Poll: What will Jessie Bates be considered by the end of the season?
Silent Assassin
Silent Fart
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is this Jessie Bates?
I ask again, who is this Jessie Bates character? 

If I was the Colts O-coordinator, I would be game-planning to take a few shots at the rookie safety. I've enjoyed this mysterious invisible Jessie Bates, but i'm nervous/excited to find out what will happen when the ball is actually thrown his way.

Just another wrinkle in the excitement that is this season thus far IMO. Fingers crossed he turns out good!  Smirk
but I hope our fans show some patience with the rookie..

What i want to know, is by the end of the year, will he be known as our silent assassin, or will he have fizzled out like a silent fart?
Reply/Quote
He sometimes gets confused with Owens. That Owens kid is pretty good.

And no, I'm never living that joke down.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
He's due to get beat a few times this year as a rookie. Hopefully it doesn't cost us games. The upside we are hoping is that he picks some balls George wouldnt. George missed a pick in the Pittsburgh game last year that would have essentially ended it.
Reply/Quote
Silent what? Was Ice Cube any good at rap? Hell yeah, Bates is going to be good at Safety.

I hope teams do test him, and he does get beat a time or two. He needs to get those experiences out of the way, so that he can learn to not make those mistakes again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Owens jokes aside...I looked at the combine stuff. I must admit, I skimmed it when we drafted him. I like what I'm reading. Looks pretty good. I didn't really notice him much in preseason though.

Did notice Iloka's big ol' whiff of a tackle.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
My silent farts are as deadly as any assassin.

And much damper.
Reply/Quote
Bates will make rookie mistakes, no denying that. However, if our front 7 can live up to the hype, then he'll have his shot at catching some errant passes this season. He's athletic and smart, so I'm expecting him to get the captain C patch in a couple of years.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I really have no idea what to expect from this guy, but if we're cutting Iloka and starting a rookie safety, he must have really impressed the coaches. We've usually made DBs wait a year or two under Marv.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I remember the Vigil thread and the after hype result that followed. Going to refrain from using either term. I will say we should see rapid growth as the season goes on.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 11:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My silent farts are as deadly as any assassin.

And much damper.

This made me throw up in my mouth a little.   Sick
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a friend who's son is the center at Wake Forest. I watched a lot of Wake Forest football, and I scouted Bates.

The kid has such anticipation of passes. He plays a ball in the air like another kid I loved out of Houston. If you remember, I was pimping WJIII because of his ridiculous athleticism but it was his ball skills that I really adored. He (WJIII) had 28 PBUs his senior year. One year. Bates didn't have that gaudy a stat line, but he did have 5 INTs his first season playing at Wake Forest (his redshirt freshman season). He only added one last year, but his role changed somewhat.

He is still very young, but I feel like he could evolve in to one of those AFC North terrorist safeties like Ed Reed or Polumalu. I don't think he will be the pass rushing threat of Polumolu, but his route anticipation and how he attacks the ball in the air sure shows a lot of potential.

Teams will surely test him. Fine. He is EXACTLY what this defense needed, with a handful of strong safeties and no true free safeties.

A silent assassin? Not yet, but the kid will make plays on balls in the air....something we rarely saw from our previous "you catch it then I tackle you" safeties. But he is far from a silent fart.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I ask again, who is this Jessie Bates character? 

If I was the Colts O-coordinator, I would be game-planning to take a few shots at the rookie safety. I've enjoyed this mysterious invisible Jessie Bates, but i'm nervous/excited to find out what will happen when the ball is actually thrown his way.

Just another wrinkle in the excitement that is this season thus far IMO. Fingers crossed he turns out good!  Smirk

What i want to know, is by the end of the year, will he be known as our silent assassin, or will he have fizzled out like a silent fart?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-top-10-rookies-on-offense-defense

Spare me that PFF attacks, but I found this interesting.  Good praise for Bates, Hubbard.  Also praise for Orlando Brown and Ragnow.  
Reply/Quote
I just hope he isn't a liability. Historically, young DBs struggle with the speed of the game. It helps that he's a safety and not a CB. I am optimistic but if he's a below average player this year, I won't be surprised at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:25 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I remember the Vigil thread and the after hype result that followed. Going to refrain from using either term. I will say we should see rapid growth as the season goes on.

To be fair the Vigil thing was basically a meme. No one knew who he was really.
Reply/Quote
I', quite sure the Colts defensive coaches know exactly who Jessie Bates, and what they didn't know, Hewitt has filled them in on.....
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-top-10-rookies-on-offense-defense

Spare me that PFF attacks, but I found this interesting.  Good praise for Bates, Hubbard.  Also praise for Orlando Brown and Ragnow.  

Interesting that Junior Joseph was their 3rd rated rookie LB, yet he's currently a UFA.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 11:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My silent farts are as deadly as any assassin.

And much damper.

If its damp - its a shart!
Reply/Quote

And much damper.

Put a damper on that stove pipe  Ninja

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 01:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really have no idea what to expect from this guy, but if we're cutting Iloka and starting a rookie safety, he must have really impressed the coaches. We've usually made DBs wait a year or two under Marv.

Am in this camp and personally did not key in on him in preseason per watching both sides of the lines play mostly.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I ask again, who is this Jessie Bates character? 

Defensive Coordinator Coach Austin in college coached under Defensive Guru Joe Paterno at Penn State.  Also at Michigan under Carr and Florida under Urban Meyer.  In the NFL he has coached under the likes of Holmgren and John Harbaugh.   He has coached defense in 3 Super Bowls with Seattle, Arizona and Baltimore.   Often he has been defensive secondary coach at Super Bowl Level.   So I see him as a well trained and highly successful defensive secondary coach much like Dick LeBeau.   If anybody can get Bengals secondary playing great ball, it's this guy.   Don't assume Bates is going to be the safety on every play.  I look for Austin to have very sophisticated defensive schemes and looks, moving players in and out.   Remember we only saw the vanilla packages in preseason.  There must be something about this rookie the 3 time Super Bowl coach likes.  Hey, Ronnie Lott was a rookie when he beat the Bengals brains in with 49ers.  Polamalu and Ed Reed had to be rookies once as did David Fulcher.  It's not that I have confidence in Bates, but I do have confidence in Austins defensive coach history. If this kid hadn't showed Austin some game, Super Bowls Austin wouldn't have him on the team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote