Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the face of the franchise and who is the unsung hero of the franchise?
So I was watching NFL insiders this week and they did AFC North face of the franchise and AFC North unsung hero. For the Bengals they came up with Marvin Lewis as the face of the franchise and Wallace Gilberry as the unsung hero. So who is your face of the franchise and who is your unsung hero of the franchise?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If we lose another playoff game or fail to reach the playoffs, Dalton will definitely be the face of the franchise and there will be no unsung heroes.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 02:06 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: If we lose another playoff game or fail to reach the playoffs, Dalton will definitely be the face of the franchise and there will be no unsung heroes.

Does that mean if we lose another first round playoff game, you'll add Dalton to your sig?  Smirk

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is clearly the face of the franchise.

My vote for unsung hero goes to Iloka.
Reply/Quote
Andrew Whitworth face of franchise
Adam Jones unsung hero
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 04:25 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Andrew Whitworth face of franchise
Adam Jones unsung hero

I agree that to Bengal fans Whit could be considered the face of the franchise, but he is barely a blip on the radar to the average NFL fan.

Adam Jones was just elected First Team All Pro.  Hard to call a guy like that "unsung".
Reply/Quote
Only one reply for a Dalton comment....Just like the old boards...LOVE IT!!!
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:52 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Only one reply for a Dalton comment....Just like the old boards...LOVE IT!!!

Yep.....but Marv has lost more than Andy.  He oughta be the face of the franchise, he's been shitting his pants in Prime Time and the playoffs since Moby Dick was a minnow!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:52 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Only one reply for a Dalton comment....Just like the old boards...LOVE IT!!!

Rolleyes  his comment was absolutely nothing like the old boards. Andy is a very appropriate answer in this thread where your comment would be better suited for a thread completely unrelated to our QB. You comment makes just about 0 sense in a thread where Andy is a legitimate answer.

Face of the franchise - Andy (omg no andy threadS!@!!!!!1) or Marvin, I think it's probably ML right now but Andy will get closer as the years go on assuming we don't have a JJ Watt or Adrian Peterson on the team.
Unsung Hero - Iloka, without him, I don't think our secondary would have looked nearly as good over the past year or so
Reply/Quote
I think the face of our franchise is still Boomer Esiason, and that says it all.
Reply/Quote
The real face of this franchise outside of us is Choking when it Counts.

Despite what some on here will try and lead you to believe we're a half a rung above the laughingstocks we were in the 90's/early 00's.

I'm way more than ready for that to change !

Unsung hero's - us
Reply/Quote
Face of the franchise - Andy Dalton.

We can't stop talking about him and nobody else can either. He epitomizes the Bengals. If you talk about the Bengals, the conversation always ends up on Dalton. Good and bad, he is the face of the franchise.

Unsung hero - Reggie Nelson.

Watched this guy save us multiple times with clutch late game ints. He seems to make big plays without anyone giving a care. He is a HUGE part of our defense that is discredited because of guys like Atkins and Burfict. I love me some Reggie Nelson, and everyone else should too. So many personal foul calls on perfect hits by Nelson have devalued his play for the average viewer.
Reply/Quote
The face of the franchise, in my mind, is the player that people think of when you say the team name.

And for the Bengals, that is absolutely, unequivocally, Andy Dalton.

For better or for worse, EVERYONE knows Andy Dalton. And he has become a symbol of this team. He is a great, talented QB who chokes when there is anything real on the line.
Just like every single Bengals employee.

As for the unsung hero, it is Reggie Nelson. It kind of has to be Reggie Nelson. He has held our secondary together ever since 2010. Injuries and free agency losses at CB, Crocker and Illoka at SS and the LB corp shifting every single game, due to injuries.

He is really the only constant on the backend of our defense. Illoka looks like he will be as well, but he's only started for the last 2 years or so.

Nelson is one of our best defensive players, but he is never even mentioned in terms of top safeties in the league. It's terrible. He is an all pro free safety, easy.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that to Bengal fans Whit could be considered the face of the franchise, but he is barely a blip on the radar to the average NFL fan.

Adam Jones was just elected First Team All Pro.  Hard to call a guy like that "unsung".

Would that make Whit the unsung hero?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 01:06 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The face of the franchise, in my mind, is the player that people think of when you say the team name.

And for the Bengals, that is absolutely, unequivocally, Andy Dalton.

For better or for worse, EVERYONE knows Andy Dalton. And he has become a symbol of this team. He is a great, talented QB who chokes when there is anything real on the line.
Just like every single Bengals employee.

As for the unsung hero, it is Reggie Nelson. It kind of has to be Reggie Nelson. He has held our secondary together ever since 2010. Injuries and free agency losses at CB, Crocker and Illoka at SS and the LB corp shifting every single game, due to injuries.

He is really the only constant on the backend of our defense. Illoka looks like he will be as well, but he's only started for the last 2 years or so.

Nelson is one of our best defensive players, but he is never even mentioned in terms of top safeties in the league. It's terrible. He is an all pro free safety, easy.

dude did you like copy my post? lol Tongue  looks like we have similar feelings.
Reply/Quote
For better or worse, Andy is probably the face of the franchise, at least amongst the players, whitworth is the unsung hero, and, in reality, should be the face amongst the players.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2015, 01:26 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: dude did you like copy my post? lol Tongue  looks like we have similar feelings.

After I wrote mine, I looked up one comment and thought "Damn, thought I was being original with the recognition of Nelson." haha.

Oh well. Our point still stands :)
Reply/Quote
Face of Franchise: A.J. Green

Many know Green mostly due to him being one of the top wide receivers in the game.

Unsung Hero: Reggie Nelson or Andrew Whit.

Reggie Nelson has had amazing years with us and still goes unnoticed. Same with Whit, who had another pro-bowl type year but didn't even make it to the pro bowl.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 01:56 AM)J24 Wrote: So I was watching NFL insiders this week and they did AFC North face of the franchise and AFC North unsung hero. For the Bengals they came up with Marvin Lewis as the face of the franchise and Wallace Gilberry as the unsung hero. So who is your face of the franchise and who is your unsung hero of the franchise?

Even though he's long passed, I think Paul Brown will always be the face of the franchise.  Unsung hero:  Andrew Whitworth.  
Reply/Quote
AJ Green and Dalton are the faces of the franchise. In Pittsburgh no one really talks about Whit. People bring up Lewis, but Green and Dalton are always brought up first.

Unsung hero: Reggie Nelson. Also think Rey Maualuga was an unsung hero last season. Sure he's not an All-Pro, but you could tell how much the team missed him and what kind of impact he had during his injuries.

Also, don't like how they put Gilberry as an unsung hero. He's a rotational guy. There's plenty of players better than him and have actually stepped up in a starting role.
Reply/Quote