Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who plays music?
(09-17-2020, 05:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: MH-203QM and yes...it will be mine, some day. 

Thats a beauty. It just looks fast...
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 05:43 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Thats a beauty. It just looks fast...

Yuuuuup. I think the reason i missed it is because it's sold out on most sites and that one is used and marked down a bit.

So...when i'm ready for 6 more strings, that will be the one. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 06:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yuuuuup. I think the reason i missed it is because it's sold out on most sites and that one is used and marked down a bit.

So...when i'm ready for 6 more strings, that will be the one. 

Since you're already have a similarly equipped Floyd guitar, why not mix it up?  You ought to look at getting one of these:

[Image: wangcaster.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 06:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Since you're already have a similarly equipped Floyd guitar, why not mix it up?  You ought to look at getting one of these:

Whooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. Now i see i've thunk it all. Or something like that.  Shocked

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 06:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Since you're already have a similarly equipped Floyd guitar, why not mix it up?  You ought to look at getting one of these:

Lmao that is awesome Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2020, 02:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You still can, Wyche!

There is no time better than right now to be a beginner guitar player.  The quality you can get from a $200 Squier guitar now is light years beyond what you'd get more than 20 years ago.

And youtube almost makes taking lessons absolete.  You can find thousands of beginner videos and how to play videos.

I'm serious, if you ever really wanted to to do it should give it a try.  We need more guitar players!!! 

The more people picking up instruments rather than mumble rapping over sampled beats the better.  Join the club!

Ya know, my oldest daughter is looking into playing. We got her a cheapy acoustic....and she's dying to learn. We tried to get lessons going, but Covid I guess....so we're gonna put her on YouTube for starters. You're right, I should just sit down with her and get going. I've got an old 5 string I never learned either. I need to just learn the guitar and get with the banjo later. I actually learned some chords on it, but those finger rolls are tough on a beginner, and I lost interest. By God, I'm gonna do it. If I pick it up, I'll invest in an electric. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ya know, my oldest daughter is looking into playing. We got her a cheapy acoustic....and she's dying to learn. We tried to get lessons going, but Covid I guess....so we're gonna put her on YouTube for starters. You're right, I should just sit down with her and get going. I've got an old 5 string I never learned either. I need to just learn the guitar and get with the banjo later. I actually learned some chords on it, but those finger rolls are tough on a beginner, and I lost interest. By God, I'm gonna do it. If I pick it up, I'll invest in an electric. 

Guitar sales have skyrocketed as a result of COVID, with so many itching to learn, so it's a hot topic at the moment with a large community just getting started.  And there a LOT of great resources on YouTube especially.  The one challenge with not having in-person lessons is no one to watch how you're doing things and telling you there's a better way.  But I'm also a pretty firm believer that the way that works for you IS the best way.  The important thing is stay loose, have fun and keep working at it.  There will be up days and down days, but spending even just 15 minutes a day will net some pretty impressive progress in fairly short order.  
Reply/Quote
Knew I liked you Bengaloo, you gotta lot of dough into your collection Holy Shit!

Been playing for 20 years but I am more of an acoustic guy. I play more of like a Folk Metal with Acoustics and my
Acoustic/Electric 12 string Oscar Schmitt. This is my main guitar, I took off one of G strings so it doesn't sound funky.

Also have a Fender Dreadnought and a Fender Strat that I have to get fixed, A Hohner acoustic, classical guitar as
well. Have a 120 watt Crate amp for my Oscar and my Strat. My little Fender amp bit the dust. Oh yeah, I also play a
little Mandolin when I get the time, cheapo.

Rock On

BTW, the guitar in my Avatar is my Fender Dreadnought, my sister drew that. Think it is pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 06:54 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Guitar sales have skyrocketed as a result of COVID, with so many itching to learn, so it's a hot topic at the moment with a large community just getting started.  And there a LOT of great resources on YouTube especially.  The one challenge with not having in-person lessons is no one to watch how you're doing things and telling you there's a better way.  But I'm also a pretty firm believer that the way that works for you IS the best way.  The important thing is stay loose, have fun and keep working at it.  There will be up days and down days, but spending even just 15 minutes a day will net some pretty impressive progress in fairly short order.  

Thanks for the tips, and encouragement. I sat with her while she strummed some chords last night. I plan to play some tonight and this weekend myself. I'm really busy this time of year at work and with soccer, yard work, etc...but winter will allow me all of the time I need. I'm going to just learn some chords at about the 15 minute clip you referred to....then hopefully make some callouses this winter.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thanks for the tips, and encouragement. I sat with her while she strummed some chords last night. I plan to play some tonight and this weekend myself. I'm really busy this time of year at work and with soccer, yard work, etc...but winter will allow me all of the time I need. I'm going to just learn some chords at about the 15 minute clip you referred to....then hopefully make some callouses this winter.  Cool

Some good chords to start out with are E-minor and A-minor, they are easy. Once you get them down you can move to the C's
and G's and the other majors. This is how I taught my brother in law and my sister how to play. Once you get the callouses it 
gets really fun Wyche and becomes addicting as hell.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 05:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ya know, my oldest daughter is looking into playing. We got her a cheapy acoustic....and she's dying to learn. We tried to get lessons going, but Covid I guess....so we're gonna put her on YouTube for starters. You're right, I should just sit down with her and get going. I've got an old 5 string I never learned either. I need to just learn the guitar and get with the banjo later. I actually learned some chords on it, but those finger rolls are tough on a beginner, and I lost interest. By God, I'm gonna do it. If I pick it up, I'll invest in an electric. 

So I actually gave mainly beginner lessons for awhile, years back.  My biggest takeway from it was that if people can just get through the first part (maybe 3 to 6 months or so) then it's somewhat smooth sailing from there, as far as it keeping your interest.

I'd say 90% of people who quit, do so in this timeframe.  Why?  Because it can be frustrating with the calluses and feeling like you're never going to be able to really play anything.  For a lot of people it's not a lot of fun (yet).

BUT... once you learn just a few chords and you can change them up and move around a little with them, it opens up a TON of songs you can play.  And you'll finally be able start to feel like your progressing.

Another big piece advice, if it's not fun or if starts to feel like a chore, just take a break.  Be it a night, or a week.  Just do it in your own time.

One day, and it won't take that long, it will click from "Man this is so hard" to "I really want to learn this song" and you'll look forward to it.

Fwiw, chords I would start out with:  C, A Minor, G, D.  (You can cover a lot of ground with these 4)  Don't feel like you have to learn every major chord at once, and then every minor chord.  Break them up in chunks like these.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 01:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So I actually gave mainly beginner lessons for awhile, years back.  My biggest takeway from it was that if people can just get through the first part (maybe 3 to 6 months or so) then it's somewhat smooth sailing from there, as far as it keeping your interest.

I'd say 90% of people who quit, do so in this timeframe.  Why?  Because it can be frustrating with the calluses and feeling like you're never going to be able to really play anything.  For a lot of people it's not a lot of fun (yet).

BUT... once you learn just a few chords and you can change them up and move around a little with them, it opens up a TON of songs you can play.  And you'll finally be able start to feel like your progressing.

Another big piece advice, if it's not fun or if starts to feel like a chore, just take a break.  Be it a night, or a week.  Just do it in your own time.

One day, and it won't take that long, it will click from "Man this is so hard" to "I really want to learn this song" and you'll look forward to it.

Fwiw, chords I would start out with:  C, A Minor, G, D.  (You can cover a lot of ground with these 4)  Don't feel like you have to learn every major chord at once, and then every minor chord.  Break them up in chunks like these.

Yes sir and stay away from those bar chords early on lol
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 01:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So I actually gave mainly beginner lessons for awhile, years back.  My biggest takeway from it was that if people can just get through the first part (maybe 3 to 6 months or so) then it's somewhat smooth sailing from there, as far as it keeping your interest.

I quit guitar twice before it clicked for me.  Most people would disapprove of my philosophy, but I think students should start on either a nylon string acoustic or an electric guitar with light gauge strings. Young players are usually so enthusiastic about playing that they tear their fingertips up and it deters them. Another thing that is highly overlooked is someone's physicality. Finding the right radius and neck/fret scale is important but usually not recognized until later in a player's future(if they make it that far).  A lot of times students are given crap guitars that don't stay in tune, high action, and bad intonation.  Basically not set-up at all. It makes a huge difference and much more enjoyable playing.

Also, like you said if you learn a few basic chords there are a TON of songs to play.  YouTube has made this highly accessible for players from beginner to expert levels.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:28 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I quit guitar twice before it clicked for me.  Most people would disapprove of my philosophy, but I think students should start on either a nylon string acoustic or an electric guitar with light gauge strings. Young players are usually so enthusiastic about playing that they tear their fingertips up and it deters them. Another thing that is highly overlooked is someone's physicality. Finding the right radius and neck/fret scale is important but usually not recognized until later in a player's future(if they make it that far).  A lot of times students are given crap guitars that don't stay in tune, high action, and bad intonation.  Basically not set-up at all. It makes a huge difference and much more enjoyable playing.

Also, like you said if you learn a few basic chords there are a TON of songs to play.  YouTube has made this highly accessible for players from beginner to expert levels.

It's funny you say this.  I started off with everyone telling me that you HAVE to learn acoustic first.  And then I got my first guitar, and it was a 3/4 size acoustic with the action higher than I've ever seen in my life on another guitar.  And I was told you HAVE to play with higher gauge strings to get the best tone.  But I got that guitar and was so committed, and practiced 1-3 hours every day for a year until I bought my first electric.  And you know, it sucked.  My fingers were in excruciating pain for a couple of weeks, it was hard.  There were days I didn't want to practice, or wanted to throw my guitar against the wall and quit.  But I learned open chords, bar chords, and so much else on that guitar.  And when I got the electric it was like playing the easiest thing in the world.  But that's a terrible way to learn, and I'd never recommend that approach to anyone.  At least anyone I liked and wanted to be successful at learning...   

My philosophy for anyone now wanting to learn is get a guitar that makes you smile (acoustic or electric) and want to pick it up.  Keep it accessible so you can grab it and practice for a few minutes here and there.  Play around and try to learn some things by ear.  Make it fun, make it comfortable.  Bar chords are cake on an electric.  It becomes more of the mechanics and muscle memory than anything.  Or learn on an acoustic and discover the power of dynamics (playing loud vs soft / responsiveness) and the fun of strumming along to songs (or singing while you play).    

One thing I wish I spent more time on when I was starting was theory.  Learning triads, understanding not just scale shapes but what it actually meant.  Learning modes.  It's so easy to learn the first position of the minor pentatonic and think you've got it all hacked only to get trapped in the box.  But then again, I get a little obsessive about my hobbies sometimes and it gets beyond just having fun and wanting to really crack it.  

So I'll go back to my last advice; get a guitar that makes you want to play it and just get rolling :) 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Some good chords to start out with are E-minor and A-minor, they are easy. Once you get them down you can move to the C's
and G's and the other majors. This is how I taught my brother in law and my sister how to play. Once you get the callouses it 
gets really fun Wyche and becomes addicting as hell.

Thanks for the advice guys.... it'll help the daughter as well....youngest is taking up piano.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:35 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's funny you say this.  I started off with everyone telling me that you HAVE to learn acoustic first.  And then I got my first guitar, and it was a 3/4 size acoustic with the action higher than I've ever seen in my life on another guitar.  And I was told you HAVE to play with higher gauge strings to get the best tone.  But I got that guitar and was so committed, and practiced 1-3 hours every day for a year until I bought my first electric.  And you know, it sucked.  My fingers were in excruciating pain for a couple of weeks, it was hard.  There were days I didn't want to practice, or wanted to throw my guitar against the wall and quit.  But I learned open chords, bar chords, and so much else on that guitar.  And when I got the electric it was like playing the easiest thing in the world.  But that's a terrible way to learn, and I'd never recommend that approach to anyone.  At least anyone I liked and wanted to be successful at learning...   

My philosophy for anyone now wanting to learn is get a guitar that makes you smile (acoustic or electric) and want to pick it up.  Keep it accessible so you can grab it and practice for a few minutes here and there.  Play around and try to learn some things by ear.  Make it fun, make it comfortable.  Bar chords are cake on an electric.  It becomes more of the mechanics and muscle memory than anything.  Or learn on an acoustic and discover the power of dynamics (playing loud vs soft / responsiveness) and the fun of strumming along to songs (or singing while you play).    

One thing I wish I spent more time on when I was starting was theory.  Learning triads, understanding not just scale shapes but what it actually meant.  Learning modes.  It's so easy to learn the first position of the minor pentatonic and think you've got it all hacked only to get trapped in the box.  But then again, I get a little obsessive about my hobbies sometimes and it gets beyond just having fun and wanting to really crack it.  

So I'll go back to my last advice; get a guitar that makes you want to play it and just get rolling :) 

One of the things that accelerated my playing was this.  Playing guitar when watching TV.  It gets your muscle memory going.  Even if just switching basic chords and not actually playing a song.  Before you know it those chords will come and you will barely have to think about the placement of your fingers.

If you stare at the neck and remain too super-focused, it'll form a bad habit and make you frustrated down the road to break.

Learn a few chords.  Watch TV.  Try switching shapes without looking, or just glancing.  You'll start to understand muscle memory is happening. It'll build your confidence.  You can make those chord changes with barely thinking about it in time because you've loosened your thoughts with broadening your focus.

Now don't get me wrong here.   You'll focus to learn each chord.  Then put them into this process and in your chord switching rotation.

If you do what I mentioned above, playing/learning guitar won't be just a chore to do when you have time.  

It will be something you work on while watching a show. It becomes more of a natural habit before you know it.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 01:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, chords I would start out with:  C, A Minor, G, D.  (You can cover a lot of ground with these 4)  Don't feel like you have to learn every major chord at once, and then every minor chord.  Break them up in chunks like these.

Yep.  Most chords just variate from these shapes anyway.

This statement is for more advanced players:

Learn some songs styles/genre you might not normally play. 

You'll stumble across different chords and changes you might not be accustomed to. 

Also timing and overall different signatures as well.

It's an eye opener for sure.

Any of you guys fans of Rick Beato's vids?   Great stuff about music in general.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 07:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Any of you guys fans of Rick Beato's vids?   Great stuff about music in general.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch

I've watched quite a few of them.  Man, that  dude really knows his stuff!

I spend WAY too much time watching guitar vids on youtube.  Rhet Shull is really good, and I really like Robert Baker too.  If anyone is a fan of vintage gear, Norman's Rare Guitars is a must watch.  I watch their Guitar of the Day every single day.  Their guy who does their demos is Michael Lemmo, is a super interesting and unqiue player.
Reply/Quote
I play music. I have a kick ass stereo system, and it rocks. That's playing music, right? Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 07:24 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: One of the things that accelerated my playing was this.  Playing guitar when watching TV.  It gets your muscle memory going.  Even if just switching basic chords and not actually playing a song.  Before you know it those chords will come and you will barely have to think about the placement of your fingers.

HUGE pro tip.

I always keep a guitar in my living room for this very reason.  It's either on a stand, where I'll just occasionally look over and have to pick it up, or it's lying on my couch.

I really like using "TV time" to work on the boring, mindless stuff.  A lot of times I'll just sit there doing right hand exercises, or running scales, without even really thinking about it.

I had a really bad habit when I was younger about not using alternate picking enough.  I really only used downstrokes unless I absolutely had to use.  I finally solved it a long time ago by just sitting there and trying running pretty much every single combination of picking while watching tv. It got fixed pretty quickly.

Working on those exercies in a normal practice routine would have really sucked.  When I sit down to actually play I want to play some tunes or just noodle.  But when I'm watching the tube I can just sit there and work on triplets and 16th notes, different scales, etc. Stuff I generally hate to do otherwise.

I highly recommend everyone try this.  Even if it's just during commercials.  You can squeeze in a lot of extra boring work without even thinking  about it.
Reply/Quote