Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your dark horse to make the roster and why?
My dark horse is Andy Dalton. Ninja

Oh noes!!!1!!

I said Dalton!!!11!!!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Terrel Watson. Small schooler, but his skills translate well to 3rd RB. Peerman, Burkhead, and Wilder are nothing special. Eventually someone will come along and provide sufficient ST value to make Cedric expendable. Burkhead is a low upside guy, and Wilder gets outrun by glaciers.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I'm going with WR Jake Kumerow.
How can you not like a guy that's as fast and big as him? 6 '8" runs a 4.5 40. Has very good hands, just needs to learn to run the routes properly and stop rounding them off. Needs to work on run blocking as well. but that's not so bad when we will use him as a red zone target until he gets the finer points worked out.

Edit: I am a fan of Watson, but he might be PS material for this year, we still have good depth at the RB position and we brought Peerman back too. Wilder and Watson will be battling for that last RB spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
LB Nico Johnson....very talented player at Alabama. Has not been 100% healthy in the off season since his college days.

WR Tevin Reese...Put up insane numbers at Baylor and at the combine, but was just too small (165) to play WR in the NFL. If he has bulked up some and retained his speed he could make our roster.

Honestly I doubt either one makes the roster, but that is why they are called "darkhorses"
Reply/Quote
Can I vote for "all of the above"?

If I had to pick, I'd say Pryor. He has 2 things that Mike Brown will like (3rd round pick + OSU alum), 2 things Hue will like (experience in his system + speed) and something Zampese will like (raw talent). So I think he makes the roster.

I also like Sean Porter as a dark horse at LB. Of course I felt that way about him last year too.

Not really a fan of the kicker who hit 69.6% of his kicks in his college career. Anything below 80% sucks. Shoot, Nuge hit 78% in an awful season. So I'm not sure why everyone is so high on Obarski. A strong leg is useless if he can't hit the broad side of a barn.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: LB Nico Johnson....very talented player at Alabama.  Has not been 100% healthy in the off season since his college days.

WR Tevin Reese...Put up insane numbers at Baylor and at the combine, but was just too small (165) to play WR in the NFL.  If he has bulked up some and retained his speed he could make our roster.

Honestly I doubt either one makes the roster, but that is why they are called "darkhorses"

I like Nico as well.

What I like most is it's going to be some tough decisions as to whom to cut, and even better some of our guys are going to get picked up by other teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 04:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Then I change my vote to Peters! Who the hell is Lengel?

the other 6'8" TE we signed lol

Although Peters was a Wr making the switch to TE
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 10:29 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm going with WR Jake Kumerow.
How can you not like a guy that's as fast and big as him? 6 '8" runs a 4.5 40. Has very good hands, just needs to learn to run the routes properly and stop rounding them off. Needs to work on run blocking as well. but that's not so bad when we will use him as a red zone target until he gets the finer points worked out.

Edit: I am a fan of Watson, but he might be PS material for this year, we still have good depth at the RB position and we brought Peerman back too. Wilder and Watson will be battling for that last RB spot.

Where do you get Jake Kumerow is 6'8"???

hes 6'5"
http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/Jake-Kumerow/6d383fc4-1f33-4b9e-ada9-843752fa30cd

John Peters WR converting to TE is 6"8"
Matt Lengel TE is 6'8"
Reply/Quote
He might not be considered a dark-horse to some since he was drafted, but I hope Mario makes the team as a 4th receiver and our kickoff/punt returner. Reports from The Enquirer said he was lost during rookie mini camp and the NFL playbook size has overwhelmed him. That worries me that he still has a lot to prove to make the 53 man roster. And I don't think he would last long on the practice squad if he gets put there. But with all that speed and potential, I hope he works hard this summer and training camp to get a grasp of being an NFL WR/returner and breaks into the roster. We know what we have in Tate, Pacman is a 9th year vet who we can't afford to overuse since he will be playing a lot (if not all) the snaps at CB, and it seems the sky is the limit for Alford.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 10:29 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm going with WR Jake Kumerow.

Wow, I don't know too much about this Kumerow guy but I believe he will make it as well. He would be a match up nightmare!
Reply/Quote
Tough call, but I'll go with Pryor. I imagine he'll show enough that the coaches decide to carry a 3rd QB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 12:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Can I vote for "all of the above"?

If I had to pick, I'd say Pryor. He has 2 things that Mike Brown will like (3rd round pick + OSU alum), 2 things Hue will like (experience in his system + speed) and something Zampese will like (raw talent). So I think he makes the roster.

I also like Sean Porter as a dark horse at LB. Of course I felt that way about him last year too.

Not really a fan of the kicker who hit 69.6% of his kicks in his college career. Anything below 80% sucks. Shoot, Nuge hit 78% in an awful season. So I'm not sure why everyone is so high on Obarski. A strong leg is useless if he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Pryor does have a serious shot, especially if McCarron falls on his face. I like AJ, but they haven't invested much in him. Porter is possible, has to be healthy of coarse. The thing he has going for them is they could really use a pass rusher that can hold his own at SLB.
Reply/Quote
The former buckeye qb, I think he can atleast be a good back up. Edit since others already picked him I'll go with ghee.
Child please, kiss the baby.
Reply/Quote
Kwame Geathers. Peko has served us faithfully as NT; however, it appears he is losing what minimal value he had. We have no other big-bodied NT type. Kwame goes 335, Peko is "only" 320, and our next biggest D-lineman in Thompson at 315.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Maybe not a complete dark horse, but I'll throw my vote to James Wright.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 12:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Where do you get Jake Kumerow is 6'8"???

hes 6'5"
http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/Jake-Kumerow/6d383fc4-1f33-4b9e-ada9-843752fa30cd

John Peters WR converting to TE is 6"8"
Matt Lengel TE is 6'8"

NO idea,
Maybe I was getting him confused with all of the other 6'8" guys we got as UDFA's.

Still 6'5" is pretty tall for a WR that runs as fast as he does.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2015, 10:31 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: NO idea,
Maybe I was getting him confused with all of the other 6'8" guys we got as UDFA's.

Still 6'5" is pretty tall for a WR that runs as fast as he does.

Yeah, Kumerow could make it.
Reply/Quote
Most of the dark horses have been covered, so I'll throw in a real dark horse:

Troy Hill, CB, Oregon.

We normally take 10 DBs and if one of them is Shaw then we have sufficient cover at safety to go 6/4 in favour of the CBs. They would be: Hall, Jones, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Shaw, and...?

Chris Lewis-Harris?
Brandon Ghee?
Onterio McCalebb?
or the rookie Troy Hill?

Looks like he has a decent chance to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2015, 07:02 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Most of the dark horses have been covered, so I'll throw in a real dark horse:

Troy Hill, CB, Oregon.

We normally take 10 DBs and if one of them is Shaw then we have sufficient cover at safety to go 6/4 in favour of the CBs.  They would be: Hall, Jones, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Shaw, and...?

Chris Lewis-Harris?
Brandon Ghee?
Onterio McCalebb?
or the rookie Troy Hill?

Looks like he has a decent chance to me.

I like CLH, dude has been solid all his time here.

I don't know why anybody would mention Ghee, he is made of fine china.

I like McCalebb if he can learn to play corner better and return kicks but
Super Mario Alford and Denarius Moore really hurt his chances.

I know nothing of Troy Hill? Hence, good dark horse.
Reply/Quote
Jayson DiManche. Why?

AJ Hawk has gotten up there in age, there's no telling how well he can play next year. Sean Porter and Nico Johnson could fight for this spot, but DiManche has special team contributions.
Reply/Quote