Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who knows Chicago?
(09-22-2021, 08:06 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Don't want this to venture down the P&R path, but I hate wind farms.  Even the Department of Energy has cited them as potential "aesthetic pollution", which I find to be the case in many places with them.  Also knowing some people working in the energy field, despite their relatively low cost, they are under nearly constant repair so a lot of efficiency is lost.  I don't know the accuracy of that statement, but considering how much space they take up, the way they're visible for mile after mile and their impact on the local ecosystem as well, I just don't like them, and think we can come up with better ways to keep the lights on.

1.  They don't take up any space.  These were in the middle of fields with crops growing under them.

2.  Their "aesthetic pollution" is just a matter of taste and completely meaningless.  They are not in scenic areas.  Not everyone dislikes the way they look.  They can't be seen as far away as smoke and steam clouds from fossil fuel power plants.  I have never heard anyone say they are against nuclear power because they don't like they way cooling towers look or they are against oil because they don't like the appearance of drilling derricks.
Reply/Quote
I used to know a crazy barmaid from Chicago. She pronounced it Shi-ca-gah!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote