Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who isn't thrown under the bus in this story?
Seems no one really wanted Klingler or Smith ... at least that bad. But, they ended up here.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/14/cincinnati-bengals-50-david-klingler-and-akili-smith/366545001/

Good stuff from the major players involved in those QBs that really set the franchise back.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Yikes. Mikey has no problems throwing Dave Shula under the bus for David Klingler.

I remember Akili was pegged to be a second rounder after the college football season that year. Coslet's comments that the coaches had him rated at the bottom of the group makes sense. I think it was clearly Mike Brown who overvalued and made that pick.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2017, 10:28 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Yikes.  Mikey has no problems throwing Dave Shula under the bus for David Klingler.

I remember Akili was pegged to be a second rounder after the college football season that year.  Coslet's comments that the coaches had him rated at the bottom of the group makes sense.  I think it was clearly Mike Brown who overvalued and made that pick.

QBs are such a guessing game in the draft it seems over the years... We overvalued Smith... Couch was overvalued.. Brady was like a 5/6 pick.. I know there is research out there that I looked at couple years ago that ranked the best position to draft in 1st round and the worst position when it comes to success rate.. I believe QB was at the bottom of the list.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We sucked then, we suck now. However, a corner is soon to be turned. Let's just hope we're not taking the road to purgatory. When Mike is no longer in the picture and neither is Marvin, we may see a rainbow.

Reply/Quote
Seems like mike deferred to Shula on the klingler pick and seemed to override Coslet on the smith choice.

I remember reading that coslet wanted to roll with blake which may be the reason mike was in desperation mode for a qb.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2017, 12:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Seems like mike deferred to Shula on the klingler pick and seemed to override Coslet on the smith choice.  

I remember reading that coslet wanted to roll with blake which may be the reason mike was in desperation mode for a qb.

That's how I see it too.  An irony really.  With the Klingler pick we already had a league MVP QB in his prime (Esiason) so the need for a QB was just not that acute.  But MB was always a sucker for big names in the game, so he went ahead and listened to Shula.  A really stupid decision that alienated the really good QB we had and we lost him a year later.

I believe the Akili Smith thing was all MB.  Given what Coslet said that would be the logical assumption.

I know that it's easier to be an arm chair general manager after the fact, but no one in the city wanted Smith at the time.  All of us wanted the New Orleans trade package.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2017, 04:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We sucked then, we suck now. However, a corner is soon to be turned. Let's just hope we're not taking the road to purgatory. When Mike is no longer in the picture and neither is Marvin, we may see a rainbow.

C'mon, Harley?  Playoffs for five of six years isn't sucking.  True, they should have won against the Chargers and steelers, but I am not going to say they suck because of those two games.

We need to get over this perception.  You know who sucks?   Cleveland, NY Jets, SF 49ers, Jax, etc.  and Rothlisburger's mom.  
Reply/Quote
Mike wanted Akili bad enough to turn down an entire draft, plus another 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder.

Mike Brown can never hand off that decision.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 03:29 PM)3wt Wrote: That's how I see it too.  An irony really.  With the Klingler pick we already had a league MVP QB in his prime (Esiason) so the need for a QB was just not that acute.  But MB was always a sucker for big names in the game, so he went ahead and listened to Shula.  A really stupid decision that alienated the really good QB we had and we lost him a year later.

I believe the Akili Smith thing was all MB.  Given what Coslet said that would be the logical assumption.

I know that it's easier to be an arm chair general manager after the fact, but no one in the city wanted Smith at the time.  All of us wanted the New Orleans trade package.

Boomer was leaving when he canned Sammy and rolled with Shula.  Klingler was their future plan after Boomer agreed to stay one more season.

I didn't want Klingler or Smith.....two very embarrassing moments in Bengals history.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Boomer was leaving when he canned Sammy and rolled with Shula.  Klingler was their future plan after Boomer agreed to stay one more season.

I didn't want Klingler or Smith.....two very embarrassing moments in Bengals history.

Not to mention canning Sam to begin with.  Stupid stupid stupid.  He took us to a Superbowl and probably would have won if  Billups hadn't dropped the darn interception.

Not sure what was said up there, but that was a really bone headed move.
Reply/Quote