Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your player that has low expectations that you feel may surprise?
Drew Sample. I don’t think he is even on people’s radar. He is supposed to be great in the run game but what people don’t realize is he catches everything thrown to him. He just was not targeted much because of the system he was in. I think he will be the dark horse on the offense. Lapham said he thinks the naked bootleg will be a big play and I can see Eifert or Sample on the receiving end there.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 10:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  So, who's your "low expectation guy" that will emerge as a positive force for the team this season?

Well, when you put it that way.....

Billings...   Hilarious

Okay.  I thought Billings was going to be dominant last year because of his preseason.  He did okay but did not dominate like I thought he would.  I was somewhat disappointed in him because  I thought it was going to be his break-out year, which lowered my expectations for this year.  But then again, the entire defense was disappointing.  That is why I picked Billings.  I believe it is his last year under contract and he will want to get paid.  

But if this is not accepted, I will have to go with Malone at WR.  I want to go with Ross.  I really do.  But damn, the guy is made of glass and I expect him to be disappointing this year.  I have NO expectations for Ross this year.  So if Ross is able to play 14-16 games this year and have an impact, then I would be not surprised but in shock.  Maybe I should go with Ross.... Hmm   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:07 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Drew Sample. I don’t think he is even on people’s radar. He is supposed to be great in the run game but what people don’t realize is he catches everything thrown to him. He just was not targeted much because of the system he was in. I think he will be the dark horse on the offense. Lapham said he thinks the naked bootleg will be a big play and I can see Eifert or Sample on the receiving end there.

I have high expectations for Sample.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:07 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Drew Sample. I don’t think he is even on people’s radar. He is supposed to be great in the run game but what people don’t realize is he catches everything thrown to him. He just was not targeted much because of the system he was in. I think he will be the dark horse on the offense. Lapham said he thinks the naked bootleg will be a big play and I can see Eifert or Sample on the receiving end there.

Sample might not be on many people's radar, but as soon as we drafted him, I watched as much about him as I could.  I came to the conclusion that his stats were no fault of his own.  The guy simply did everything that his team asked of him, in a powerful kind of way.  He catches most everything thrown at him, he blocks like a mobile, agile lineman down field.  He will be a major player for the Bengals this season, even if in an increasing role.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well, when you put it that way.....

Billings...   Hilarious

Okay.  I thought Billings was going to be dominant last year because of his preseason.  He did okay but did not dominate like I thought he would.  I was somewhat disappointed in him because  I thought it was going to be his break-out year, which lowered my expectations for this year.  But then again, the entire defense was disappointing.  That is why I picked Billings.  I believe it is his last year under contract and he will want to get paid.  

But if this is not accepted, I will have to go with Malone at WR.  I want to go with Ross.  I really do.  But damn, the guy is made of glass and I expect him to be disappointing this year.  I have NO expectations for Ross this year.  So if Ross is able to play 14-16 games this year and have an impact, then I would be not surprised but in shock.  Maybe I should go with Ross.... Hmm   

See, I have high expectations for Billings.  But Malone?  Now that would be a surprise.  I've been hoping that he would do something special, ever since I read Fred's talk of him.  Fred watches UT quite closely, and told us that Malone was talented, but under utilized at UT.  Fred is not the "be all end all" opinion on prospects, but I trust his judgement on teams he follows closely.  So, I think that I agree with you that Malone might be a good surprise candidate.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I have high expectations for Billings.  But Malone?  Now that would be a surprise.  I've been hoping that he would do something special, ever since I read Fred's talk of him.  Fred watches UT quite closely, and told us that Malone was talented, but under utilized at UT.  Fred is not the "be all end all" opinion on prospects, but I trust his judgement on teams he follows closely.  So, I think that I agree with you that Malone might be a good surprise candidate.

Malone will have his opportunity to shine now that Green is down.  I did not watch a lot of UT Football like Fred, but my nephew is a HUGE UT fan and said good things about Malone.  

I am also impressed with Stanley and Willis.  I am surprised neither were drafted.  I am excited to see what those three (including Malone) will do this preseason.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
My pick is the same guy I had in the bold prediction thread .... Tyler Eifert. I feel like his luck HAS GOT to change at some point, and "I gotta hunch he's due" this season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Malone will have his opportunity to shine now that Green is down.  I did not watch a lot of UT Football like Fred, but my nephew is a HUGE UT fan and said good things about Malone.  

I am also impressed with Stanley and Willis.  I am surprised neither were drafted.  I am excited to see what those three (including Malone) will do this preseason.   

Sometimes UDFAs turn into pretty good players.  Vontaze Burfict, for example.  He is a great player, just a shame that the commissioner has such a hard on for the guy...  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sometimes UDFAs turn into pretty good players.  Vontaze Burfict, for example.  He is a great player, just a shame that the commissioner has such a hard on for the guy...  

Burfict didn't do himself any favors either.  He earned the bullseye to the point where when he did clean it up, it was too late.  When he approached a tackle, officials were reaching for flags before he got there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Cedric Ogbuehi...it's time.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sample might not be on many people's radar, but as soon as we drafted him, I watched as much about him as I could.  I came to the conclusion that his stats were no fault of his own.  The guy simply did everything that his team asked of him, in a powerful kind of way.  He catches most everything thrown at him, he blocks like a mobile, agile lineman down field.  He will be a major player for the Bengals this season, even if in an increasing role.

I agree about Sample, but his biggest contribution will be to the team (offense) giving us the ability to run more 2 and 3 TE sets with a great blocking TE. This will help the OL and the formations will make the defense stay honest (vanilla) for the run or the pass play.

I am excited to see our 3 TE's. I think we may have the best threesome in the NFL now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 09:07 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree about Sample, but hos biggest contribution will be to the team (offense) giving us the ability to run more 2 and 3 TE sets with a great blocking TE. This will help the OL and the formations will make the defense stay honest (vanilla) for the run or the pass play.

I am excited to see our 3 TE's. I think we may have the best threesome in the NFL now.

I agree and we will need those formations because this team will be run 1st to setup the play action. Just hope Bobby Hart is able to provide enough time on the play action. I have no faith in that guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 09:17 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: I agree and we will need those formations because this team will be run 1st to setup the play action. Just hope Bobby Hart is able to provide enough time on the play action. I have no faith in that guy.

Hart may surprise us, but I thought he only gave up 2 sacks last year. It was his false starts and penalties that killed drives. But, if a pass protection issue, you put Sample on his side, then Sample can help him by chipping on his way out on routes.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 09:30 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hart may surprise us, but I thought he only gave up 2 sacks last year. It was his false starts and penalties that killed drives. But, if a pass protection issue, you put Sample on his side, then Sample can help him by chipping on his way out on routes.

I think Sample will have to help Hart out. Hart last year gave up 10 sacks and had 12 penalties. I think the pre snap penalties are fixable but I’m not sure about the rest for a big guy he gets manhandled a lot. Hopefully Tuner can fix some of his issues. Just having Remond not starting who was a penalty machine is a good start.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 12:11 AM)McC Wrote: Burfict didn't do himself any favors either.  He earned the bullseye to the point where when he did clean it up, it was too late.  When he approached a tackle, officials were reaching for flags before he got there.

True, but let's see if officials target him in Oakland

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 09:57 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I think Sample will have to help Hart out. Hart last year gave up 10 sacks and had 12 penalties. I think the pre snap penalties are fixable but I’m not sure about the rest for a big guy he gets manhandled a lot.  Hopefully Tuner can fix some of his issues. Just having Remond not starting who was a penalty machine is a good start.

Wow, I never thought he gave up 10 sacks, I knew he was a penalty machine though.

Reply/Quote
I have a feeling Hart will be much better. I have absolutely nothing to base this on. Just intuition.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow, I never thought he gave up 10 sacks, I knew he was a penalty machine though.

The new play action scheme will probably help him out but at some point on obvious passing situations he’ll need to make a block and win a one on one versus a good pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 10:34 AM)SladeX Wrote: I have a feeling Hart will be much better. I have absolutely nothing to base this on. Just intuition.

Agreed, but that’s because I don’t think he can get much worse. Rock bottom and all that
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 10:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True, but let's see if officials target him in Oakland

That'll be interesting to see.   Does he get a new start? 

Also interesting to see if he finds his game again because he sure lost it last year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote