Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your Surprise Trade Candidate?
(02-23-2021, 05:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Gio Benard...

No trade value with that salary.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 08:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No trade value with that salary.

He still at least played well lately. Once again though, I don't think we have anyone that we can trade and it would help us out.

We are in a tough spot. Have to keep our good young players and hope we can coach up our bad players.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 04:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not saying Bates would command the trade compensation that Jamal Adams did last year, but I don't think they'd be miles apart either.

The Jets sent: Jamal Adams and a 4th round pick.

The Jets receieved: 1st round pick 2021, 1st round pick 2022, 3rd round pick 2021, and Seattle's starting safety Bradley McDougal

For Bates, I'd want at minimum: A 1st and a legitmately good player we can plug in and start somewhere, or a 1st and a 3rd.  

Fwiw, Jamal Adams was in a very similar situation as Bates currently is.  Going into 4th year, still on a rookie contract.  No long term deal on place.  In fact, Seattle still hasn't signed him to an extension.  He's playing on a 5th year optiion and is due to become a FA in 2022 if something doesn't get done.

Note: I don't want to trade Bates, but I'm just trying to paint a picture of what I think his market may look like.

Nice breakdown. I think the Bengals absolutely need elite talent and am not advocating a Bates trade. But, in the spirit of the thread, came up w my outside the box guy.

Hopefully Bates can keep it consistant and get paid in Cincy!
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 09:05 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Nice breakdown. I think the Bengals absolutely need elite talent and am not advocating a Bates trade. But, in the spirit of the thread, came up w my outside the box guy.

Hopefully Bates can keep it consistant and get paid in Cincy!

That is what I am hoping. Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 08:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No trade value with that salary.

true but a trade to a team that extends his contract to reduce the yearly salary could be in the cards.   Hes definately worth a roster spot for what he can do.

I wouldnt expect much in return but this is about surprise trades.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It did put us in a tough position when Waynes went down for the year after we agreed to pay him that much. I like your idea, extend
Lawson, put the tag on WJ3 and if Waynes doesn't play well or gets injured again you cut him and pay WJ3.

Would rather be drafting CB high next year rather than this year out of necessity. We need to take Sewell if he is there this year.

The bummer is that between the dollars on those two deals (WJIII and Lawson), if it played out that way would likely prohibit a bigger name signing in FA from outside the organization.  I really want those two players back, but I am also hoping for a FA G or OT to open up the draft. 

While I agree on Sewell, I think it is very realistic that he is gone.  In that case, I am hoping (not much of a strategy) they have already signed a RT from the FA market and can draft Chase.  

FWIW, even if they sign a FA OT and they have Jonah, I would still probably take Sewell if he was there and put Jonah at LG.  Word has it Sabin said Williams can play any position on the line.  

I think the most realistic scenario, however, is they draft Chase.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can we trade Ross for a single plate of crow? I recall that being his relative value over the years here.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Can we trade Ross for a single plate of crow?  I recall that being his relative value over the years here.

He is still a rookie you know 

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 11:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He is still a rookie you know 

Ninja

And im still a child at heart when I creep around the local playground, your honor. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 04:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The bummer is that between the dollars on those two deals (WJIII and Lawson), if it played out that way would likely prohibit a bigger name signing in FA from outside the organization.  I really want those two players back, but I am also hoping for a FA G or OT to open up the draft. 

While I agree on Sewell, I think it is very realistic that he is gone.  In that case, I am hoping (not much of a strategy) they have already signed a RT from the FA market and can draft Chase.  

FWIW, even if they sign a FA OT and they have Jonah, I would still probably take Sewell if he was there and put Jonah at LG.  Word has it Sabin said Williams can play any position on the line.  

We can still afford a Guard like Thuney/Warford or a RT like Daryl Williams/Wagner even after we paid Lawson and tagged WJ3 
I am pretty sure. But it would probably only be one of them and a pass rusher. All for taking Sewell no matter what as you say 
and moving Jonah to Guard.

Sewell, Pitts, Chase in that order is the way I am picking depending on if we get a Guard or a Tackle in FA. If we get a Guard I
would also be looking at the other OT's. Darrisaw, Slater, Eichenberg are all good too and we could trade back and get one of
them while adding a pick.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 04:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The bummer is that between the dollars on those two deals (WJIII and Lawson), if it played out that way would likely prohibit a bigger name signing in FA from outside the organization.  I really want those two players back, but I am also hoping for a FA G or OT to open up the draft. 

with the depth of this draft picking up extra picks on day 2 might be the best strategy.
What positions are thin in this draft class?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 05:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: with the depth of this draft picking up extra picks on day 2 might be the best strategy.
What positions are thin in this draft class?

DT is paper thin.  And that is a need.  Edge rusher, too, which is too bad as that also is a need.

The positions of solid talent that have pretty good depth appear to be QB, WR, TE, OT, G, and CB.  Oddly, mostly offense, and that seems to be where the Bengals are most lacking.  I still blame a lot of the defensive issues to injuries and inept offense at times without Joe.

Trading back always sounds like a great idea, but there are several things to remember:

1.) There are no guarantees that anyone offers much of anything to us for #5.  Especially in this cap-strapped year, draft picks are gold.  

2.) The Bengals with Joe Burrow at the helm won't likely be picking at the top of the draft again.  Call me an optimist, but before Burrow went down, I thought the team was going to roll the second half and get to as many as 7 wins.  Getting a transcendent talent like Chase might not present itself again for some time.  

3.) It is more than just a good story, drafting Chase for Burrow, as former LSU teammates.  They knew each other and look no further than how Brady knew Gronk to see how that can pay off.
Reply/Quote