Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the top Offensive Tackle Prospect?
Penei Sewell and Rashawn Slater have been debated by top evaluators who is OT1. Sewell was the inexperienced huge mauler in a weaker conference and Slater the refined technician in a stronger conference.

Several of the top Draft Analysts have Slater as the top Offensive Tackle Prospect. Who is yours? I know after today it's more up in the air for me.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:21 AM)Synric Wrote: Penei Sewell and Rashawn Slater have been debated by top evaluators who is OT1. Sewell was the inexperienced huge mauler in a weaker conference and Slater the refined technician in a stronger conference.

Several of the top Draft Analysts have Slater as the top Offensive Tackle Prospect. Who is yours? I know after today it's more up in the air for me.

Yeah, I actually think the gap closed a bit today. I’d still go Sewell though because I think his ceiling is higher.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:21 AM)Synric Wrote: Penei Sewell and Rashawn Slater have been debated by top evaluators who is OT1. Sewell was the inexperienced huge mauler in a weaker conference and Slater the refined technician in a stronger conference.

Trying to decide between 2 sacks, 2 hits, and 19 hurries in 949 pass blocking snaps and 1 sack, 3 hits, and 11 hurries in 706 pass blocking snaps is not an easy task.  My gut and head are leaning towards Sewell also due to the ephemeral "higher ceiling" reason.  But we did see Slater blank a guy who got 7.5 sacks his rookie season in the nfl.

So we need to consider the competition.

The Big 10s top 5 sack leaders for 2019:
1. Chase Young* • Ohio State 16.5
2. Zack Baun* • Wisconsin 12.5
3. Chris Orr* • Wisconsin 11.5
A.J. Epenesa* • Iowa 11.5
5. Kenny Willekes* • Michigan State 10.0

The PAC 12's top 5 sack leaders for 2019: (Thibodeaux doesn't count)
1. Hamilcar Rashed Jr • Oregon State 14.0
2. Bradlee Anae* • Utah 13.0
3. Cameron Goode* • California 9.5
4. Kayvon Thibodeaux* • Oregon 9.0
5. Casey Toohill • Stanford 8.0
Joe Tryon* • Washington 8.0

The Big 10 had better pass rushers than the Pac 12. Both teams shared 2 opponents in 2019 with Northwestern playing Stanford and Oregon met Wisconsin in the rose bowl that year.  In the rose bowl both of the Wisconsin sack leaders were blanked.  In Northwesterns game against Stanford Toohil got 1 sack. In 2018 they each shared an opponent with Northwestern meeting Utah in the Holiday Bowl and Oregon meeting Michigan State in the Redbox (wtf?) bowl. Without watching each game there is no real way to see how many times the respective sack leaders went against Slater or Rashawn.  Maybe someday I will have the time.  

So after all that my answer is ... Lemme think on it  Cool

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
One plays with the on field demeanor I cherish. The other does not. Pretty easy choice.

I don’t see enough violence and aggressiveness from Slater.
Reply/Quote
I've warmed substantially on Slater.  He's a driven and smart guy who just worked his ass off to put up good measurables.  

The measurables don't always mean anything, but great broad jump scores are shared by a lot of the all time GOATs at OT.  If his coach is willing to put his reputation on the line and say something about Sewell being the best that he's ever been around, that tells me that he has what it takes between the ears.  When an OT gets done dominating one guy on a play and moves onto the next, that says a lot about the guy's heart too.  It's Sewell.  He is a cornerstone kind of guy.  From the day that you draft him, a player like Sewell can impact each and every offensive snap that your team runs.  I don't think that it's even that close.  
Reply/Quote
Way too much stock being put into these Pro Days.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 06:49 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Way too much stock being put into these Pro Days.

The tape and pro day are all evaluators have. And these 2 missed all last year so you have even less tape to watch putting more emphasis on tge pro day.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 06:49 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Way too much stock being put into these Pro Days.

Three of the top Draft Analysts Daniel Jeremiah, Lance Zeirlein, and Dane Brugler all had Rashawn Slater as their OT1 well before any testing. Penei Sewell was given the edge by alot of other sites because of his athletic potential and PFF scores. Now after testing both had solid showings but Rashawn Slater measured in longer than expected which was his biggest concern.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Still Sewell. Their floors are close but their ceilings aren't. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:50 PM)Synric Wrote:
Three of the top Draft Analysts Daniel Jeremiah, Lance Zeirlein, and Dane Brugler
all had Rashawn Slater as their OT1 well before any testing. Penei Sewell was given the edge by alot of other sites because of his athletic potential and PFF scores. Now after testing both had solid showings but Rashawn Slater measured in longer than expected which was his biggest concern.

What is the factual info to declare these 3 are top draft analysts? What is their score on their rankings the past 5 years? Where did they Mahommes? Where did they have Rosen? How about OT's and OL in 2017 to 2020?

Just because they say they and other say they are too draft analysts may not make it so.

How do you rank it as top ? 93% or better accurate? Has anyone ever ranked them after a draft on % spot on?

I think these so called experts are like weathermen with low expectations from fans to be very accurate.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 10:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What is the factual info to declare these 3 are top draft analysts? What is their score on their rankings the past 5 years? Where did they Mahommes? Where did they have Rosen? How about OT's and OL in 2017 to 2020?

Just because they say they and other say they are too draft analysts may not make it so.

How do you rank it as top ? 93% or better accurate? Has anyone ever ranked them after a draft on % spot on?

I think these so called experts are like weathermen with low expectations from fans to be very accurate.

They're employed by major outlets
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:05 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: One plays with the on field demeanor I cherish. The other does not. Pretty easy choice.

I don’t see enough violence and aggressiveness from Slater.

You know.....  the Bengals have never had a vocal "light a fire under our ass" guy since Burfict.  It would be nice to have at least one fired up guy leading us into battle.  It's nice to have a lot of non-talking professional skilled players, but I think this team needs a Ray Lewis, Jim Harbough, Drew Brees type to get the extra edge.  I think Sewell could be that guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 11:27 PM)Yogo Wrote: You know.....  the Bengals have never had a vocal "light a fire under our ass" guy since Burfict.  It would be nice to have at least one fired up guy leading us into battle.  It's nice to have a lot of non-talking professional skilled players, but I think this team needs a Ray Lewis, Jim Harbough, Drew Brees type to get the extra edge.  I think Sewell could be that guy.

Mike Daniels before the first Steelers game...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLKJ8GiDihj/

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 11:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mike Daniels before the first Steelers game...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLKJ8GiDihj/

Which is decent.  Mike is a rotational player who just got here and hasn't been through the Bengal Steeler history till then.  He may have heard about the history, but not until recently been a part of it.  But eh...  I'll take it.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:11 AM)Yogo Wrote: Which is decent.  Mike is a rotational player who just got here and hasn't been through the Bengal Steeler history till then.  He may have heard about the history, but not until recently been a part of it.  But eh...  I'll take it.

Best I can do on defense. I think Mixon is a good hype man on the other side of the ball.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 11:27 PM)Yogo Wrote: You know.....  the Bengals have never had a vocal "light a fire under our ass" guy since Burfict.  It would be nice to have at least one fired up guy leading us into battle.  It's nice to have a lot of non-talking professional skilled players, but I think this team needs a Ray Lewis, Jim Harbough, Drew Brees type to get the extra edge.  I think Sewell could be that guy.

I remember a “benches clearing brawl” in the Miami game last year and a picture of our OL sitting on their ass on the bench.

I wasn’t happy about it. In a violent game won by alphas our “protectors” showed their true colors. Kind of made me think Tobin has been targeting the wrong type of guys at the position.
Reply/Quote
Superior technique or incredible upside and nastiness. That’s the difference here.

Slater is nasty too but Sewell shows more
Reply/Quote
I'd still say Sewell, but the gap is basically as small as it gets at this point.
Reply/Quote
I'm for Sewell, but I'd be happy with either. With Slater we could potentially trade back and get another 2nd round pick and I wouldnt complain either. I would love to target one of these guys in the 1st. I believe its a bigger need than WR. We have to build the foundation of the team. Starts on the lines.
Reply/Quote
I'm on team Sewell but if Atlanta drafts him, I'm on board with drafting Slater at 5 . Slater looks like a 8 time pro bowl guard and I would love to have him.
Reply/Quote