Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who is calling the plays?
Callahan or ZT? I have heard conflicted claims & reports.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if ZT scripts the 1st 15 plays then after
That BC calls the plays?
Just taking a hunch
Reply/Quote
Like most of the league they probably share the duty.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 02:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I wonder if ZT scripts the 1st 15 plays then after
That BC calls the plays?
Just taking a hunch

Lol. That would've fit perfectly for Sunday
Reply/Quote
Marv.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Burrow Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 03:21 PM)Takedown Wrote: Burrow  Ninja

The real answer.  Even if Zac or BC call something, Burrow can just audible out and run the play he wants.  He has command of the offense.  
Reply/Quote
Burrow hopefully starts taking more control the entire game.
Reply/Quote
As far as I know, it’s Zac, with the help of Callahan, with the option of Burrow to audible depending upon the look ; so basically all of the above answers to an extent lol.
Reply/Quote
I know most people say it is not a good idea to have the head coach call the plays.

But, honestly, how many of you would call the plays if you were a head coach?

I know I would.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know most people say it is not a good idea to have the head coach call the plays.

I know I would.

If I were HC,then my OC,of whom I trust,or I obviously probably wouldn’t have hired him,would call the plays.As HC,I would definitely be involved in it,as I would be with the rest of the coaching staff.But I would have him coordinating the offense.That’s why his title is offensive coordinator,his job is to coordinate the offense.

Of course,for whatever reason,maybe Zac feels Callahan just isn’t qualified to handle it,or that he himself is more qualified.Could be an Ego thing.Just speculating.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know I would.

(09-15-2021, 06:01 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Could be an Ego thing. Just speculating.

Hmm
Reply/Quote
I would guess ZT has final say, BC provides input.
Reply/Quote
I feel like BC does more quality control work. Does the blocking scheme fit the route scheme, does the timing of this run match the PA version… thinks like that. He’s honestly more of a consultant from what I gather… “daddy used to say that’s not a good idea!”
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know most people say it is not a good idea to have the head coach call the plays.

I know I would.

If I was qualified..

This isn't it... 

On November 30, 2015, he was promoted to the team's interim offensive coordinator, after the firing of the previous offensive coordinator, Bill Lazor. During the five games Taylor served as OC, the Dolphins went 2-3 and averaged 17 points per game

Taylor was the Bearcats’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in Tommy Tuberville’s final season, a 4-8 campaign in which UC ranked 123rd of 128 teams in scoring offense with just 19.3 points per game.

Taylor is 3-13-1 in one score games since being named head coach of the Bengals prior to the 2019 season.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 06:01 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If I were HC,then my OC,of whom I trust,or I obviously probably wouldn’t have hired him,would call the plays.As HC,I would definitely be involved in it,as I would be with the rest of the coaching staff.But I would have him coordinating the offense.That’s why his title is offensive coordinator,his job is to coordinate the offense.

Of course,for whatever reason,maybe Zac feels Callahan just isn’t qualified to handle it,or that he himself is more qualified.Could be an Ego thing.Just speculating.

The current trend in the NFL with teams hiring HC's with an offensive background is ownership wants the HC to call the plays.  Reason being, the offense doesn't fall apart if the OC takes a HC gig elsewhere.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 06:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I would guess ZT has final say, BC provides input.

This and what Wildcatnku said about Burrow having the final say and being able to audible out.

I didn't like the 4th down go for it call on our own 30 by Zac but I understood it with us being up by 2 TD's and just wanting to 
be really aggressive at that time. Too bad those calls lead to the other team making a run on you if you don't succeed which is 
exactly what happened. Our D was playing good, help them out and try to pin the other team's Offense again.

Don't put our D is compromising positions.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 01:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: The current trend in the NFL with teams hiring HC's with an offensive background is ownership wants the HC to call the plays.  Reason being, the offense doesn't fall apart if the OC takes a HC gig elsewhere.  

Yeah but what has he done at ANY level to make him believe he is qualified to do this?  He has had ZERO success in any position at any level beyond a position coach.  I'm so tired of him walking about like a pompous full of himself ass when he has accomplished NOTHING at any level, but it is what it is, everyone knows he isn't qualified to be a NFL coordinator let alone a head coach, but we are the Bengals and we just gotta hope he figures it out.
Reply/Quote
I'd probably split it down the middle for half the season and see if there was a clear difference on who was better.
If so, there's my answer. Not everyone is good at everything. Especially ZT.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 02:20 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Yeah but what has he done at ANY level to make him believe he is qualified to do this?  He has had ZERO success in any position at any level beyond a position coach.  I'm so tired of him walking about like a pompous full of himself ass when he has accomplished NOTHING at any level, but it is what it is, everyone knows he isn't qualified to be a NFL coordinator let alone a head coach, but we are the Bengals and we just gotta hope he figures it out.

In fairness, you don't get an NFL HC interview if people around the league don't speak highly of you.  And what is the guy supposed to say, "No, I'm not qualified to be a HC or even call plays as an OC.  You've got the wrong guy, Mr. Brown"?
Reply/Quote