Poll: Who is the most important for helping Burrow during his rookie season?
Zac Taylor - Head Coach
Brian Callahan - Offensive Coordinator
Dan Pitcher - QB Coach
Jonah Williams - OL
Other (Explain in post)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the most important for Joe Burrow in his rookie season?
(04-16-2020, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know if he is #1 or not, but Tyler Boyd is money on third downs.  Guys like that don't put up huge yardage numbers, but they are crucial to the offense.

If everyone stays healthy our trio of "starting" WRs (Green, Boyd, Ross) will remind some people of Chad, TJ, and Henry.  If not in talent level at least in the roles they play.  And just like back in those days, todays offense probably won't throw a lot to the TE.  Housh used to do the dirty work and grind out a lot of those short first downs that TEs usually handle.  Boyd is very good at this also.  That type of receiver is gold for a rookie QB.

Well said.  Boyd is exceptional on third down.  I don't know the numbers either but he has to be among the leaders.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 05:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, having a decent running game will help tremendously ! Be able to pick up some 3rd and 3's and keep drives going and so on. It's a young QB's best friend.

But I went with ZT. He has to do a 180 from last season on the playcalling/schemes. He's got to put together a plan and get it working probably with a shortened pre season.

He's going to have to do a lot to prove he's an NFl caliber HC and with a rookie QB.

Having the O-line and weapons healthy should help Zac big time. He definitely needs to get better at play calling though
that is for sure. Think Zac and Brian will need to adjust our scheme more towards the LSU Offense that Burrow had last 
year while keep what was working late last year going for us.
Reply/Quote
The MVP of the season will be whoever can figure out how to get a rookie QB ready for the season on Skype.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan, and Dan Pitcher will all be fairly equal in terms of designing the offense, building a gameplan, and having Burrow ready for Sunday.

If I was to pick a player it would be Trey Hopkins who will be instrumental in helping Burrow set the protections and helping him recognize what defensive fronts are doing pre-snap.

Hopkins is a good one, sure happy we finally have a decent Center. Definitely should help out Burrow tons as we all know
what a shitty one can do to a QB.

(04-16-2020, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know if he is #1 or not, but Tyler Boyd is money on third downs.  Guys like that don't put up huge yardage numbers, but they are crucial to the offense.

If everyone stays healthy our trio of "starting" WRs (Green, Boyd, Ross) will remind some people of Chad, TJ, and Henry.  If not in talent level at least in the roles they play.  And just like back in those days, todays offense probably won't throw a lot to the TE.  Housh used to do the dirty work and grind out a lot of those short first downs that TEs usually handle.  Boyd is very good at this also.  That type of receiver is gold for a rookie QB.

Boyd is one guy you can usually always count on too. Always said he reminds me of Housh in the way Boyd runs his routes
and is clutch with great hands. Sure doesn't seem like Zac puts much stock in TE's either so yeah, this makes sense even if 
I would prefer us using versatile TE's more in the passing game. Think it helps out the QB having those big targets out there.

Good thing Burrow is accurate as heck so it might not even matter.
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams
AJ Green
Joe mixon
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 02:26 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Absolutely, I'm also hopeful the draft yields some personnel that can help keep Joe clean.  Whether it be an OL, blocking TE, or even a late round FB, I want to see picks that support Burrow.
Hopefully, the plan is to move Sample to Hback or even straight FB. Then draft a pass catching TE (Moss-LSU or Kmet-ND)...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 06:25 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Hopefully, the plan is to move Sample to Hback or even straight FB. Then draft a pass catching TE (Moss-LSU or Kmet-ND)...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think we have to hope Sample comes along, he was the best blocking TE his last year in college.

We need a pass catching TE to help replace Eifert is what I believe as well. I like Deguara the Bearcat too in this draft.
Reply/Quote

Good point Fred  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we have to hope Sample comes along, he was the best blocking TE his last year in college.

We need a pass catching TE to help replace Eifert is what I believe as well. I like Deguara the Bearcat too in this draft.

Sample is one I'm pulling for to have a rebound season. Hope we didn't waste a 2nd round pick, again.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 07:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sample is one I'm pulling for to have a rebound season. Hope we didn't waste a 2nd round pick, again.

Well, he was a rookie and got hurt so hard to tell. I wanted to get Sample before that Draft but in the mid rounds. 

Still, never dropped a pass that year so he has good hands and he can block and as Fred has noted from the combine, he can
be athletic to boot. Hope that all of us saying Sample was a reach will eat our words soon enough.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor.
Color me unimpressed with his play calling
Took 10 games to figure out how to use Mixon
Taylor needs to adapt this offense to what Burrow
Does best.
Funny thing Taylor looked like a real roll the dice
Execute without fear playcaller caller vs the Hawks
Then he went into coaching scared mode at times
Reply/Quote
OTHER
I have no doubt his family, including his girl friend, will be the most important in his rookie year.
On the field, probably Trey Hopkins, he makes the Oline calls, and with all the new road graders on the line, he is the guy who has to make the calls keeping Burrow upright and productive.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I went with other. The other being AJ Green. If he stays healthy, and his game hasn’t completely fallen off a cliff, Burrow should have a pretty good season.

AJ Green was my first thought.

Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor. How Burrow is coached is going to be huge. He’s got to give the kid confidence even when he fails, then go back to it and let him succeed. Plus, ZT has QB coaching experience as well - which, a part of me hopes he doesn’t get involved there. That could get confusing for Joe and possibly set him back.

Reply/Quote
I can clearly see that I'm in the minority here, as I'm the only one who has voted for QB Coach Dan Pitcher. He's coming off a season of working with an NFL offensive mastermind in Joe Brady. It will be of utmost importance for Pitcher and Burrow to establish and maintain a strong relationship and excellent communication channels.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I went with other. The other being AJ Green. If he stays healthy, and his game hasn’t completely fallen off a cliff, Burrow should have a pretty good season.

I went back and forth between AJ and Williams, ultimately choosing Williams.  I think back to week 1 and how the offense fared without Green, but with no time to throw as the line faltered there was an impact on all weapons with the LT issues, including the rushing attack.

Plus, as much as I like Andy....I see Burrow as a guy that will elevate all the offensive weapons.  

Don't get me wrong, I agree that we really need Green out there to open things up on offense, but with another revolving door at LT Burrow could get toasted.  
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we have to hope Sample comes along, he was the best blocking TE his last year in college.

He will be long gone before the Bengals would use a pick on a TE, but I have to give mention to Adam Trautman from THE University of Dayton....if only because I have never been able to talk about a player being drafted from there....but he is a special talent.  
Reply/Quote
A. J. Green
Reply/Quote
I went other and like a few others I would say Jim Turner.
If he gets the O-Line to protect Burrow and open lanes up for Mixon, We are going to have a hell of a season
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can clearly see that I'm in the minority here, as I'm the only one who has voted for QB Coach Dan Pitcher.  He's coming off a season of working with an NFL offensive mastermind in Joe Brady.  It will be of utmost importance for Pitcher and Burrow to establish and maintain a strong relationship and excellent communication channels.

Great point as usual Sunset.

(04-17-2020, 09:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He will be long gone before the Bengals would use a pick on a TE, but I have to give mention to Adam Trautman from THE University of Dayton....if only because I have never been able to talk about a player being drafted from there....but he is a special talent.  

Guess I have been hung up too much on Moss and Degaura.

I think I have heard Trautman's name like once. He is a pass catching TE?
Reply/Quote