Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your Surprise Trade Candidate? (2022)
The last few years Ive done a surprise trade candidate thread. In 2020 I proposed Tyler Boyd and in 2021 I proposed Jessie Bates. Remember these have to be candidates you believe have good value so its usually a guy you don't want to see leave the team.

This year was a little more difficult because while there are good players on the roster none really scream high value. After going over the roster I have have picked.... Tee Higgins.

Higgins is a young receiver with almost 2 1000 yard seasons the start his career. He is still on his rookie deal and its high possible his best football is ahead of him. The Bengals will be losing one of their receivers in the next couple of years and it wouldnt surprise me to see Tee chase big money. Even with the low value on receivers this year I still believe Higgins could fetch back a second round pick because of his contract, age, and future potential. Keep in mind I do not want to trade Higgins but I believe outside of Joe Burrow and Ja'marr Chase he has the best trade value on the roster at the moment.

Who is your surprise trade candidate?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jermaine Pratt is mine. We have a few LB's in Baily, Bachie, and ADJ that could fill that roll. Personally I'd like to keep him, but thinking about our roster he's the one that came to mind. I believe he's also the next LB up for a new contract, too.
Reply/Quote
Burrow, sell high lol
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 01:35 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Burrow, sell high lol

Can we trade for Lombardi's?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 01:35 PM)Sanforbd Wrote: Burrow, sell high lol

Don’t even joke about that. Ban this guy! LOL
Reply/Quote
As we are now "contenders" I cannot reasonably see any person we'd trade away. I do think it's possible we trade a pick for a player.

For instance ATL are rebuilding and in Cap Hell. I'd see how eager that are to offload Grady Jarrett's or Deion Jones' contract.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As we are now "contenders" I cannot reasonably see any person we'd trade away. I do think it's possible we trade a pick for a player.

For instance ATL are rebuilding and in Cap Hell. I'd see how eager that are to offload Grady Jarrett's or Deion Jones' contract.

Agree

We're pretty much in win now mode so I doubt trading away any "good" players is very high on the to do list. But if I had to pick one I'd say Mixon. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As we are now "contenders" I cannot reasonably see any person we'd trade away. I do think it's possible we trade a pick for a player.

Exactly, our team are mostly on really conservative deals, there's no reason to salary dump, and there's no reason to sell high in our superbowl window. 
Reply/Quote

I have to explain this every year... I'm not actually pushing for a trade just an off-season discussion of who would have the best trade value. My vote would be Tee Higgins. The highest value for trading Higgins is right now it will decrease as his contract comes closer to an end. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 01:31 PM)Mer Wrote: Jermaine Pratt is mine. We have a few LB's in Baily, Bachie, and ADJ that could fill that roll. Personally I'd like to keep him, but thinking about our roster he's the one that came to mind. I believe he's also the next LB up for a new contract, too.

I was a big Pratt fan during the 2019 draft but he has been average at best and linebacker value has dropped because of the Free Agency fails over the last few years. Germaine Pratt would fetch a 6th or 7th round at best...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I have to explain this every year... I'm not actually pushing for a trade just an off-season discussion of who would have the best trade value. My vote would be Tee Higgins. The highest value for trading Higgins is right now it will decrease as his contract comes closer to an end. 

Oh, OK, Joe Burrow

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, OK, Joe Burrow

As I said Joe and Ja'marr would be the highest value but losing one would closely destroy the team. Losing Higgins would hurt but not on the level of Joe or Chase.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:17 PM)Synric Wrote: As I said Joe and Ja'marr would be the highest value but losing one would closely destroy the team. Losing Higgins would hurt but not on the level of Joe or Chase.

Ok then...Sam Hubbard. We signed him to a "cheap" deal before he had his best season. I'd not be surprised if a contender would give up a high draft pick for him. 

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ok then...Sam Hubbard. We signed him to a "cheap" deal before he had his best season. I'd not be surprised if a contender would give up a high draft pick for him. 

That would have been my pick. I do have a question about that though: Does trading away players also create dead money? Because according to overthecap (and madden) it sure does, overthecap claims trading Hubbard now would create 8 million in dead money this year alone (and 2 millions if traded after June 1st) and some more dead money the following years. If that is indeed so, he's not my pick because that would make no sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:56 PM)hollodero Wrote: That would have been my pick. I do have a question about that though: Does trading away players also create dead money? Because according to overthecap (and madden) it sure does, overthecap claims trading Hubbard now would create 8 million in dead money this year alone (and 2 millions if traded after June 1st) and some more dead money the following years. If that is indeed so, he's not my pick because that would make no sense.

Not 100% sure, but I think we'd be responsible for the unpaid signing bonus. I Sam's case about $6 Mil , but we'd free up $31 Mil in Cap so net of $25 Mil. I'm sure folks on here know more about it.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ok then...Sam Hubbard. We signed him to a "cheap" deal before he had his best season. I'd not be surprised if a contender would give up a high draft pick for him. 

(04-05-2022, 03:56 PM)hollodero Wrote: That would have been my pick. I do have a question about that though: Does trading away players also create dead money? Because according to overthecap (and madden) it sure does, overthecap claims trading Hubbard now would create 8 million in dead money this year alone (and 2 millions if traded after June 1st) and some more dead money the following years. If that is indeed so, he's not my pick because that would make no sense.

I looked at Hubbard and though he would be one the the better guys to trade in 2023 because of his cap especially if the Bengals get someone like David Ojabo at #31 this year.

Reply/Quote

that would be due to prorating his signing bonus over a few years or something to that effect.   IE they paid him up front but its on the books over 2-3 years.   But any roster bonuses due and salary not already paid would go to the new team with the trade.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 05:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that would be due to prorating his signing bonus over a few years or something to that effect.   IE they paid him up front but its on the books over 2-3 years.   But any roster bonuses due and salary not already paid would go to the new team with the trade.

Yeah that's what I figured, including the bonus that spreads over the contract length and creates dead money in case of this player being cut. I used to believe that trading a player would create no additional dead money from (possibly guaranteeed) salary aside from the signing bonus. But then again, overthecap claims trading Hubbard would create a similar amount of dead money then cutting him, and so does madden 21 (ok a computer game with limited contract options, but still), and it further claims this dead money would be quite astronomical not only this year, but beyond (also aligning with how madden deals with trades). That's why I'm unsure.

overthecap
Reply/Quote
I mean, if someone wants Samaje Perine, why should anyone try to stop them? I would hope he's on the block, but whatever....no sour apples here.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 03:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I was a big Pratt fan during the 2019 draft but he has been average at best and linebacker value has dropped because of the Free Agency fails over the last few years. Germaine Pratt would fetch a 6th or 7th round at best...

Pratt was superb in the Super Bowl (he & L. Wilson were our highest rated guys). Good in the POs. No way we trade him. 
Reply/Quote