Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the better matchup for the Bengals? 49ers or Eagles?
Both teams have offenses unlike anything we’ve seen all year. Both teams will give our o line problems.

Nick Bosa will be a nightmare for our tackles. 49ers have the better offensive skill players and Shanahan puts them to good use. They also have the #1 scoring D. That said, I think the 49ers will be a better matchup for us than Philly.

Hurts has the dual threat ability to give us real trouble, and their D leads the league in sacks this year.

Lou’s D has not given up more than 24 points in a postseason game in the last two seasons. Can it keep that up if we make the Super Bowl against one of those two teams? Can our line, which played great last week, hold their own against one of these defenses?

Which team is the best matchup for Cincy?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Eagles would be my preference. We have experience with running QB's and Burrow is getting the ball out quick enough to mi gate the pass rush.

Think Jonah and Cappa would be back for the Super Bowl as well.

I view the 49ers as a Suped Up Ravens team and that would be tough to stop.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I think lou's defense would confound Brock Purdy into making mistakes and expose him and is limited talent. The 49ers would win in the trenches on both sides of the ball similarly, so would the eagles but more so. Both opponents would produce similar difficulties as the Baltimore Ravens posed in the playoffs. If the Bengals can get past the Kansas City Chiefs, I think the 49ers would be a better matchup.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
As good as their roster is, I would prefer to face a rookie QB. Both teams are incredible and they are strong in positions that match up well with Cincinnati. If I had to choose, if Cincinnati beats KC this weekend, I would take the 49ers but neither are a great choice. Both very strong teams.
Reply/Quote
Philly is a way more complete team. Good CB’s, good WR’s, elite OL, 3 players with double digit sacks, better QB, etc.

Bosa would be my only worry with SF. But I’d like our chances much more against them.

That said, I wish people would stop making threads like this. One game at a time.

Reply/Quote
I’ve seen Brock Purdy in person at ISU plus watched him a bunch. He’s like that golfer that shoots par all the time but occasionally shoots 82. I watched Jalen Hurts at OU a bunch. He’s dramatically better and much respect. I really would rather play SF but not to be a Debbie Downer but I don’t like our matchup with either defensively. They both have issues with us too and our firepower.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I honestly think Philly is a better matchup for us. For starters, we already know how to handle a running QB (Lamar Jackson). To be fair, Hurts will still get some rushing yards, I'd imagine, but he better be able to read defenses from a passing perspective better than Lamar or he'll be in for a long game.

And while the Eagles defense is ranked really high, if you look back at who they played, it's hard to give their defense FULL credit as opposed to playing bad offenses. They've faced the Lions, Vikings, Commanders (twice), Jaguars, Cardinals, Cowboys (twice), Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Green Bay, Tennessee, Giants (twice), Chicago, and the Saints.

Of those teams, the only ones with decent offenses were the Lions (who scored 35 points), the Cowboys with Dak Prescott at QB (who scored 40 points), the Packers (who scored 33 points), and maybe the Jaguars (who scored 21 points). The Vikings were the only team with a pretty good offense (statistically anyways) that the Eagles were able to shut down - Vikings scored 7 points.

So as awesome as it would be to beat the 49ers for our first Super Bowl ever, I think our best chances lie with the team who not only can we probably stop/slow down better but who's defense won't stymie our offense that much.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
When’s the last time a rookie QB won the Super Bowl anyway? Seems like that would be quite a challenge for SF, no matter how good their coaching is.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When’s the last time a rookie QB won the Super Bowl anyway? Seems like that would be quite a challenge for SF, no matter how good their coaching is.

Apparently rookie QBs are 0-5 (or something close) in conference championships so the SB likelihood isn't looking too great. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Philly is a way more complete team. Good CB’s, good WR’s, elite OL, 3 players with double digit sacks, better QB, etc.

Bosa would be my only worry with SF. But I’d like our chances much more against them.

That said, I wish people would stop making threads like this. One game at a time.

SF has a very stout D. It’s a lot more than just Bosa, but he the major concern.

As far as one game at a time, this is literally the next game in the NFL. So yeah it is one game at a time. Everyone will be watching this game before ours so if we match up against one better than the other now is the time to discuss it.

Besides, not like there is a whole lot to discuss vs KC. Played them 3 times in the last year or so. Only thing to discuss is Mahomes and nobody really knows anything about his status right now. Not really much being discussed about that game on the board anyway.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I honestly think Philly is a better matchup for us. For starters, we already know how to handle a running QB (Lamar Jackson). To be fair, Hurts will still get some rushing yards, I'd imagine, but he better be able to read defenses from a passing perspective better than Lamar or he'll be in for a long game.

And while the Eagles defense is ranked really high, if you look back at who they played, it's hard to give their defense FULL credit as opposed to playing bad offenses. They've faced the Lions, Vikings, Commanders (twice), Jaguars, Cardinals, Cowboys (twice), Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Green Bay, Tennessee, Giants (twice), Chicago, and the Saints.

Of those teams, the only ones with decent offenses were the Lions (who scored 35 points), the Cowboys with Dak Prescott at QB (who scored 40 points), the Packers (who scored 33 points), and maybe the Jaguars (who scored 21 points). The Vikings were the only team with a pretty good offense (statistically anyways) that the Eagles were able to shut down - Vikings scored 7 points.

So as awesome as it would be to beat the 49ers for our first Super Bowl ever, I think our best chances lie with the team who not only can we probably stop/slow down better but who's defense won't stymie our offense that much.

Interesting points, they have been scored on from time to time. More feast or famine than SF this year. Only the Raiders broke 30 on SF.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Philly is a way more complete team. Good CB’s, good WR’s, elite OL, 3 players with double digit sacks, better QB, etc.

Amen!!!
Reply/Quote
Add this:

San Francisco: 6 all pros
Philly: 6 all pros

(Of course Kansas City: 6 all pros; Bengals: 0 all pros)
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: ****

The issue is the 49ers vs Philly is the early, 3pm game. It would be nice to have a rooting interest in that game.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:37 PM)burreauxs Wrote: Apparently rookie QBs are 0-5 (or something close) in conference championships so the SB likelihood isn't looking too great. 

Right. The odds are stacked against them. The other 3 QB’s left are all MVP finalists.

Reply/Quote
They have to get past Kansas City, which will not be an easy game, before worrying about the opponent. One game at a time is what got us here. These types of threads are waking up the Karma Gods...don't put the jinx out

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote