Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your player that has low expectations that you feel may surprise?
My guy is Jordan Willis. I was big on him when he was selected, but he has done little to nothing to warrant his selection and could actually be a (somewhat) surprise cut.

I am doubling down on the guy for this reason: I think he has finally found his home at LDE. He will rotate with Dunlap. He won't be rotating inside and he won't be playing the right side with a bunch of other guys and never really finding his rhythm.

There are a ton of reasons to say why Willis won't do squat again this year, but I just have a feeling that he may surprise. He is my choice.

Honorable mentions go to Clayton Fedejelem (who I still think could be our SS) and Christian Westerman (who always apparently sucks in practice but was our highest game-rated offensive linemen when he did get to play).

Who are yours?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart....
Malik Jefferson
Reply/Quote
I was thinking of Ross earlier before TC started, then well, he was quick to disappoint. But here's my suprise pick that may gain some flack, but I will say Dre K. He's been a total douchebag, undisciplined player for the last few years who does more flamboyant pleading and arm waving than he does focusing on coverage. Hopefully with the new accountability, he starts earning that enormous check we wrote him. Next in line would be Hart. I can't explain why really, just that the coaching may get his play up to speed and get the best out of him.

Reply/Quote
Drew Sample. Everybody hated the pick and always talks about other drafts picks like Pratt and Wren having an impact. I think Sample might surprise people an actually be a treat in the passing game along with great run blocking which is a huge part of Taylor’s system.
Reply/Quote
Jordan Evans.
for one Sunday vs the Bucs he looked like a legit LB.
this defense needs depth at coverage LB badly.
I hoping the ineptness,of Jim Haslett and Marvin Lewis was a factor in
Evans just overthinking everything.
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart.He has the size and the power If he can put it all together.I think this new coaching staff might help him get there,and he’s still young,I think around 24.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 01:08 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Drew Sample. Everybody hated the pick and always talks about other drafts picks like Pratt and Wren having an impact. I think Sample might surprise people an actually be a treat in the passing game along with great run blocking which is a huge part of Taylor’s system.

This... The guy has hands. He was underutilized at UW.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I’m giving Jordan Willis one more year. Last year’s pass rush scheme was terrible for everybody.
Reply/Quote
John Ross!
Reply/Quote
Preston Brown. He came here after leading the league in tackles. His big knock was pass coverage. He got hosed last year having the early injury and I don't think he was ever right. But he only played in 7 games and still tied his career highs in INTs with 2 and passes defended with 4. Only 26 years old, going to be 27 soon. His best football is yet to come. He is going to be a force in the middle for us.
Reply/Quote
Nick Vigil

If he can just be consistent he could be a good LB for us. He is often in the backfield or position to make a tackle for a loss but would get shrugged off by bigger players. His speed and quickness are what the team needs.
Hopefully another offseason in the weight room has him a little bit stronger to finish the tackles.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 01:11 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Jordan Evans.

I'm going to second this!

And the Saints game right after the Bucs game he looked good in both.

And I'm with ya. hoping coaching gives him the confidence he needs to be that guy we need on Game Days.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 12:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: My guy is Jordan Willis.  I was big on him when he was selected, but he has done little to nothing to warrant his selection and could actually be a (somewhat) surprise cut.  

I am doubling down on the guy for this reason:  I think he has finally found his home at LDE.  He will rotate with Dunlap.  He won't be rotating inside and he won't be playing the right side with a bunch of other guys and never really finding his rhythm.  

There are a ton of reasons to say why Willis won't do squat again this year, but I just have a feeling that he may surprise.  He is my choice.  

Honorable mentions go to Clayton Fedejelem (who I still think could be our SS) and Christian Westerman (who always apparently sucks in practice but was our highest game-rated offensive linemen when he did get to play).

Who are yours?

I also like Willis and Westerman. Willis I think will be better at LDE than RDE. Westerman (supposedly) couldn't learn RG very well so was always the LG backup and had Boling in the way. I think he fits perfectly at LG. I think between Willis and Westerman, Westerman is more likely to ascend to above average starter though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I actually disagree somewhat on needing coverage LB. Evans, Jefferson, and Pratt all had solid coverage skills coming out of college. Vigil could cover decently too. 

I think the scheme was a huge part in the deficit of the LBs. Haslett was terrible. If the defense assignments can really be simplified, I think Jefferson has a chance to really shine. He has the size, athleticism, and speed to really go after the ball carrier. But he needs to be more of a free-flowing and see-and-chase role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Drew Sample

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Michael Jordan. I think he will get an opportunity at some point this season, make the most of it, and never look back.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Christian Ringo- dude is the forgotten man on this team but be came up strong to at the end of the year last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

I'm going with Jordan Evans too. Hes got the size, lentgh, and speed you want in a linebacker will year 3 be the season he puts it all together?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 02:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Michael Jordan.  I think he will get an opportunity at some point this season, make the most of it, and never look back.

Exactly what I was going to say.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 02:07 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Nick Vigil

If he can just be consistent he could be a good LB for us. He is often in the backfield or position to make a tackle for a loss but would get shrugged off by bigger players.  His speed and quickness are what the team needs.
Hopefully another offseason in the weight room has him a little bit stronger to finish the tackles.

think he was leading the league or close to it in TFL before hurting his ankle last year.
Reply/Quote