham) hype train and he was trash

I thought jj watt was not athletic enough on edge but would be solid. Didn't see him becoming defensive mvp dominant player.
Reply/Quote
This goes back a ways, but I really thought Andre Wadsworth (Florida State DE) might be the second coming of Bruce Smith. I was only a couple hundred sacks or so off.
Reply/Quote
Mine is easy, Mike Thomas.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Laquon Treadwell and Taco Charlton.
Reply/Quote
Is there anyone who would dare mention Chase Coffman?

There I was getting excited that we were going to have a great receiving TE and he was just Bustville USA.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wanted to trade the farm and move up for Greg Robinson. Would have missed out on Dennard, Hill, Ogbuehi, and Fisher if we traded our 1 and 2 in 2014 and 1 and 2 in 2015 to get him so that wouldn’t have been good even though most of our picks didn’t have very good careers.

Charles Harris DE. Think he is in his 3rd or 4th team already. Not sure what his problem is
Reply/Quote
Davante Adams the dude still refuses to be physical and hand fight and yet he wins.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Brian Bosworth, Tony Mandrich. I thought that both of those guys would be NFL superstars. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
John Ross tie with Akili Smith
Rey Maualuga, I know 2nd round, but damn was he a let down...
Reply/Quote
I'll try to avoid obvious ones. Like, is there anybody that didn't think Malik Hooker would be Ed Reed 2.0?

Joe McKnight is a big one for me. I was convinced that he would be the next great NFL RB coming out of USC. DK Metcalf is an honorable mention, here. I thought he'd suck due to his bad change of direction tests. I liked Ross coming out, too.

On D, Whitney Mercilus was a guy I thought would be an annual double digit sack guy. He hasn't been bad, but nowhere near what I thought he would be. I hated Clay Matthews coming out of college and was all about Brian Cushing(TBF I also hated Maualuga coming out). There's a couple of OSU S's I should throw in for different reasons. I was convinced Mike Doss would be a stud and Kirk Coleman wouldn't last 3 years in the league. Wrong on both.
Reply/Quote
Man, I am blanking on the name, but there was a DE out of Penn State that the Browns drafted really high. Like #2. I don't want to say he totally busted, but I thought he was gonna be Bruce Smith. Courtney Brown. MVP of their Bowl Game. Big Ten defensive player of the year. Played 6-8 years or so.

On offense? I'd go Garrison Hearst. RB out of Georgia. Injuries were a factor for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 05:56 PM)Burma Wrote: Just a quick thread to have a bit of fun.  We all love to talk about how we knew a certain player was going to be a stud, but we don't talk as much about who we really whiffed on.  So let's have a go.  1 offensive player, and 1 defensive player each that you were just wrong about.

Offense:
Montee Ball, RB Wisconsin
[Image: edd7b696621a690878873d32555061d5.jpg]

College stats: 4 years, 5,140 rushing yards, 5.6 yards per carry, 77 touchdowns and more broken tackles than you could imagine.
Pro stats: 2 years, 731 rushing yards, 4.2 yards per carry, 5 touchdowns.
Montee was one of my favorite college football players ever.  I made a point to watch every game his junior and senior seasons.  I loved the way he ran.  He was a monster.  I was certain he was going to dominate in the nfl with his amazing vision, power, and speed.  Sadly his pro career never took off and personal issues derailed his career. 

Defense:
Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
[Image: 182275194.0.jpg]

College stats: 4 years 32.5 sacks, 52.5 TFL, 2 Int, 2 FF
Pro stats: 7 years,26 sacks, 33 TFL, 1 Int, 10 FF
I was banging the table like mad for Murphy in the 2014 draft. Unfortunately he went off the board 8 picks before the Bengals in round 2.  I was positive he was going to be stud in the NFL and he has had a respectable career (PFF career grade of 66), he did not reach the stardom I thought he would. 

Omg! I can't believe this was 9 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Easy. Josh Rosen. I thought he was going to be the best qb in that class.
Reply/Quote
Nick Fairley

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 10:58 PM)Storer50 Wrote: Nick Fairley

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Forgot about him. Was that the same year as the USC DT everybody loved? And we really needed a DT and two went top 10
Reply/Quote