Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who makes the single greatest impact on this year's team?
It can be an offensive player, defensive player, special teamer, or coach.

If there is one person you would rate as the biggest improvement who you believe will have the greatest overall impact on the 2018-19 Bengals, which player or coach would that be and why?

I am going to go with Billy Price. Yes, he is unproven. A center? Really, X? Yes. Here's why: When I would isolate everyone on when plays broke down, time and time again I came back to the same issue: the center in my QB's lap. No pocket. No place to step in to and no clear throwing lanes. I hate to just pile on Bodine, as maybe some of his issues were the scheme run by Alexander, but he was just flat out terrible in pass-blocking situations. His run-blocking was ok, but he would whiff from time to time and lead to a huge loss on a play.

Billy Price is meant to be a center. His bowling ball (not just because he is bald) body with massive legs and core strength are an ideal fit for the position. Plus, he has what I like to call a serious case of the red-ass. Not the post-Skyline where you went overboard on the hot sauce, but that hostile in the field of battle, tough as nails, leader that we have lacked since Whit.

I am confident he will be 100% healthy, and will probably have a bit of a chip on his shoulder not being the first center taken. (Whatever it takes, right? I mean, I can see him thinking: Ragnow? Did they ever win any games?) Regardless of where his motivation comes from, I love this kid. He is exactly what we needed and I can't wait to see him.

I might be the only one that selects a center, a rookie at that, as the greatest impact on the entire team in 2018-19, but that is my selection.

Honorable mentions to Jordan Willis, Bill Lazor, Gio Bernard (I just have a feeling this is his year), and WJIII.

That is mine, what is yours?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
AJ Green. I think we’re all looking for a big season out of him after a slightly down year in 2017.

Mixon and Ross are still total question marks at this point (especially the latter), LaFell and Boyd are what they are, and Eifert will likely play only a handful of games. Until someone else steps up all other teams have to do is stop Green and they have a good chance at beating us.

Not worried about the defense. They should be pretty decent.

Reply/Quote
Price or Bill lazor are my picks.
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack.

If he can fix the line and at least make it serviceable, this team could go far.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Bill Lazor is the biggest one. He took over a team that had failed to score a TD, fought with the mainstays on the staff, and actually made a bad offense look good as the season wore on. He now had his own staff and installing his own offense.

If I have to pick a player it would be Cordy Glenn. Offensive tackle was a major issue last season and Glenn is a high caliber player.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm going with Ross. Will he lead the NFL in any stats, no, but AJ might just because of the fact Ross is on the field. Which will also open up the the running game for Mixon and Gio.
Reply/Quote
Too many new players in the right spots now and new coaches. It'll be hard to just pinpoint one.
I'll go with Dalton. He's going to have an All Pro record breaking year, with all his toys healthy and improved protection, no reason why he shouldn't have a great year.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It can be an offensive player, defensive player, special teamer, or coach.

If there is one person you would rate as the biggest improvement who you believe will have the greatest overall impact on the 2018-19 Bengals, which player or coach would that be and why?

I am going to go with Billy Price.  Yes, he is unproven.  A center?  Really, X?  Yes.  Here's why:  When I would isolate everyone on when plays broke down, time and time again I came back to the same issue:  the center in my QB's lap.  No pocket.  No place to step in to and no clear throwing lanes.  I hate to just pile on Bodine, as maybe some of his issues were the scheme run by Alexander, but he was just flat out terrible in pass-blocking situations.  His run-blocking was ok, but he would whiff from time to time and lead to a huge loss on a play.

Billy Price is meant to be a center.  His bowling ball (not just because he is bald) body with massive legs and core strength are an ideal fit for the position.  Plus, he has what I like to call a serious case of the red-ass.  Not the post-Skyline where you went overboard on the hot sauce, but that hostile in the field of battle, tough as nails, leader that we have lacked since Whit.  

I am confident he will be 100% healthy, and will probably have a bit of a chip on his shoulder not being the first center taken.  (Whatever it takes, right?  I mean, I can see him thinking:  Ragnow?  Did they ever win any games?)  Regardless of where his motivation comes from, I love this kid.  He is exactly what we needed and I can't wait to see him.

I might be the only one that selects a center, a rookie at that, as the greatest impact on the entire team in 2018-19, but that is my selection.

Honorable mentions to Jordan Willis, Bill Lazor, Gio Bernard (I just have a feeling this is his year), and WJIII.  

If we were going players only, Billy Price would be my choice, too. However, you said anyone and so I have to go with Pollack. Our biggest issues could be traced to the offensive line. Defense gassed? Offense probably stalled out too many times. Offense stalling out too many times due to offensive line issues (i.e. no running lanes for RB and giving up pressure on the QB, etc.).

Pollack is the key to fixing it. Yes, Glenn and Price are tremendous upgrades and having Hart or even a properly coached Fisher in at RT could also be an upgrade, it's still up to Pollack to make sure the line is clicking on all cylinders. I think he'll be more than up to the task and we're going to see a much improved OL which will lead to a better, more consistent offense which will only help the defense and we should be right back in the playoff hunt praying that we'll actually get a playoff win THIS time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am going with a healthy Glenn at LT. Billy Price a close second. Removing Paul Alexander from the Bengals third.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Lots of good arguments on here for different people, but just to mix it up, I'm going to go with Alex Van Pelt, the new QBs coach.

I hope Van Pelt can take Andy Dalton to a "next level." I know Lazor's new playbook, our new Online coach and his new players will all play a role in this, but Van Pelt helped create the freak that is Aaron Rodgers. If Dalton can ramp up his game a notch or two by
  • not staring down AJ Green every play
  • doing a better job of using his eyes to move pass defenders
  • throwing better on the run and under pressure

I think he could make the Pro-Bowl and maybe return to his 2015 form when he was on the way to becoming an MVP candidate.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 10:48 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Frank Pollack.

If he can fix the line and at least make it serviceable, this team could go far.

This.....if for nothing else, we no longer have an oline coach meddling with the run game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

This is where I am, as well.

(06-15-2018, 03:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.....if for nothing else, we no longer have an oline coach meddling with the run game.

Agreed, a position coach shouldn't be dictating any schematics.  He should be coaching/teaching fundamentals and techniques to properly execute the plays/game plan presented to him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is where I am, as well.

Agreed, a position coach shouldn't be dictating any schematics.  He should be coaching/teaching fundamentals and techniques to properly execute the plays/game plan presented to him.

Absolutely.  I just got finished reading an article about Ogbuehi that, of course, heavily featured Pollack on the Bengals site.  It appears even Og has benefited immensely from Pollack's tutelage and blocking schemes.  This isn't just from the OTAs that I made a thread about either....this was during minicamp.  Interesting read.  I really feel like Frank Pollack is going to have the biggest impact on any success this team may have.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely.  I just got finished reading an article about Ogbuehi that, of course, heavily featured Pollack on the Bengals site.  It appears even Og has benefited immensely from Pollack's tutelage and blocking schemes.  This isn't just from the OTAs that I made a thread about either....this was during minicamp.  Interesting read.  I really feel like Frank Pollack is going to have the biggest impact on any success this team may have.

This article?

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ced-gets-another-say/16334a2b-7acb-4962-9c1b-7f6b27afd0cd

Coach Pollack seems willing to give him a fair shot, and also seems encouraged by what Ogbuehi has demonstrated.  Ced seems enthusiastic about getting taught to be aggressive, and use his hands.  I wonder why PA never tried that??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack. He will have a big impact on the entire Oline. Which will help improve the QB WR RB and TE. If we can get more consistent moving the ball it can give our pass rushers and DB time to rest up.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This article?

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ced-gets-another-say/16334a2b-7acb-4962-9c1b-7f6b27afd0cd

Coach Pollack seems willing to give him a fair shot, and also seems encouraged by what Ogbuehi has demonstrated.  Ced seems enthusiastic about getting taught to be aggressive, and use his hands.  I wonder why PA never tried that??

Yep, that's the one.

Ego and stubbornness?  I dunno, but I like how that article preaches getting on the defender quickly and aggressively....mentioned punching as well.

Reply/Quote
Coaching in general.  Pollack in particular, for all the reasons noted above.   I LOVE the Ogquehi article.  

The guy appears to have brought a full scale culture change.   And I love the way he welcomes former Bengals O-linemen.

This guy gives me a lot of hope.
Reply/Quote
Billy Price. Both in effectiveness with his execution, but also bringing his attitude and optimism to our offensive unit.

Looking at the offensive line as a unit, I feel some solid hope about improvement, and possibly great improvement, as long as we get something good happening at RG and RT. I have hopes for Westerman and Fisher.

Last year at this time I was certain we would just continue to fumble, stumble and fall with our O-line. Not that you had to be a great analyst to see that coming. I think we all knew it.

Everyone seems to feel very positive about John Ross so far this year, and the line improving will help us utilize him, also. So I'm trying to be optimistic. Pessimism is just no fun for me.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It can be an offensive player, defensive player, special teamer, or coach.

I am going to go with Billy Price.  Yes, he is unproven.  A center?  Really, X?  Yes.  Here's why:  When I would isolate everyone on when plays broke down, time and time again I came back to the same issue:  the center in my QB's lap.  No pocket.  No place to step in to and no clear throwing lanes.  I hate to just pile on Bodine, as maybe some of his issues were the scheme run by Alexander, but he was just flat out terrible in pass-blocking situations.  His run-blocking was ok, but he would whiff from time to time and lead to a huge loss on a play.

Billy Price is meant to be a center.  His bowling ball (not just because he is bald) body with massive legs and core strength are an ideal fit for the position.  Plus, he has what I like to call a serious case of the red-ass.  Not the post-Skyline where you went overboard on the hot sauce, but that hostile in the field of battle, tough as nails, leader that we have lacked since Whit.  

I am confident he will be 100% healthy, and will probably have a bit of a chip on his shoulder not being the first center taken.  (Whatever it takes, right?  I mean, I can see him thinking:  Ragnow?  Did they ever win any games?)  Regardless of where his motivation comes from, I love this kid.  He is exactly what we needed and I can't wait to see him.

If i go overall i say Frank Pollack, this guy still needs to coach Price up and i think he will do it. It also doesn't matter
how good of a playcaller Lazor is if the Line blowz. So Pollack as the coach and then Price as the player on Offense.

Honorable mention Cordy Glenn of course on Offense.

On Defense i think Dunlap will go crazy this year with all the motivation and being in the best shape of his life and
Lawson pushing him saying he will end up being the all time sack leader here. Love Lawson's confidence and the fact
we are getting the competition between our pass rushers going on like this.

Lawson says he expects to end up with 120 sacks atleast in the NFL if he can stay healthy.

Of the rookies on Defense i think both Hubbard and Bates could make pretty big impacts.
Reply/Quote

Right with ya. Our record is surprisingly decent given how bad the Oline play was last year. 

The offense knows how to play without Eifert and hopefully some of the year 2 guys can make that leap. 
Reply/Quote