Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is Switching Teams?
(01-04-2017, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's probably blasphemy to older fans on here, but I loved watching Montana and Marcus Allen with the Chiefs. Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith too. Once Montana retired I still kept tabs on the Chiefs for a couple years, but the Bengals took over as my primary team. Fwiw, I loved watching Barry too. I guess everyone did.

The problem with being a Bengals fan in that era is that they were hard to catch on national TV, and even locally most home games were blacked out. I guess that's why I tried to watch some Cowboys games, because they were on every week.

I was in the same boat.

I liked watching the Cowboys, 49ers, and Packers in the 90's too. Some good games against each other.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's probably blasphemy to older fans on here, but I loved watching Montana and Marcus Allen with the Chiefs. Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith too. Once Montana retired I still kept tabs on the Chiefs for a couple years, but the Bengals took over as my primary team. Fwiw, I loved watching Barry too. I guess everyone did.

The problem with being a Bengals fan in that era is that they were hard to catch on national TV, and even locally most home games were blacked out. I guess that's why I tried to watch some Cowboys games, because they were on every week.

Aw hell no man.....the fun teams to watch in the early 90s were the stifling Saints defense, and the "2 Legit to Quit" Falcons. LOL 

Honorable mention to watching Buddy Ryan smacking o-coordinators on the Oilers' sidelines.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Its near impossible to switch teams imo unless you move to a city with a team you might like, or something like that. I'll root for & against other teams in the playoffs for sure, hoping to see a Cowboys & Raiders Superbowl.

That said as much as I hate Mike Brown as an owner and everything he has done & hasnt done, it probably wouldnt be too hard for me to switch teams if I ever move someday to another NFL city or market. He is the bane of my fandom, and drove me away in the 90s. Why I came back though, I just had no where else to go. Sad
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 05:16 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I'm pretty sure this was sarcasm but you can never tell on message boards.

Unfortunately I'm a sucker for terrible sports teams so Bengals it is.

My backup team is whoever is playing the Steelers.

Bingo!  I've never wanted the dolphins to win more (than this week) since I was 11 years old and one of my dads friends played for the undefeated 72 team. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

With some due respect to the older fans, I don't really owe other fans anything.  Considering my Bengals fandom started around 1995, I'm one of the small number of Bengals fans to have never experienced a Bengals playoff win live.  I've still stayed a fan even though I don't live in Ohio anymore and live very close to another city with a Super bowl winning franchise.  Not to mention, when the Bengals were getting blacked out, I would still listen to their games on the radio.  Like I said before, if the Bengals ever do win the Super, I will seriously consider quitting watching football, as the time investment and other energies directed probably will not be worth it after that payoff!  Shoot, all I'm asking for right now is a freaking playoff win.  I'll worry about Super later.  Being attached to the longest playoff win drought in the NFL is draining.  

I do believe the franchise is very close to getting there!
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:26 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Its near impossible to switch teams imo unless you move to a city with a team you might like, or something like that. I'll root for & against other teams in the playoffs for sure, hoping to see a Cowboys & Raiders Superbowl.

That said as much as I hate Mike Brown as an owner and everything he has done & hasnt done, it probably wouldnt be too hard for me to switch teams if I ever move someday to another NFL city or market. He is the bane of my fandom, and drove me away in the 90s. Why I came back though, I just had no where else to go. Sad

It's more difficult than you think.  I live near another city which is home to a multiple super bowl winner, but it wasn't even a consideration to switch from the Bengals to this team (even though when I lived in Ohio, I would have rooted for this team as an underdog at times).  

Sometimes I ask myself, if Mike Brown owned a team that I was not a fan of, would I actually wish that he had any success, or would I think him to be the most undeserving owner of that success and therefore root against him?  The answer is the latter.  However, selfishly I have to root for Mike Brown's success because I'd rather not wait until Mike Brown is not the owner until the Bengals have success.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:20 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Aw hell no man.....the fun teams to watch in the early 90s were the stifling Saints defense, and the "2 Legit to Quit" Falcons.  

Honorable mention to watching Buddy Ryan smacking o-coordinators on the Oilers' sidelines.
Easy, Hammer !

I loved Buddy Ryan.
To see him grab a 300lb lineman's facemask, pull him down to his face level, scream at them, and then smack them upside the head was priceless.
Reply/Quote
The other teams I kinda like are the Chiefs, Vikings and the Cardinals.  But to "switch" teams?  Nah.....I just can't do that. Not after investing everything that I have so far into this godforsaken franchise.  If the Bengals ever switch helmets and colors, then ya I could see myself going someplace else.  but those helmets are so freaking cool. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I'm not expecting anything more from the Bengals. Just wake me up when Marv is no longer HC of this team.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Well when I was a kid at ten years old it was easy for me to be a Dallas fan, I grew up in Cincinnati but all the kids would say how much the Bengals sucked, it was like they was a minor league team compared to everyone else so I did not even attempt to really watch them. I remember the pickens hype though.

Later on after I gave up the cowboys and football I was a die hard reds fan,and the season just ended in 2001.so I gave the Bengals a shot in the opener, I was hooked because that was my city I lived in, it represented me. Also I can turn on the radio and listen throughout the week, I could read the paper. It was a addiction starting then.

This year has been the first year, I've thought what am I doing in my life, this management and coaches are morons, we will never win. I thought about just being a sports fan period. But noooo my addiction still continues, I get on the internet and read read read. It's like how women watch soaps for drama, there's drama for this team that keeps you entertained. Even in this fan base, we argue with each other over everything, especially the qb situation and Marvin Lewis.

I even wonder if this whole thing is fixed like the wwe
Reply/Quote
Oh I got carried away, no I won't be a fan of that team, but I plan on watching how he does, because I think he's better pocket passer then Dalton and might have the it factor. I've argued my case idk how many times, and the Dalton fans get extremely upset if you think mccaron could be better. They call you everything in the book, say your not a fan and don't know nothing about football. So I'll be seeing if I was right or wrong.
Reply/Quote

I was a little kid in the Bay Area when the whole Montana to KC deal went down. That caused a lot of turmoil in the 49ers fan base and some migrated to KC because of Montana.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If I weren't a Bengals fan, I'd be a Giants fan.

Still, since 1976, I have never wavered in changing teams. Nobody will ever call us bandwagon jumpers.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 08:41 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: I'm the idiot who has never been to Cincinnati, started following the Bengals in the 90's because they were the closest to a Tiger in Madden, I follow the Tigers in Rugby League. Now I am as passionate about the Bengals as I am the Tigers, if anyone should be able to switch teams it's me, my attachment is through a video game and the association of a Tiger as a mascot, but I could not ever change to another team. I follow this team from the other side of the world as if it is my local team, all because of a stupid Tiger emblem lol.

Hear you loud & clear. I've been a Bengals fan since I was a kid yet have never set foot in Cincinnati. I got suckered in by those cool looking helmets ThumbsUp  To this day I never get tired of the perplexed looks I get when I state proudly that I'm a die hard Bengals fan.

I survived the lost decade, even though it would have been very easy for me to bail out. There's no way I'll ever jump ship.
Reply/Quote
I would love if we got some good picks for McCarron. I would be upset with the Bengals if we still have Lewis after 2017 unless something crazy like us going to the SB happens, but I would still love my Bengals. I have been through too much to switch teams and it would almost feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend because we are having a rough patch.
Reply/Quote
Id never switch teams. I was seriously considering when Zimmer left. The Bengals are a huge part of my life. They had one bad season out of 6. im 32 years old. Ive seen way worse.

Growing up was hard being a Bengals fan and a Michigan fan.

Im a loyalist though. I buy their shit, go to their games no matter what. Thats what fans do. Fans dont jump ship. Fans stay fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was in the same boat.

I liked watching the Cowboys, 49ers, and Packers in the 90's too. Some good games against each other.

The Cowboys pretty much owned everybody for awhile. They knocked the Packers out 3 straight years in Favre's early days. The 49ers got Deion with the sole intent of trying to stop the Cowboys. That's when they won Steve Young's only SB. Then the Cowboys turn right around and sign Deion themselves and won another one. It was an entertaining era for sure.

(01-04-2017, 02:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Aw hell no man.....the fun teams to watch in the early 90s were the stifling Saints defense, and the "2 Legit to Quit" Falcons. LOL 

By the time I started paying attention, Buddy was on his way out with the Cardinals. I don't remember much about those Falcons, but I did get to see that Football Life episode that featured them. They definitely seemed like they would've been a fun team to watch.

(01-04-2017, 02:40 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: With some due respect to the older fans, I don't really owe other fans anything.  Considering my Bengals fandom started around 1995, I'm one of the small number of Bengals fans to have never experienced a Bengals playoff win live.  I've still stayed a fan even though I don't live in Ohio anymore and live very close to another city with a Super bowl winning franchise.  Not to mention, when the Bengals were getting blacked out, I would still listen to their games on the radio.  Like I said before, if the Bengals ever do win the Super, I will seriously consider quitting watching football, as the time investment and other energies directed probably will not be worth it after that payoff!  Shoot, all I'm asking for right now is a freaking playoff win.  I'll worry about Super later.  Being attached to the longest playoff win drought in the NFL is draining.  

I do believe the franchise is very close to getting there!

Agreed. I'm proud of the fact that I became a fan during the dark ages. We've been through all the lows and never got to see the glory years. Yet we're as die hard as anyone. The playoff thing is getting really damn old though.

(01-04-2017, 05:42 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was a little kid in the Bay Area when the whole Montana to KC deal went down. That caused a lot of turmoil in the 49ers fan base and some migrated to KC because of Montana.

Young didn't win over that fan base til he finally got a ring. I mean, they essentially replaced the Tom Brady of that era with his backup. The crazy thing is, there was almost a Montana vs Young SB in '93, but both teams lost in the conference championship, and we got stuck with Cowboys vs Bills 2.0. Too bad because a Montana vs 49ers showdown would've been epic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 04:19 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: If AJ McCarron is traded to the Cleveland Browns who will be switching teams?    I will also throw in if WE keep Marvin will you be switching Teams?  Has this year prompted anyone to have a Back Up Team?  If so who is your backup team?

Nobody is switching teams, in fact by the first week of next season a good percentage of Bengal fans will feel we made enough offseason changes(FA, drafting, etc) to make this team a Super Bowl contender.....

that is till this time next year Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 05:42 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Oh I got carried away, no I won't be a fan of that team, but I plan on watching how he does, because I think he's better pocket passer then Dalton and might have the it factor. I've argued my case idk how many times, and the Dalton fans get extremely upset if you think mccaron could be better. They call you everything in the book, say your not a fan and don't know nothing about football. So I'll be seeing if I was right or wrong.

I know I've never disrespected you like that, even though I wholeheartedly disagree.

I've also been looking forward to Mac getting traded, but for the opposite reason. I think he's going to get exposed ala Osweiler.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I still have football cards of the Bengals that were given away by one of the gas station chains in CIncy back in the 60s. I think it was TC, I'm not sure.

I'm way too ideologically locked in. I don't really hate people from Pittsburgh, but I do get tense when I see Steeler fan gear. I have to convince myself that team loyalty would not be an effective defense in court.

I give a damn about the postseason if the Bengals don't play in it. As long as somebody beats the Steelers, I'm happy.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote