Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who is Willing to ...
(02-02-2020, 09:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is my biggest fear...the way this team drafts and operates. They take Burrow, and that sells tickets, no need to do anything else, besides draft Burrow. The hype train is insane, especially for a guy with only 1 year of great production, prior to that he was average at best.

I just see this as a missed opportunity to do something different and load up the roster, cause we aren't going to be active in FA, you have to know that. So if you only will build a team through the draft, get as many picks as you can to hopefully miss on fewer.

So, if you're going to rely on the draft to build and improve your team, it's all the more reason to take Burrow. If they feel he has the potential to be elite, I don't see how they pass on him if they're going to continue to be reliant on the draft and not aggressive in free agency. Taking Burrow would seem to be their best shot at landing at landing a (potentially) top tier QB.

I can only imagine what it's going to be like if we pass on Burrow and he goes on to be great somewhere else, while we're still trying to ascend back to mediocrity with all our draft picks we got for passing on him.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 09:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Why is walking away the only option?  Nervous

For those that laugh at ANY option but Burrow, putting their money where their mouth is.

If they are THAT sure, what have they got to lose?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 10:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: For those that laugh at ANY option but Burrow, putting their money where their mouth is.

If they are THAT sure, what have they got to lose?

So. you're wanting people to give up their Bengals fan card if they're wrong about a draft pick?  Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 10:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So. you're wanting people to give up their Bengals fan card if they're wrong about a draft pick?  Facepalm

I'm not WANTING ANYTHING BA.

I'm seeing if anyone here is so CERTAIN MB takes Burrow that they are willing to put their fan card on the line.

It's a challenge of their ego/arrogance.

If they are THAT certain, then they know they are safe, regardless of what they wager ... CAPICHE?
Reply/Quote
I remember my first beer.
Reply/Quote
If we get offered 3 first rounders or anything huge I'd take it and draft Tua, but the way Joe Burrow has faith in his receivers and throws them open and leads them is something Andy never did. I think Joe Burrow and Aj would light it up. It's a tough decision.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 09:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is my biggest fear...the way this team drafts and operates. They take Burrow, and that sells tickets, no need to do anything else, besides draft Burrow. The hype train is insane, especially for a guy with only 1 year of great production, prior to that he was average at best.

I just see this as a missed opportunity to do something different and load up the roster, cause we aren't going to be active in FA, you have to know that. So if you only will build a team through the draft, get as many picks as you can to hopefully miss on fewer.

That is it 100%

I've said in other threads, if before the draft starts, the Bengals have signed a top tier LB who can cover and brought in another O-lineman or two that are not dumpster dives, then draft Burrow. Roll the dice, but the Mike Brown method is, build through the draft only.

So, I see a chance to turn 1 pick into 4 or 5 picks, and with how this team does business, I feel like you have to take that shot to get the most picks, unless they will get active in FA.

I'm with you on the Bengal Way fears.  Burrow is such a prominent figure in the national media that he provides them with an opportunity to Bengal on in free agency and team building.  

If the team is going to have their typical patience bordering on apathy and unwillingness to be active in acquiring better players, I'd take quantity over 1 guy if the quantity being offered was 3 firsts plus.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 10:35 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I remember my first beer.

LMAO
Reply/Quote
I just don't want our 1st round pick rolling up in a wheelchair... It is possible with Tua, the dude had a Bo Jackson injury.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 11:36 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: If we get offered 3 first rounders or anything huge I'd take it and draft Tua, but the way Joe Burrow has faith in his receivers and throws them open and leads them is something Andy never did. I think Joe Burrow and Aj would light it up. It's a tough decision.

I don't believe we will trade away the pick, but if they were to the pick would be Herbert, not Tua
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 08:03 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: It would have to be a fortune of 1st round and 2nd round picks.  3 from Miami is not enough IMO.  

I have seen way too many mediocre to bad first round picks to settle for a 5 swap and two later 1sts.  You can't pass on the potential of getting a QB like Burrow who could be the next great one.  

If he turns out to be the next Luck, Manning, Brees, Rogers, those guys are priceless.  

You take him, and you build around him.  It's a LOT easier to add the pieces you need than to find the franchise QB

Right on ! I don't understand how anybody thinks otherwise ?

(02-02-2020, 08:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Completely agree, and I think it's 99.9999% for sure that Burrow will be the pick. Conjecture about anything else happening is just useless noise at this point...at least IMO.

Yep
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of this is fears bengal fans have all the time that the number 1 pick will somehow manage to be injured and not play. Not that THAT'S ever happened to us in the recent past.. In fact I can easily envision Burrow injuring himself day one of practice and it takes him 4 years to heal properly..becomes a FA then he's gone and becomes who we think he is.. Now THAT would blow.. and yet a very real possibility.. Nervous

Just doing my part to contribute to the fan base pessimism we all love and embrace.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Trade Dalton. Pick Joe but sit him behind Finley all year. Teams will offer the same deal next year for Trevor Lawrence. The Art of the Deal.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 09:28 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Both of your examples traded up once they had a complete team.

That is the correct way to go about it.

Trade back, build a team, then when you are a QB away, move up and get him like KC and Baltimore. 

Also, look at where San Fran found their guy after building in the draft...a trade.

Look at the Titans, who swapped out of the first overall with the Rams. Rams got Goff and then have taken a step back. The Titans signed a guy to fill in (Tannehill) while using all the draft capital from the Rams to build a playoff team. Now, the Titans can move up, get a QB and they are a Super Bowl contender.

Why draft a guy and then let him sit here and lose and get hammered behind a bad O-line and get...dare I say it Bengalized. Build a team, then plug in a QB.

San Fran traded for Jimmy G 3 years ago.  They were 6-10 his first year and 4-12 last year.  This was the first year he actually stayed healthy.  They went and got their QB, then they built around him.  They did not build a team up, then go get him.

The Rams actually made it to the SB before taking a step back, and the main reasons they took a step back were that they're in an ultra tough division and they've starting losing talent because they went whole hog in FA to fill holes quickly and had to resign star players like Donald and Gurley.  The Titans are also now in a similar situation where they will have to shell out huge money for both Tannehill and Derrick Henry.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 01:44 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Trade Dalton. Pick Joe but sit him behind Finley all year. Teams will offer the same deal next year for Trevor Lawrence. The Art of the Deal.

If Burrow is on this team and I have to spend a single snap, much less the whole year watching Ryan "XFL" Finley I may actually quit being a fan.
Reply/Quote
Man, the draft can't get here soon enough.

[Image: HatefulVigilantAmericanredsquirrel-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
I suffered through the 90's with the Bengals so messing up a draft pick is a minor offense. I will be a fan whether they keep or trade Burrow. Besides, what would I do with all my Bengals shirts?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 02:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow is on this team and I have to spend a single snap, much less the whole year watching Ryan "XFL" Finley I may actually quit being a fan.

JK...Obviously, given my new profile name, I'm all in on Joe. Day 1 starter.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 02:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow is on this team and I have to spend a single snap, much less the whole year watching Ryan "XFL" Finley I may actually quit being a fan.

We'll hopefully need someone to take the 4th quarter snaps in all those blowout wins.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 10:35 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I remember my first beer.

Mine too, cedar point, budweiser, not old enough to drink, could barely drink 1/5th of it without smiling the rest of the day and thinking that tasted like shit.
Reply/Quote