32 43.84%
Other
0%
0 0%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who is your biggest surprise player? (re-do)
(10-19-2021, 12:15 AM)Synric Wrote: If you use those standards you have to say the same about Chidobe Awuzie who was good his first 2 seasons before having a injury riddled poor 2020 and Trey Hendrickson who was one of the sack leaders in 2020.

I have no problem saying that, because I was a big fan of both signings and defended them in March. LOL

I'm not saying this to brag or be obnoxious, you just kinda painted me into a corner there.

Btw to be clear, I'm not saying I'm not surprised at all by Awuzie or Spain. Just saying they've played well in the past, so there was potential.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's definitely Logan for me. Our track record of mid round LBs is average to below average. I figured he'd just be another guy who moves on after his rookie deal. Now he looks like a key foundation piece for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I am really enjoying reading this thread.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Now I'm going to go have a chicken pot pie.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
I voted Mixon. My cynically inspired Bengals-fandom thought he was entering the territory of overpaid, oft injured RB who would never see good productivity again. Thus, I'm surprised he's performing well but super glad he's having success.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted for Chase. Took a year off from football.
Steps on the field game 1 and all he has done
Is put up receiving numbers that are
In the conversation of a HoFer and legend
Chase is a legit game changer.
The most dangerous player on the offense.
He is so.good he could make Brandon Allen look
Like a All Pro
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 11:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not knocking your pick, but Spain did show potential in the past, posting a stellar 84.2 grade in 2016 and a decent 66.9 grade in 2017. He didn't really fall apart til 2019-20.

So I saw potential there, especially with Pollack. I still respect the pick though, because he wasn't good the last couple years and there wasn't much demand for his services. Another great pickup by the Bengals.

(10-19-2021, 12:03 AM)Synric Wrote: Quinton Spain played 1 full year in Buffalo in their man gap offense and struggled. He played solid in Tennessee in their zone scheme prior to that.

He had one year at close to the level hes playing now and that was very early in his career.

Yeah, I'm with Shake; I've known Spain has had success in this league, so for him to play up to that level he once reached, isn't surprising to me.

Have always liked the guy, his story, background (how many WVU lineman make it in this league? UDFAs at that?) and the fact that he's a quiet guy, but doesn't play like that on the field at all (AJ, Geno). Not saying he's up to those guys' level, but the same demeanor.

Also, seeing him take one for the team and start at RT last year, which he's never done, shows he's a team-first guy and will do hat he can for the greater good.

Hope he can stick around for another 3-5 years/until he declines (IF he declines).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 04:10 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The only one on this list that I would truly call a surprise is BJ Hill, so I voted there. The closest second would be Spain. The rest are either on course with general career trends or are young players who already flashed something last year or earlier. I had no clue who Hill was when they made that trade, so I cannot claim I expected anything whatsoever.

I voted Hill as well because I seen him play for Giants and wasn’t impressed but maybe because they had him playing out of position in their 3/4 defense. I knew Spain would be good because he from my hometown Petersburg VA 804 lol
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 01:14 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's definitely Logan for me. Our track record of mid round LBs is average to below average. I figured he'd just be another guy who moves on after his rookie deal. Now he looks like a key foundation piece for us.

Sure have been picking Linebackers well since Taylor and Lou got here. Couldn't really say that before with Marv as a matter a fact
as you say our track record was average to below average. I would say pretty damn terrible under Marv. ADG also looks like a stud
this year and has an extremely high ceiling. I like Bailey too.
Reply/Quote
So far, only Jonah Williams and DJ Reader have 0 votes.

Can't say I'm surprised with Jonah getting 0, because the only surprising thing about him is that he's healthy.

But DJ Reader has (maybe?) the best PFF grade on the team or close to it, and he did have a rough year with injury and performance last year. I know he was a great run stopper for the Texans, but it's great to see him rebound and play at such a high level.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I went with Awuzie. Neither he nor Dallas were very good last year. He's been CB#1 worthy.

Silver: Wilson.
Bronze: Spain
Homorable Mention: BJ Hill.

Mixon led the AFC in rushing one year, we didn't give him $12 mil per for no reason.

Reader was stud before getting hurt last year. Like Mixon, he is healthy again.

I was team Sewell, but not because I didn't think Chase was gonna be good. Now, THIS good? No. Especially not after that pre-season.

Williams is a top ten pick, he should be decent when healthy. He has been better than decent.

Hendrickson has been better than I expected, but is making $20 million.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 04:12 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Well, I could call Chase a legitimate surprise too. I expected him to be good and thought he was the best receiver in the draft.

I didn't expect Randy Moss.

Randy had Cris Carter a possession WR with great hands. That is why we need Tyler Boyd to get his touches possession receivers complement deep threats very well both attack different parts of the field as well. Not trying to say Chase can not help on 3rd downs he has pretty good hands. But a throw 10 yards downfield over the middle is a easier catch to make then deeper throws.
Reply/Quote
Chido! The dude has been a shut down CB so far and I didn’t expect that at all.

Most of the players on the list, I at least expected to be good. Biggest surprises are probably Awuzie, Spain, and Hill, but of those, Awuzie has been the best, IMO.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I had to go Chase. Several there worthy, Logan, Chido and Spain especially but Chase coming out as a rookie after a year off! Wow
Reply/Quote
Can't really say that anyone is a surprise so far. Pretty much as expected.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 08:51 PM)Mobster Wrote: Can't really say that anyone is a surprise so far. Pretty much as expected.

You expected Chido to look like a top 5 shutdown CB? Or Spain to outplay Joe Thuney? Or Logan Wilson to look like Luke Kuechly 2.0?

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 08:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You expected Chido to look like a top 5 shutdown CB? Or Spain to outplay Joe Thuney? Or Logan Wilson to look like Luke Kuechly 2.0?

I know right?

Hilarious
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote