Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who plays music?
What do you play? What's your gear?

I play guitar. Lots of it. Country, blues, jazz and classic rock.

My main guitar is a G&L Custom Shop ASAT Classic. Also have a G&L Legacy, 2 Fender mex Strats, a Fender Modern Player Tele, 1974 Gretsch Super Chet, 1971 Martin D-28, a goofed up modded mid 90's Gibson Les Paul and a new Epiphone Les Paul plus top pro which I love. And a handful of cheap pawn shop scores in need of repair.

My amps are a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue, Fender Blues Jr III, Peavy Classic 30, Vox AC-15, brand new Fender Deluxe Tone Master, Mesa Boogie Nomad, and a weird but totally amazing mid 70's SG Systems tube amp.

Id love to hear what you all play and what gear....

My main squeeze
[Image: 73381333_10157408602431047_8740073884025...e=5F86F722]
Reply/Quote
That's a nice tele!

I've been playing guitar for 20 years.

Electrics:
Fender fat strat (Humbucker in the bridge)
Eastwood Classic 6 HB

Acoustics:
Martin DC-16GTE
Alvarez 5044 (early-70s)
Takamine G-series travel guitar
Kala Ukulele

I'm still rocking through a Line 6 POD 2.0 from maybe 2002/2003 through a 65-watt Behringer amp. That rig got me through a lot of gigs in high school and college! Mostly now I just noodle for about 15-20 minutes a day and maybe jam with a friend a couple times a year.

My dad played drums and I'm hoping to add a kit someday as it's a good stress reliever Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fender Mexi Strat and an Ovation Celebrity, each of which i've had for 20+ years. I used to play through a Fender Deluxe 112 but i also have a little Gorilla amp. I have several effects pedals and wahs, an old DOD multi effects pedal and an even older Art Xtreme mutli effects pedal, neither of which have been used in quite some time. 

I tend to do things in blocks of time, play music, mess with computers, play games online so my guitars have mostly been sitting around collecting dust but about a week ago i got the urge to start playing again (been playing off and on since '84). Back in '17 i bought some software from IK Multimedia called Amplitube 4 (which i had installed on my old PC), so i decided to install it on the new comp i built back in December. I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo to play the guitar through my PC. 

I just ordered a new guitar a couple days ago and it should be here friday. I had a Floyd Rose installed on my strat and replaced the bridge pickup with a humbucker (did that myself) and over time one of the mounting screws loosened up, as well as all the problems keeping a double-locking tremolo in tune...blahblahblah...and the humbucker must be ground wrong or something because i always have a buzz in it. Anyway...the intonation is off and i didn't really feel like putting all that work into getting the strat up to par so i decided it was time for a new 'tar. Friday night when i get home, the shredding will commence in force with this.

[Image: J1138522X-P.fpx?cvt=jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 06:42 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That's a nice tele!  

I've been playing guitar for 20 years.  

Electrics:
Fender fat strat (Humbucker in the bridge)
Eastwood Classic 6 HB

Acoustics:
Martin DC-16GTE
Alvarez 5044 (early-70s)
Takamine G-series travel guitar
Kala Ukulele

I'm still rocking through a Line 6 POD 2.0 from maybe 2002/2003 through a 65-watt Behringer amp.  That rig got me through a lot of gigs in high school and college!  Mostly now I just noodle for about 15-20 minutes a day and maybe jam with a friend a couple times a year.  

My dad played drums and I'm hoping to add a kit someday as it's a good stress reliever Wink

Sweet this Eastwood semi hollow bodys look really nice. And the Line 6 POD is freaking awesome and I regret selling one. I know they have upgraded modulation stuff these days, but the old POD set the standard!

Drumset would be a great stress relief great idea lol!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:39 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Fender Mexi Strat and an Ovation Celebrity, each of which i've had for 20+ years. I used to play through a Fender Deluxe 112 but i also have a little Gorilla amp. I have several effects pedals and wahs, an old DOD multi effects pedal and an even older Art Xtreme mutli effects pedal, neither of which have been used in quite some time. 

I tend to do things in blocks of time, play music, mess with computers, play games online so my guitars have mostly been sitting around collecting dust but about a week ago i got the urge to start playing again (been playing off and on since '84). Back in '17 i bought some software from IK Multimedia called Amplitube 4 (which i had installed on my old PC), so i decided to install it on the new comp i built back in December. I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo to play the guitar through my PC. 

I just ordered a new guitar a couple days ago and it should be here friday. I had a Floyd Rose installed on my strat and replaced the bridge pickup with a humbucker (did that myself) and over time one of the mounting screws loosened up, as well as all the problems keeping a double-locking tremolo in tune...blahblahblah...and the humbucker must be ground wrong or something because i always have a buzz in it. Anyway...the intonation is off and i didn't really feel like putting all that work into getting the strat up to par so i decided it was time for a new 'tar. Friday night when i get home, the shredding will commence in force with this.

[Image: J1138522X-P.fpx?cvt=jpg]

That is a beautiful Jackson! I totally regret selling my old Charvel from the early 90s. Always wanted a jackson though they play so nice. I love the flat fingerboards.

You like the Foscurite Scarlett? Ive been looking at those!

Sounds like the strat could end up being a project guitar, or already was. Ive been learning to do my own setups because the only guy in my area is backed up months. Got a high end peterson tuner to help with intonation, but when it comes to a standard tele bridge, they just wont go fully in without the compensated saddles.

I love gear lol. Glad to know there are other players on here. I know Nate plays, per his avatar! Maybe he will chime in as well.
Reply/Quote
I play guitar.

My gear:

-Suhr Classic Antique HSS
-Suhr Classic T
-Les Paul Studio Deluxe

-Line 6 Helix LT
-Fender Blues Jr.

I use my Helix for pretty much everything now, but I still have quite a few pedals. If I'm playing through my amp I usually just use a super simple pedalboard. (Crybaby, Fulltone OCD, MXR Carbon Copy)
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 06:42 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'm still rocking through a Line 6 POD 2.0 from maybe 2002/2003 through a 65-watt Behringer amp.  That rig got me through a lot of gigs in high school and college! 

The glorious Pod.

I rocked one of those for years.  I use to use right into the effect loop of a 5150.

When that thing came out I don't I've ever been more excited by a piece of gear.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 05:51 PM)bengaloo Wrote: My amps are a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue, Fender Blues Jr III, Peavy Classic 30, Vox AC-15, brand new Fender Deluxe Tone Master, Mesa Boogie Nomad, and a weird but totally amazing mid 70's SG Systems tube amp.

That is a KILLER amp collection.

Fwiw, I used to work with the guy who designed the Peavy Classic 30.  His name is James Brown.  He actually did the 5150 for them as well.  Great dude. He has a pedal company now called Amp Tweaker.  IMHO, those Classic 30's are probably one of the best value amps that you snag on the used market.

What do you think of the new Tone Master?  I've heard a lot of good things.
Reply/Quote
I play a lot of killer CDs/LPs, and quite the master of my 1976 air guitar. Wish I had actually learned to play a real guitar.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wish I had actually learned to play a real guitar.

You still can, Wyche!

There is no time better than right now to be a beginner guitar player.  The quality you can get from a $200 Squier guitar now is light years beyond what you'd get more than 20 years ago.

And youtube almost makes taking lessons absolete.  You can find thousands of beginner videos and how to play videos.

I'm serious, if you ever really wanted to to do it should give it a try.  We need more guitar players!!! 

The more people picking up instruments rather than mumble rapping over sampled beats the better.  Join the club!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 12:25 PM)bengaloo Wrote: That is a beautiful Jackson! I totally regret selling my old Charvel from the early 90s. Always wanted a jackson though they play so nice. I love the flat fingerboards.

You like the Foscurite Scarlett? Ive been looking at those!

Sounds like the strat could end up being a project guitar, or already was. Ive been learning to do my own setups because the only guy in my area is backed up months. Got a high end peterson tuner to help with intonation, but when it comes to a standard tele bridge, they just wont go fully in without the compensated saddles.

I love gear lol. Glad to know there are other players on here. I know Nate plays, per his avatar! Maybe he will chime in as well.

Thanks! I can't freaking wait for that guitar to arrive. My dream has always been an ESP but i've always loved the way Jackson's look. Some day i'll probably get a reverse headstock neck, just because i like that look. When i saw the price i couldn't pass it up. I was doubly shocked that it didn't cost more than it's right-handed counterpart...since most of the time, leftys do cost me more. 

Love the Scarlett Solo. It's a breeze to set up, easy to use and produces a good clean sound. 

Yea, the strat will be a project. I can still play it but i'm kind of limited. If i stay north of the 12 fret, or south, i'm fine but i can't do both with the intonation being off. It sounds just enough off that it bugs me. I've thought of a couple ways to re-mount the Floyd and the pickup is just a wiring/soldering thing...but i just don't feel like working on it right now. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That is a KILLER amp collection.

Fwiw, I used to work with the guy who designed the Peavy Classic 30.  His name is James Brown.  He actually did the 5150 for them as well.  Great dude. He has a pedal company now called Amp Tweaker.  IMHO, those Classic 30's are probably one of the best value amps that you snag on the used market.

What do you think of the new Tone Master?  I've heard  a lot of good things.

Dude, your guitar collection is sick! Suhr guitars are on another level from most brands out there. And the Helix looks like the real deal. I've been watching a lot of youtube vids on that and it really looks like it can do it all. Do you use it live? Line 6 just keeps getting better it seems.

That Peavy is probably the best deal I've ever got on a good piece of gear. That is awesome you worked with that guy. Do you work on amps and guitars? I paid $300 for the classic 30 used in near mint condition, and it has been worth more than that to me. I've used it more than any the last few years... maybe until now wth the tonemaster. I LOVE the tonemaster. Obviously the weight is very nice, but its the power switching that really pushed it over the top for me. Getting that great tube sound at bedroom levels is sweet lol. And I love that it looks like the real deal. Head to head with my reissue, there isnt much difference. I really think Fender hit a homerun with these amps.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 03:30 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Dude, your guitar collection is sick! Suhr guitars are on another level from most brands out there. And the Helix looks like the real deal. I've been watching a lot of youtube vids on that and it really looks like it can do it all. Do you use it live? Line 6 just keeps getting better it seems.

That Peavy is probably the best deal I've ever got on a good piece of gear. That is awesome you worked with that guy. Do you work on amps and guitars? I paid $300 for the classic 30 used in near mint condition, and it has been worth more than that to me. I've used it more than any the last few years... maybe until now wth the tonemaster. I LOVE the tonemaster. Obviously the weight is very nice, but its the power switching that really pushed it over the top for me. Getting that great tube sound at bedroom levels is sweet lol. And I love that it looks like the real deal. Head to head with my reissue, there isnt much difference. I really think Fender hit a homerun with these amps.

So super, super long story short as possible.

I got to finally play a Suhr about 5 years ago.  I instantly fell in love with the guitar.  Best S style guitar I ever played. 

I had been mainly a Les Paul guy forever, but I had switched to playing almost nothing but my Strat when I got older.  I had accumilated a ton of gear up until that point.  (I used to work in a music store when I was younger and then I worked as a sales rep for a big guitar company)

I pretty much sold it all to fund the purchase of the two Suhrs, and I kept my favorite Les Paul.  It was totally worth it to me.  I had a lot of pretty nice stuff but just way too much of it.  So I figured why not just get the best example of Strat and Tele that I can, and leave it at that.  Although I do miss having 10+ guitars hanging in my music room.

I absolutely love my Helix.  It's perfect for me.  I don't play out any more and 99% of the time I'm just playing at home, either recording or jamming to backing tracks.  I can run it right into my computer if I want without a standalone interfrace, I can run it with headphones, or I can run it to my monitors or my amp.  It's pretty freaking incredible.

I don't have to worry about all my cables any more, or running things though my effects loops, or batteries, or power supplies.  It's just hooked up and ready to go.  I have a ton of patches I've worked out that I can just cycle though depending on what I want.

I've never used it live.  But I do know loads of people do.  There's guys that just tour with that unit alone and run to front of house.  You can also get those cabs that work well with IR's if you want a more traditional amp setup.

I do a lot of work on guitars but just basic stuff.  I stop at fret work.  But I do setups and can do electronics.  I keep saying I'm going to buy some files and try to learn how to do a fret dress and slot a nut, but I alway balk at the investment on tools.  I do not mess with amps at all. 

I've been seriously getting a Tonemaster for the very reason you said.  Even my little Blues Jr has to get way too loud to sound really good.

Yeah, your amp collections rocks.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I play guitar.

My gear:

-Suhr Classic Antique HSS
-Suhr Classic T
-Les Paul Studio Deluxe

-Line 6 Helix LT
-Fender Blues Jr.

I use my Helix for pretty much everything now, but I still have quite a few pedals.  If I'm playing through my amp I usually just use a super simple pedalboard. (Crybaby, Fulltone OCD, MXR Carbon Copy)

The Suhr's are legit.  I never gave them much notice until I started following a YT'er I like (Ben Eller) and he plays Suhr pretty much exclusively.  

I was torn on the semi-hollow vs LP when I went to get a new guitar this year to celebrate 20 years.  I played a few LPs and while I love the look and want to add one to my collection, I just don't love the feel.  The 335 style has a ton of access up the neck and the Gibson scale is nice.  

If I could afford an amp collection like Bengaloo, I would :drool:
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 03:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So super, super long story short as possible.

I got to finally play a Suhr about 5 years ago.  I instantly fell in love with the guitar.  Best S style guitar I ever played. 

I had been mainly a Les Paul guy forever, but I had switched to playing almost nothing but my Strat when I got older.  I had accumilated a ton of gear up until that point.  (I used to work in a music store when I was younger and then I worked as a sales rep for a big guitar company)

I pretty much sold it all to fund the purchase of the two Suhrs, and I kept my favorite Les Paul.  It was totally worth it to me.  I had a lot of pretty nice stuff but just way too much of it.  So I figured why not just get the best example of Strat and Tele that I can, and leave it at that.  Although I do miss having 10+ guitars hanging in my music room.

I absolutely love my Helix.  It's perfect for me.  I don't play out any more and 99% of the time I'm just playing at home, either recording or jamming to backing tracks.  I can run it right into my computer if I want without a standalone interfrace, I can run it with headphones, or I can run it to my monitors or my amp.  It's pretty freaking incredible.

I don't have to worry about all my cables any more, or running things though my effects loops, or batteries, or power supplies.  It's just hooked up and ready to go.  I have a ton of patches I've worked out that I can just cycle though depending on what I want.

I've never used it live.  But I do know loads of people do.  There's guys that just tour with that unit alone and run to front of house.  You can also get those cabs that work well with IR's if you want a more traditional amp setup.

I do a lot of work on guitars but just basic stuff.  I stop at fret work.  But I do setups and can do electronics.  I keep saying I'm going to buy some files and try to learn how to do a fret dress and slot a nut, but I alway balk at the investment on tools.  I do not mess with amps at all. 

I've been seriously getting a Tonemaster for the very reason you said.  Even my little Blues Jr has to get way too loud to sound really good.

Yeah, your amp collections rocks.  

That is awesome, I cant even imagine how good those guitars play! Every single one I've seen and heard sounded amazing. I like both Andy Wood and Pete Thorn. Those guys really got me looking into the Suhr guitars just from watching youtube vids. And they are gorgeous guitars.

If you find a tonemaster to try at a music store, it may be hard not to walk out with one. Thats what happened to me. I went in to get strings, and the guy was like hey you have to check these amps out, and I walked out with it. I really love my little blues jr, but like you said its pretty loud, and the tonemaster solve that and the tones and vibrato are spot on. I am still feeling the kid at the candy store vibe with this thing and I've had it 3 weeks.

Thanks about my amp collection. I'm missing a 63 tremolux that I sold a few years back, but all the amps I have now are really sweet even that weird old SG systems amp with the huge knobs. It actually sounds amazing but weighs a ton and is 100 watts of loud. piss my ol' lady off tone lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 04:00 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote:  

I was torn on the semi-hollow vs LP when I went to get a new guitar this year to celebrate 20 years.  I played a few LPs and while I love the look and want to add one to my collection, I just don't love the feel.  The 335 style has a ton of access up the neck and the Gibson scale is nice.  

Well, they do call 335's "Les Paul Killers" for a reason. :andy: 

I'm almost ashamed to admit that, despite having owned probably close to 100 different guitars in my life, I've never owned a really good 335. 

I finally broke down and bought an Eastman T386 a few years back, which is close to a Gibson on slightly lighter budget.  But like an idiot I bought one with a Bigbsy just because I find a good deal. Which I should have know that I wouldn't dig. (To each their own, but they get in my way and add way to much weight).  So I unloaded it when I bought my Suhrs.

One day, I'll pony up some money and get a good one.  It's long overdue.

Fwiw, IMHO you probably made the right decision.  I love Les Paul's, I've probably owned 20 of them, but they're really only good at one thing.  And I find the neck pickup almost unusable. On it's own it's way too muddy on a Les Paul. On a 335 it's entirely different story.

The 335 and the Tele are IMHO the two most versatile guitars you can own.  You can do pretty much anything (short of metal) on either of them.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Thanks! I can't freaking wait for that guitar to arrive. My dream has always been an ESP 

Oh...mah...gawd...

I don't know how i misses this the other night. I looked online for a couple hours for left-handed guitars and ended up getting the Jackson...but never saw this. This is the guitar i was going to get last year but it was $400 at the time and i put it off. 

[Image: lnbgfrjizcpqgskok1c0.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 01:39 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just ordered a new guitar a couple days ago and it should be here friday.

I'm jealous.  There's nothing better than New Guitar Day!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 04:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Oh...mah...gawd...

I don't know how i misses this the other night. I looked online for a couple hours for left-handed guitars and ended up getting the Jackson...but never saw this. This is the guitar i was going to get last year but it was $400 at the time and i put it off. 

[Image: lnbgfrjizcpqgskok1c0.jpg]

Which LTD is that?  I dig it! 

There's always room for another guitar, ya know....
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 05:29 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Which LTD is that?  I dig it! 

There's always room for another guitar, ya know....

MH-203QM and yes...it will be mine, some day. 

Reply/Quote