Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Best Reds Player Ever?
(02-22-2018, 01:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, this was not based on just the one post from you.  There has been a group of Reds fans who have disrespected Votto for a few years now. 

Fair enough
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 02:37 AM)Go Cards Wrote: My team would be

C- Johnny Bench
1st- Joey Votto
2nd - Joe Morgan
SS - Barry Larkin
3rd - Pete Rose
RF - Ken Griffey Jr.
CF - Eric Davis
LF - George Foster

SP - Jose Rijo, Don Gullett, Tom Seaver, Cueto
RP's - John Franco, Dibble, Chapman,

These are the favorites that I watched. Obviously a Teddy Klu, Frank Robinson and others before my time maybe should be included. But just went with players that I watched play.

Jr in RF is odd and would have him in CF if he had played in Cincinnati earlier in his career. Want big George to be comfortable so left him in left and feel Jr is so good he could play all three OF spots.

Yeah, if Jr had played in Cincy his whole career, I'd have to say he's the best the Red ever.  Dude is one of the best players of all time, period.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If you saw all of these guys at say 20 and could draft one to build a team around, who would not take Johnny? He was a young, cocky and confident kid that could crush the ball and play the premium catcher position far better than most could think. Watch film of him hustling after foul balls and man oh man, he had a cannon of an accurate arm and the league found out in a hurry. He was a dominant stud at that position.
Reply/Quote

C- Johnny Bench
1st- Joey Votto
2nd - Joe Morgan
SS - Barry Larkin
3rd - Pete Rose
RF - Ken Griffey Jr.
CF - Eric Davis
LF - George Foster

same here.  Just add Mario Soto as fifth starter.  He had some great years but was cursed to play on a lot of bad teams.

He had a 6 year run (80-85) where he finished in the top 10 in fewest hits per nine innings and most strike outs per nine innings every year.  He actually finished in the top 5 in each of those categories 5 of those 6 years.

Soto led the league in complete games twice ('83, '84), strike outs per inning twice ('80, '82), fewest hits per inning ('80), and fewest hits + walks per inning ('82).
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 01:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: If you saw all of these guys at say 20 and could draft one to build a team around, who would not take Johnny? He was a young, cocky and confident kid that could crush the ball and play the premium catcher position far better than most could think. Watch film of him hustling after foul balls and man oh man, he had a cannon of an accurate arm and the league found out in a hurry. He was a dominant stud at that position.

Fact

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2017, 11:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: I can remember having favorite players as a kid. Bobby Tolan was my favorite as a little kid for no particular reason I can think of other than how he held the bat up high and he could flat out move. 
If Billy Hamilton could hit 300 every season he'd be up there in the conversation, but he doesn't so he won't. 
I have a feeling that if he's ever traded or leaves in free agency he'll start hitting..nothing to back that up other than seeing it happen with Paul O'neil..  I hated him once he went to NY.. 
Hopeful, wishful.  for Billy to be a 300 hitter.  Love watching him.  
Reply/Quote
I think Johnny Bench. Partly because Superstar Catchers are few and far between which made him more valuable. My favorite is Barry Larkin. I was a kid in the 90s and spent most of younger days playing shortstop.
Reply/Quote

C- Johnny Bench
1st- Joey Votto
2nd - Joe Morgan
SS - Barry Larkin
3rd - Pete Rose
RF - Ken Griffey Jr.
CF - Eric Davis
LF - George Foster

These are the favorites that I watched. Obviously a Teddy Klu, Frank Robinson and others before my time maybe should be included. But just went with players that I watched play.

Jr in RF is odd and would have him in CF if he had played in Cincinnati earlier in his career. Want big George to be comfortable so left him in left and feel Jr is so good he could play all three OF spots.

Im curious what the batting order would be.  
Reply/Quote