Poll: Who is the one player the Bengals can least afford to lose to injury?
This poll is closed.
Andy Dalton
49.37%
39 49.37%
Jeremy Hill
13.92%
11 13.92%
AJ Green
17.72%
14 17.72%
Andrew Whitworth
2.53%
2 2.53%
Kevin Zeitler
0%
0 0%
Tyler Eifert
1.27%
1 1.27%
Geno Atkins
6.33%
5 6.33%
Carlos Dunlap
1.27%
1 1.27%
Michael Johnson
0%
0 0%
Vontaze Burfict
3.80%
3 3.80%
Leon Hall
0%
0 0%
Rey Maualuga
0%
0 0%
Reggie Nelson
1.27%
1 1.27%
George Iloka
0%
0 0%
Other (state whom)
2.53%
2 2.53%
Total 79 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Who is the one player the Bengals can least afford to lose to injury?
If Green misses time this year again we're in some deep crud. Our receiving corps is thinner than a thin wheat.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
After the dismal playoff performance on offense last year, I can't see how we can go anywhere without AJ Green. Even if he's not playing at his normal high level, he opens up the options for other players. Without him, the offense is fairly easy to defend, with him, he demands double teams and opens up the middle and the box.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton but if we take him out of the discussion then it is Geno.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I voted for Burfict.

People forget how dominant he was and how our defense lost it's edge without him.

We can lose Hill and have Gio, lose Green and have Jones/Sanu/Moore, lose Whit and have Fisher/Winston, lose Andy have McCarron/Pryor ........ I'm done seeing Vinny Rey whiffing tackles.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2015, 10:37 PM)WCStripes Wrote: Voted for AJ, when he was out, our passing game went straight down the toilet. That happens again and teams will stack that box to stop Hill and make Andy beat them with his arm.

Not necessarily. The Colts were able to shut things down obviously, but in the other 3 games Dalton had a 93.1 rating and averaged 248 yards. The offense posted 24, 33 and 37 points. The team went 2-1-1 in games AJ missed. They also won the Broncos game when he was used solely as a decoy.

Obviously losing AJ would be a big blow, but I think they proved last year that it wouldn't sink them.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2015, 12:07 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: If Green misses time this year again we're in some deep crud. Our receiving corps is thinner than a thin wheat.

We're in better shape this year with the return of MLJ and the addition of Denarius Moore.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2015, 02:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not necessarily. The Colts were able to shut things down obviously, but in the other 3 games Dalton had a 93.1 rating and averaged 248 yards. The offense posted 24, 33 and 37 points. The team went 2-1-1 in games AJ missed. They also won the Broncos game when he was used solely as a decoy.

Obviously losing AJ would be a big blow, but I think they proved last year that it wouldn't sink them.

Good points, but for me the thought of relying on Andy is down right scary. I have no faith in him what so ever.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2015, 03:06 AM)WCStripes Wrote: Good points, but for me the thought of relying on Andy is down right scary. I have no faith in him what so ever.

That's fine, but without him we're worse off.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dalton (as with most teams, QB is the biggest achilles heel to lose). Although, Atkins is right up there with him.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2015, 09:30 PM)Chipperson Wrote: Whitworth or Jeremy Hill

I don't really need to explain or sumpthin, but I will anyway

I don't trust Fisher just yet. I still think he needs to get stronger to take on NFL d-ends er sumtin

And Andre Smith can NOT stay healthy for the life of him Tss

Jeremy Hill is a playmaker. Top 5 half back in my eyes . (I should use eye drops to get him out or sumptin)

Gio is a 3rd down back kind of guy. Sorta like Chip Perry in 05. Oops, I meant Chris Perry

I'm jus chippin

I think it is Hill too. If they lose him, they become a one dimensional, easy to defend team. I do not think it would be exactly the same issue if AJ went down; though obviously it would hurt.
Reply/Quote
As much as I hate to say it, the team, any NFL team for that matter, can least afford to lose their starting QB. (unless of course you're Cleveland..)

While it is painfully evident that Andy Dalton is just an "average" NFL QB, he still is very competent. I thought he did a decent job of holding things together, as the team crumbled around him last season. Not only was he short of receiving targets last season, but the defense was held together by paper clips and duct tape, as well. There are several aspects of his game that I would like to see him improve upon; things like using all of the weapons he has on the field, improve his elusiveness in the pocket, better selling of the PA, etc. One thing that I am certain of is that short of drafting a blue chip QB, he's the best option for this team to win with.

While there are several position players who's potential absence could be thought of as devastating to the team's chances of winning, none compares to the loss of a starting QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2015, 09:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As much as I hate to say it, the team, any NFL team for that matter, can least afford to lose their starting QB.  (unless of course you're Cleveland..)  

While it is painfully evident that Andy Dalton is just an "average" NFL QB, he still is very competent.  I thought he did a decent job of holding things together, as the team crumbled around him last season.  Not only was he short of receiving targets last season, but the defense was held together by paper clips and duct tape, as well.  There are several aspects of his game that I would like to see him improve upon; things like using all of the weapons he has on the field, improve his elusiveness in the pocket, better selling of the PA, etc.  One thing that I am certain of is that short of drafting a blue chip QB, he's the best option for this team to win with.

While there are several position players who's potential absence could be thought of as devastating to the team's chances of winning, none compares to the loss of a starting QB.

lol Dalton spreads the ball around very well when he has people to throw to. In 2013 he and drew brees were the only 2 QBs with 6 receivers with 400+ yards. He's not that bad with PA either. I will say his pocket awareness isn't one of his strong points though.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2015, 03:06 AM)WCStripes Wrote: Good points, but for me the thought of relying on Andy is down right scary. I have no faith in him what so ever.

We're relying on Andy whether or not AJ is playing. AJ Green does not magically fix Andy's problems, nor does he cover them up.

Most of Andy's INT's come when throwing at AJ. I'm not saying AJ causes Andy to throw bad balls, I'm just saying that AJ doesn't make Andy a better QB. Andy is who he is.
Reply/Quote
I went with Dunlap.
With out him, our DL is really bad.
Reply/Quote
I picked hill, just because him and the defense is going to be the key to taking us to the next level IMO, if his game is upped after last year, were sitting pretty, but if he goes down I think gio could fill the role nicely, but not "hill nice". Dalton also, our backups suck ass
Reply/Quote
I thought outside the box here and put Reggie Nelson. I believe he is one of our best players and is taken for granted most of the time. He is often referred to as a leader of the defense and helps the secondary get in the right position. I don't believe we have a starting caliber player behind him on the depth chart, and we would see a ton more of Martavius Bryant running down the field on us. Reggie is taken for granted around here!
Reply/Quote
There is only one answer to this question...Most every player on that list has been injured or missed games since Dalton has been here...Dalton has missed exactly 1/2 of a game in his first year...Whether you like it or not, losing Dalton would be the biggest injury on the current roster.

BTW..We still won games when those players missed game time.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2015, 11:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Just playing devil's advocate here, but didn't we make the playoffs 3 times in a row without Hill? Ninja

Yes. Little bit different offense under Gruden. I know we have Gio but an offense geared around the running game would need both of them healthy.
Reply/Quote
I said other and my logic is simple. No one is so great they can't be replaced. Yeah if AJ goes down it will hurt and see a drop off. Same for dalton but it will just be next batter up. Injuries are apart of the game. Happens to every team in the league. You have to build up the back ups just as you do the starters. On that note this draft brings a lot I think. One of the most crucial parts of a roster where injuries can really set a team back is the offensive line. Our first two picks being two OT is nothing pretty but those picks elevate the depth on the o line so much. Kinda went off on a rabbit trail there. Sorry XD
Reply/Quote
I went with Geno. I think the past shows what happens to the entire front 7 when he isn't 100%. RBs are pretty replaceable, the Bengals did alright with Green, they may play better without Dalton, and none of the secondary is invaluable.
Reply/Quote