Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who played football?
Played RB and CB in HS. I'm not the biggest guy in the world, but I was pretty darn fast, had quick feet and made people miss. Had interest from a lot of D-III schools and 2 D-II schools for football. Heard from D-I schools for track, no offers, I believe they were called "preferred walk on"? Decided to join the Army out of school and always regretted never trying out for football or track after.
Reply/Quote
I played in high school and attempted to in college.

1. Who else played advanced ball?
No but I was given the opportunity to coach a semi-pro team as a secondary coach.

2. What position did you play?
Cornerback. Mostly played zone. Also saw time at slot receiver.

3. Given your experience how does that factor into your view of Bengals?
Just allowed me to better scout defensive backs.
Reply/Quote
Played all through middle school and high school. All league player. Tight end. Once caught eight passes for 149 yards, a touchdown and a two point conversion to set single game record in league. High jumper in track and leading rebounder in basketball. Could really go up and get the ball. Also played defensive end.

Had some college interest from mid-am schools, but felt more ready to major in smoking and drinking. In that, I was pretty successful. Always regretted not giving college football a whirl.

Later became a sports writer, and got to associate with some good high school teams and coaches. Later still, worked a couple of seasons as a high school assistant.

Love the passing game, but it's pretty hard not to love handing the ball to Jeremy Hill.

Bengal season ticket holder.
Reply/Quote
Played WR in high school for a team that ran the Wing T. So that pretty much sums up how little I actually did besides block. I doubt I had more than 15 receptions my entire HS career. We threw maybe 4-5 times a game if we had to.

I was nothing special, I was only 5'9, 150. Decent speed at best. So that was as far as I knew I could go. Now I spend my days trying to dominate in my intramural league at school.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 09:31 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: High school. FB/LB

I played hockey from 6-16 competitively though in both travel Roller and Ice.

(06-02-2015, 12:16 AM)Beaker Wrote: Played football, hockey and lacrosse in high school.
Played college lacrosse.
Am still playing men's league hockey most Sunday's.

In football, played FS. Wanted to play LB, but at 130 lbs, that wasn't happening.

Cool to see some fellow ice hockey players. Started about 5yo until I graduated HS, never played organized football though. Curious how you made that happen beak.  Football and hockey seasons ran at the same time where I'm from, and I had choose one or the other,  it wasn't until middle school that became interested in organized football.  I was already a starter in hockey, so the choice was simple...ride the bench in football or continue starting in hockey.

But I was raised in Cinci, so I grew up on Reds and Bengals, been a fan all my life.
Reply/Quote
I played several positions qb,rb,wr,cb, and occasionally s. Played qb through freshman year, then moved to wr. Started at cb alongside another shutdown cb. They would challenge each of us about once or twice a game usually leading to a pd or a pick and after that they just stayed away from both of us; instead choosing to test the middle most of the time.
Seriously, it's a pretty awesome feeling knowing that the opposing coach is frustrated to no end knowing that he can't do anything on the outside.
Reply/Quote
Parents resisted in letting me play for the longest time.

When I finally moved from the sticks to a neighborhood closer to Cincy where there were enough kids to form a pickup game, I played with much older kids. They couldn't tackle me.

Finally convinced my folks to let me play in 8th grade. Coach put me at OG/NG. I had a growth spurt in middle school and was somewhat bigger than a lot of kids, but I was also the fastest.

Next year I participated in camps as RB/LB. Had a few good showings where I'd say I "took over," but always had some nagging injury...fingers, back, hip pointer, you name it.

Next year came in even lighter, 8% body fat (that's not close to competition level, but that's as good as it got for me). Came into camp as RB/LB again. During a "rip" drill against a blocker, my shoulder ripped. Never healed that season, and I grew frustrated of being the injured guy. Quit and went on to play tennis (after the shoulder healed).

Sadly, I still have dreams about competing in HS football. Not staying with the team through HS is one of my bigger regrets. It's the ultimate competitive field, and I think I knew I was a good enough athlete to make something happen in HS. Way too small in college. Sad, because skipping out on HS football is not the end of the world and I know that. But I really enjoyed the dedication and the competition when I did it.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 03:24 AM)Bengals23 Wrote: Played WR in high school for a team that ran the Wing T. So that pretty much sums up how little I actually did besides block. I doubt I had more than 15 receptions my entire HS career. We threw maybe 4-5 times a game if we had to.

I was nothing special, I was only 5'9, 150. Decent speed at best. So that was as far as I knew I could go. Now I spend my days trying to dominate in my intramural league at school.

Wing Right, 24 left on two, ready break
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was a running back / olb/ss. I scored 26 touchdowns my freshman year under a wing a T. The following year I get bumped to varsity as a sophmore. The headcoach was fired, Torrey smith was my quarterback btw. We went from a wing T to the option, so it was the torrey show.

We were 6-1 about to make the playoffs, school let's out so we have a hour to eat or whatever before we have to be back . Someone had talked about Torreys girl in a bad way or something . So he goes and beats kid up and breaks his throwing hand. We lose next 3 games and miss playoffs. Lol

My best friend dexter McDougle got drafted by the Jets this past year but tore his acl after 1st pre season game.

I played baseball and basketball as well. Would of played D1 baseball w/o a doubt.. if i didnt fully commit football. I think about what if way to often..
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:57 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I played highschool football in Alaska

2 a days in August were 20 below, and the season only lasted 3 weeks before the sun went down for 6 months?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 03:32 PM)UDWhoDey Wrote: Hey all.  I graduated from HS in 1989 as an under-sized LB.  Played 2 years of semi-pro ball as corner and safety (once in 1993 as a spritely youth and in 2002 as "the old dude at 33".  Just curious who else?

Questions:
1.  Who else played advanced ball?
2.  What position did you play?
3.  Given your experience how does that factor into your view of Bengals?

1.  Yes, semi-pro (They did not pay me)
2.  Defensive back
3.  I don't get the hype about the QB being the being face for Bengals.  Or for Dalton being at fault for the overall team.  In my semi-pro teams QB was just a member of team.  Did not view him as overall fault or credit.  We were ranked #2 at one point nationally in my Dayton Steelers semipro team in 1993 (hated the team name :)

Others?

1) I played in both high school and one year of college ball before injury ended my career.
2) Quarterback
3) QB has always been a position where too much praise goes to the QB when things are going well, and too much blame is placed on the QB during failure.  This couldn't be more true for the Bengals...
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 09:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: H.S. only here

Played mostly CB on defense and a bit of S. Was a WR/Split end on offense but played basically only defense the last couple years. And I was on both PR/KR teams. I was one of the shallow deep 3 on our kick return team and shallow deep man on punt returns.

I can't stand to see a returner go sideways and I damn near kick over the TV when they run backwards.

Tiger
Same here played in HS. CB and WR. Was the punt returner for 2 years, and want to turn myself inside out when they run sideways.

I can still hear my ST coach yelling at me: " I don't give a shit if you run 90 yds sideways , you better at least get me 1 yard forward"!!
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Played as 5th string WR in HS until Jr year.
Our CBs started dropping like flies. I switched position.
So happy I did. I learned I loved laying the boom! I punished WRs.
Senior year started at CB.
Then we lost some of our WRs...I played Ironman football. WR and CB. Twas tough
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
I played football. Elementary school coach told me I'm the best QB in the whole school.

Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 02:04 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Played as 5th string WR in HS until Jr year.
Our CBs started dropping like flies. I switched position.
So happy I did. I learned I loved laying the boom! I punished WRs.
Senior year started at CB.
Then we lost some of our WRs...I played Ironman football. WR and CB. Twas tough

We played Ironman too.....small school.  We had linemen running sub six minute miles.....some in the very low 5's, we ran the cross country team's routes.  We did A LOT of running.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Also, here are two guys I played against in high school: Terrell Pryor and Rob Gronkowski.

Hate Pryor for ruining our best season we had in years. And Gronkowski is just a beast. Crazy party animal, but a beast.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 03:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: We played Ironman too.....small school.  We had linemen running sub six minute miles.....some in the very low 5's, we ran the cross country team's routes.  We did A LOT of running.
Yeah. I remember those guys. One of TEs played DE. We had a lot of Ironmen on our team.
Till this day though I love playing Defense. Hate offense now. Once I went CB I really didn't want to go back. I actually played a wee bit of Safety.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 04:09 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Also, here are two guys I played against in high school: Terrell Pryor and Rob Gronkowski.

Hate Pryor for ruining our best season we had in years. And Gronkowski is just a beast. Crazy party animal, but a beast.

You went to HS in Western PA? Which school?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 03:32 PM)UDWhoDey Wrote: Hey all.  I graduated from HS in 1989 as an under-sized LB.  Played 2 years of semi-pro ball as corner and safety (once in 1993 as a spritely youth and in 2002 as "the old dude at 33".  Just curious who else?

Questions:
1.  Who else played advanced ball?
2.  What position did you play?
3.  Given your experience how does that factor into your view of Bengals?

1.  Yes, semi-pro (They did not pay me)
2.  Defensive back
3.  I don't get the hype about the QB being the being face for Bengals.  Or for Dalton being at fault for the overall team.  In my semi-pro teams QB was just a member of team.  Did not view him as overall fault or credit.  We were ranked #2 at one point nationally in my Dayton Steelers semipro team in 1993 (hated the team name :)

Others?

I wanted to try semi-pro, but like you stated, you didn't get paid and I had hungry mouths to feed. I played in (Columbus West) high school and got a few offers to play D2 football, but got into trouble with johnny law. Loved playing. I worked so hard at it... But I realized when I tried to walk on at OSU I was no where near good enough lol... It was a realy gut punch for me. 

I played OLB. I was a pure speed rusher and was ok at coverage. I was under 6 foot and weighed like 175 so I usually had a hard times with bigger backs.. I also love coaching kids. I teach Micro Minis for about the last 4 years.

It doesn't mean squat. I am like most other guys who played football and was simply not good enough to advance past HS. I don't have no where near the skills or knowledge to be given my two cents and be given much weight beyond some of the obvious things. More of less just like a place to vent and talk about the game with other fans :-)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I played soccer for 12 years *runs and hides*
Reply/Quote