Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who makes the single greatest impact on this year's team?
Since the obvious answer is Oline, I will go anther way  and go with William Jackson III. He was one of the best shut down CBs in the league last year, and word from camp is that he has gotten even better. I think WJIII becomes a household name outside of Cincy and cements his leadership by example in the Bengals secondary.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2018, 12:28 PM)UKWhoDey Wrote: I'll say John Ross.   Getting solid WR production out of him obviously opens up AJ and makes Andy's job even easier.  Obviously we need the OL to give Andy the time to make throws.  I expect Mixon to continue on an upwards trajectory and Eifert to stay healthy (ok...I HOPE he does) but having a legit threat across from AJ will really open up this offense.

ross was know for being injury prone in college and not a very good route runner..but magically hes gonna change now that hes in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 02:26 PM)cooper Wrote: ross was know for being injury prone in college and not a very good route runner..but magically hes gonna change now that hes in the NFL?

Ross was a good route runner in college but didn't have a huge route tree because of the system he came out of like most receivers drafted. It's a more and more common problem with college to NFL transition for a lot of positions.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 02:26 PM)cooper Wrote: ross was know for being injury prone in college and not a very good route runner..but magically hes gonna change now that hes in the NFL?

What is with your hate for Ross?  How many other players do you hate?   Whatever
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon and Andy Dalton are going to be what drives this team. Mixon will run wild IMO with the improved OL and OL coach/scheme. Dalton will finally have a pocket he can step up into (something that he has never had). I think with the weapons we have this year we can do something (as long as most of them stay healthy). I very much think this is going to be a run first offense that opens up the deep ball with Green and Ross.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 11:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm going with Ross. Will he lead the NFL in any stats, no, but AJ might just because of the fact Ross is on the field. Which will also open up the the running game for Mixon and Gio.

Yes, and it's not close.  The specific question asked who would bring the "biggest improvement" .   I can't see how players who have been here like AJ  Green can offer much more than they already bring.    Mixon will need to improve but he was already here and we saw wisps of that at the end of the year.   Ross is the key to making this offence next level.   If you want Green to improve it will be because of Ross being on the field.   He is a threat to score virtually every touch of the ball and teams can't shade to AJ's side every.single.play.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton

It all comes together this season, finally.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:56 PM)yang Wrote: Yes, and it's not close.  The specific question asked who would bring the "biggest improvement" .   I can't see how players who have been here like AJ  Green can offer much more than they already bring.    Mixon will need to improve but he was already here and we saw wisps of that at the end of the year.   Ross is the key to making this offence next level.   If you want Green to improve it will be because of Ross being on the field.   He is a threat to score virtually every touch of the ball and teams can't shade to AJ's side every.single.play.

Green can have the biggest impact because he had a down year last season. If he bounces back and plays to the level he usually does it could be the difference between 7 wins and say 9-10 wins. Other factors like Ross, Mixon, and a better Oline can certainly help him have a big year, but if I’m picking a single player it’s Green. Him and Geno are the best players on the team, and a an elite WR will usually have a bigger impact than a DT. Or maybe I’m associating biggest impact too much with MVP.

Reply/Quote
Dalton and Burfict......... as usual...
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Willow-no-longer-just-in-the-wind/c1514b28-b36b-43f0-b41b-81aaa80176d3

Nice article about WJ. He can definitely be a shut down guy.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 07:50 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Willow-no-longer-just-in-the-wind/c1514b28-b36b-43f0-b41b-81aaa80176d3

Nice article about WJ. He can definitely be a shut down guy.

Love his nickname lol

[Image: 8f2c54c37dbe1b6e1e95317baa82899e.gif]

Reply/Quote
I believe undoubtedly it is a duo of the new left tackle and center (Glenn and Price). To have improvement in pass blocking and running game will improve most of the other players on the offensive squad.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:59 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: More and more and more slobbering over Pollack. It’s hard to find a thread that someone isn’t in love with the guy. Honestly, how can he fail? The line will automatically be better just from the better players that they’ve added. Outside of a couple of injuries, there’s no chance that the line won’t get better regardless of who the coach is. With the amount of praise this guy gets on a daily basis, this should easily be a top 5 line.

You realize his predecessor single handedly tanked two consecutive seasons and has been a boat anchor for the run game for the better part of a decade, right?  Of course the new guy is going to get praise when that's the case.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It can be an offensive player, defensive player, special teamer, or coach.

If there is one person you would rate as the biggest improvement who you believe will have the greatest overall impact on the 2018-19 Bengals, which player or coach would that be and why?

I am going to go with Billy Price.  Yes, he is unproven.  A center?  Really, X?  Yes.  Here's why:  When I would isolate everyone on when plays broke down, time and time again I came back to the same issue:  the center in my QB's lap.  No pocket.  No place to step in to and no clear throwing lanes.  I hate to just pile on Bodine, as maybe some of his issues were the scheme run by Alexander, but he was just flat out terrible in pass-blocking situations.  His run-blocking was ok, but he would whiff from time to time and lead to a huge loss on a play.

Billy Price is meant to be a center.  His bowling ball (not just because he is bald) body with massive legs and core strength are an ideal fit for the position.  Plus, he has what I like to call a serious case of the red-ass.  Not the post-Skyline where you went overboard on the hot sauce, but that hostile in the field of battle, tough as nails, leader that we have lacked since Whit.  

I am confident he will be 100% healthy, and will probably have a bit of a chip on his shoulder not being the first center taken.  (Whatever it takes, right?  I mean, I can see him thinking:  Ragnow?  Did they ever win any games?)  Regardless of where his motivation comes from, I love this kid.  He is exactly what we needed and I can't wait to see him.

I might be the only one that selects a center, a rookie at that, as the greatest impact on the entire team in 2018-19, but that is my selection.

Honorable mentions to Jordan Willis, Bill Lazor, Gio Bernard (I just have a feeling this is his year), and WJIII.  

That is mine, what is yours?

I say Pollack.

I almost said WJIII, who I think will help win a game against Pittsburgh this year.

Reply/Quote
I'm going with WJIII. With Pacman finally gone, this guy gets a chance to finally step up and show everyone he is a lock down corner and a guy that we can put on an island like they did in college and let him shut down one side of the field.

If he is capable of doing that, we will be able to hide the deficiencies that we have with our starting safeties (Williams and Illoka) until Bates is ready to start. Having two in the box safeties, like we have had since Nelson left, has left us with so many big plays that have been given up by a cornerback just getting beat deep and not having a safety that can get to the sideline to help. Now Jackson can't cover everyone on the field, but we should be able to shade the other corners and side of the field away from WJIII. So he should be able to help out not only the other secondary, but the linebackers that can use extra help on tight ends that have killed us over the middle for 4 years now.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 09:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: You realize his predecessor single handedly tanked two consecutive seasons and has been a boat anchor for the run game for the better part of a decade, right?  Of course the new guy is going to get praise when that's the case.

Yeah, how can a Bengal fan not be excited about having Pollack around after the last guy we had? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:34 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Joe Mixon and Andy Dalton are going to be what drives this team. Mixon will run wild IMO with the improved OL and OL coach/scheme. Dalton will finally have a pocket he can step up into (something that he has never had). I think with the weapons we have this year we can do something (as long as most of them stay healthy). I very much think this is going to be a run first offense that opens up the deep ball with Green and Ross.

i agree w/ you 100%....my first thought was Dalton, b/c of the better O-line but I know it's going to be Mixon...….
he's going to be the key to this offense....
he will run wild...…constant home run threat.....
so imo, it's got to be Mixon.....
Reply/Quote
cant believe that true football fans are suggesting Ross will be the answer..

dude was injury prone and had problems with route recognition in college

you saw the same in year 1 here..but hes the next jerry rice waiting to happen
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:56 PM)yang Wrote: Yes, and it's not close.  The specific question asked who would bring the "biggest improvement" .   I can't see how players who have been here like AJ  Green can offer much more than they already bring.    Mixon will need to improve but he was already here and we saw wisps of that at the end of the year.   Ross is the key to making this offence next level.   If you want Green to improve it will be because of Ross being on the field.   He is a threat to score virtually every touch of the ball and teams can't shade to AJ's side every.single.play.

horse hockey..a good offensive line is the key to taking this offense to the next level
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Andy Dalton

It all comes together this season, finally.

that's IF....
the O-line gets fixed....
RT & RG are still up for grabs.....new OC & LT
hope they jell quickly....as in the preseason.....
be nice to win game #1 in Indy...
for that to happen the O-line has to be solid allowing our ground game to control the clock....

but if the O-line is at least avg, Dalton should have a fantastic year
Mixon & Gio will have room to run & that will open up the passing game more.....

if this all comes together the offense should be top 10 & that should equal out to 10-11 wins....
Reply/Quote