Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who plays music?
(09-29-2020, 10:13 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I play music.  I have a kick ass stereo system, and it rocks.  That's playing music, right?   Ninja

If you can run a cable out of that stereo and into your PC, press record, and then mumble over it while rhyming words, then you'll probably sell more records than real musicians these days.

Rant
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:13 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I play music.  I have a kick ass stereo system, and it rocks.  That's playing music, right?   Ninja

That's certainly my style at the moment! I did got out and get a nice Yamaha RX-V681 receiver, a 12 inch Klipsch powered sub, Cerwin-Vega 6.5 fronts and center, with Cerwin-Vega 4" surrounds, a new Yamaha 5 disc carousel to go with the Sony 5 disc, a new Audio Technica turntable, and scored a 1970s Bose turntable for the mancave. It's LOUD. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's certainly my style at the moment! I did got out and get a nice Yamaha RX-V681 receiver, a 12 inch Klipsch powered sub, Cerwin-Vega 6.5 fronts and center, with Cerwin-Vega 4" surrounds, a new Yamaha 5 disc carousel to go with the Sony 5 disc, a new Audio Technica turntable, and scored a 1970s Bose turntable for the mancave. It's LOUD. Ninja

You're making me salivate!  Oh the good days of loud and powerful components.   Rock On
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's certainly my style at the moment! I did got out and get a nice Yamaha RX-V681 receiver, a 12 inch Klipsch powered sub, Cerwin-Vega 6.5 fronts and center, with Cerwin-Vega 4" surrounds, a new Yamaha 5 disc carousel to go with the Sony 5 disc, a new Audio Technica turntable, and scored a 1970s Bose turntable for the mancave. It's LOUD. Ninja

Hell yeah, crank that Sinatra, brother! 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:22 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If you can run a cable out of that stereo and into your PC, press record, and then mumble over it while rhyming words, then you'll probably sell more records than real musicians these days.

Rant

Hell DJs make mad bank now!  No need to waste a mumble son.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:17 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: HUGE pro tip.

I always keep a guitar in my living room for this very reason.  It's either on a stand, where I'll just occasionally look over and have to pick it up, or it's lying on my couch.

I really like using "TV time" to work on the boring, mindless stuff.  A lot of times I'll just sit there doing right hand exercises, or running scales, without even really thinking about it.

I had a really bad habit when I was younger about not using alternate picking enough.  I really only used downstrokes unless I absolutely had to use.  I finally solved it a long time ago by just sitting there and trying running pretty much every single combination of picking while watching tv. It got fixed pretty quickly.

Working on those exercies in a normal practice routine would have really sucked.  When I sit down to actually play I want to play some tunes or just noodle.  But when I'm watching the tube I can just sit there and work on triplets and 16th notes, different scales, etc.  Stuff I generally hate to do otherwise.

I highly recommend everyone try this.  Even if it's just during commercials.  You can squeeze in a lot of extra boring work without even thinking  about it.

I always keep one (my new one right now) right next to my recliner so i just have to reach for it while i'm sitting here. One thing i do...well, the first thing i do and this was alluded to...don't ever play without making sure you are in tune first. 

If i'm just sitting here watching TV i'll always start by warming up by simply doing string exercises. 6th string 1,2,3,4. 5th string 1,2,3,4 and so on. Then i'll do 1,3,4 then 1,2,4 etc, for about 5 minutes (this is good for beginners because one of the most frustrating things starting off is coordination). After about 5 to 10 minutes of this, one thing i like to do--the point i was getting to--is i'll "play" something someone says. Or a jingle i hear on tv, by ear. You know, like you'll hear a jingle "the best part of waking up..etc" and i'll match that on the guitar without looking. That really helps with learning what sounds and pitches come from which part of the neck. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 12:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I always keep one (my new one right now) right next to my recliner so i just have to reach for it while i'm sitting here. One thing i do...well, the first thing i do and this was alluded to...don't ever play without making sure you are in tune first. 

If i'm just sitting here watching TV i'll always start by warming up by simply doing string exercises. 6th string 1,2,3,4. 5th string 1,2,3,4 and so on. Then i'll do 1,3,4 then 1,2,4 etc, for about 5 minutes (this is good for beginners because one of the most frustrating things starting off is coordination). After about 5 to 10 minutes of this, one thing i like to do--the point i was getting to--is i'll "play" something someone says. Or a jingle i hear on tv, by ear. You know, like you'll hear a jingle "the best part of waking up..etc" and i'll match that on the guitar without looking. That really helps with learning what sounds and pitches come from which part of the neck. 

Probably one of the truest things ever and BTW, if you are playing an acoustic, keep it out of the heat and out of the sun...

Especially if it is black. Goes out of tune crazy quick and you break strings easily.
Reply/Quote
I've been playing guitar since July of 1986 when I was 11 years old. My two main guitars right now is a Charvel DS-1 and an Epiphone '56 goldtop Les Paul reissue. I have two amps. One is a late 90s JCM2000 DSL 100 watt head. The other is a Marshall DSL CR 40/20 watt combo.

Fun fact- Me and Bengalsrocker have played with the same drummer in different bands.
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 12:09 AM)jmccracky Wrote: I've been playing guitar since July of 1986 when I was 11 years old. My two main guitars right now is a Charvel DS-1 and an Epiphone '56 goldtop Les Paul reissue. I have two amps. One is a late 90s JCM2000 DSL 100 watt head. The other is a Marshall DSL CR 40/20 watt combo.

Fun fact- Me and Bengalsrocker have played with the same drummer in different bands.

That is awesome, would like to get me a small Marshall like that. My Crate is just too damn big.

Love that fun fact. Cool
Reply/Quote
Let me first say I don't know a damn thing about guitars but I do have a question.

I bought my youngest daughter a $150 Yamaha Beginners guitar when she was 9 for her birthday. I didnt think she would actually keep at it...now shes almost 12 been taking lessons for around 2 years and ready to join the middle school band next year. I'm also surprised how well shes taken care of it. Her twin brother is getting the new Xbox so I decided it's time to get her a real intermediate level acoustic/electric guitar.

I've been looking at the Fender Redondo or Malibu and I'm wondering if that's the way to go and what type of Amplifier is best suited for that style of guitar for $150 to $200?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 05:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Let me first say I don't know a damn thing about guitars but I do have a question.

I bought my youngest daughter a $150 Yamaha Beginners guitar when she was 9 for her birthday. I didnt think she would actually keep at it...now shes almost 12 been taking lessons for around 2 years and ready to join the middle school band next year. I'm also surprised how well shes taken care of it. Her twin brother is getting the new Xbox so I decided it's time to get her a real intermediate level acoustic/electric guitar.

I've been looking at the Fender Redondo or Malibu and I'm wondering if that's the way to go and what type of Amplifier is best suited for that style of guitar for $150 to $200?

Two quick questions, and then I'll try to help if I can:

1.) Do you know if her beginner guitar that she currently uses is full size?  (If you can tell me the model number I'll look it up if you're not sure.  The model number will probably be on a sticker in the soundhole)

The reason I ask is, depending on her size, a full scale guitar might be uncomfortable for a little bit, at least until she's grown into it.  If she's on the small side, that model you've listed may be a little big. (Not necessarily the end of the world, but there are different body shapes and shorter necks that might be more comfortable)

2.) Does she need an amp to play with friends or outside of the house, or will she just be playing at home?

The reason I ask this, is there a lot of really nice options she can use with both headphones and to hook up to her computer. 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 08:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Two quick questions, and then I'll try to help if I can:

1.) Do you know if her beginner guitar that she currently uses is full size?  (If you can tell me the model number I'll look it up if you're not sure.  The model number will probably be on a sticker in the soundhole)

The reason I ask is, depending on her size, a full scale guitar might be uncomfortable for a little bit, at least until she's grown into it.  If she's on the small side, that model you've listed may be a little big. (Not necessarily the end of the world, but there are different body shapes and shorter necks that might be more comfortable)

2.) Does she need an amp to play with friends or outside of the house, or will she just be playing at home?

The reason I ask this, is there a lot of really nice options she can use with both headphones and to hook up to her computer. 

It's a Yamaha F335. I'm pretty sure it's full size because I was told to let her grow into it lol which she has...

As for the amp I'd like to get one for all purpose for the house and the school band.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 09:28 PM)Synric Wrote: It's a Yamaha F335. I'm pretty sure it's full size because I was told to let her grow into it lol which she has...

As for the amp I'd like to get one for all purpose for the house and the school band.

Oh, ok. Very good.  That F335 model she's been playing should be identical in shape to the model you're looking at. (We nerds call these Dreadnaughts)  It should fit like a glove.

So on to the amp portion...

So there's two main ways you can go with this.  Since you mentioned "all purpose" I think it would be best to go with just you're regular old guitar amp, as opposed to an amp specifically made for accoustic.

At the price point you're at, I really don't think you'll notice a difference in the quality of sound between the two even though she's playing an acoustic.  And if she ever decides to play an electic, she can she use what I'm recommending for either. 

Plus these come with a bunch of effects that she can make fun sounds with, and she can hook it up to her computer if she wants.  It's got headphones too, and an AUX, so if she ever wants to play along to songs with it or record or anything like that, then she can.

These are VERY popular little amps that people seem to love.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang1V2--fender-mustang-i-v2-20-watt-1x8-inch-modeling-combo-amp

It's not going to be terrible loud though, so you may want to check with her teacher or the school to see if there is a certain size they'd recommend.

Any more questions, let me know. Hope she loves whatever you decide to get her. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 09:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Oh, ok. Very good.  That F335 model she's been playing should be identical in shape to the model you're looking at. (We nerds call these Dreadnaughts)  It should fit like a glove.  

So on to the amp portion...

So there's two main ways you can go with this.  Since you mentioned "all purpose" I think it would be best to go with just you're regular old guitar amp, as opposed to an amp specifically made for accoustic.

At the price point you're at, I really don't think you'll notice a difference in the quality of sound between the two even though she's playing an acoustic.  And if she ever decides to play an electic, she can she use what I'm recommending for either. 

Plus these come with a bunch of effects that she can make fun sounds with, and she can hook it up to her computer if she wants.  It's got headphones too, and an AUX, so if she ever wants to play along to songs with it or record or anything like that, then she can.

These are VERY popular little amps that people seem to love.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang1V2--fender-mustang-i-v2-20-watt-1x8-inch-modeling-combo-amp

It's not going to be terrible loud though, so you may want to check with her teacher or the school to see if there is a certain size they'd recommend.

Any more questions, let me know. Hope she loves whatever you decide to get her. :andy:

Thank you. 

I wanted to get as similar style to the one she has because shes used to it but more customized. Better colors than straight black and her named detailed onto it lol... and Even though I know nothing about guitars I know Fender and Gibson are name brand lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 10:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Thank you. 

I wanted to get as similar style to the one she has because shes used to it but more customized. Better colors than straight black and her named detailed onto it lol... and Even though I know nothing about guitars I know Fender and Gibson are name brand lol.

That's awesome, man.  A new Fender guitar, and the new Xbox for your son... you're a good dad.

Not sure where you're planning on buying it from but they'll be some sales coming up all over the internet, with some coupon codes of 10% or 15% online. 

My recomondation would be to call up Sweetwater, rather than just order through their website, and explain to them you're looking to get the best deal you can on a couple things.  I would not be surprised at all if they just immiediatly gave you a discount over the phone.   They're a fantastic company, and you won't get a better price or better service online.
Reply/Quote
I only play the skin flute, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Trumpet and fluegelhorn here...
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 05:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Let me first say I don't know a damn thing about guitars but I do have a question.

I've been looking at the Fender Redondo or Malibu and I'm wondering if that's the way to go and what type of Amplifier is best suited for that style of guitar for $150 to $200.

Yamaha APTX2
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/APXT2-3-4-Thinline-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Guitar-Old-Violin-Sunburst-1361202708738.gc?source=4WWRWXGG&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwf39BRCCARIsALXWETwzoVfFNpJeXuXkD7KLbIvJ3Dr609F0Qx71a2vKvKFyABXt2aF9vt4aAhzpEALw_wcB

Fender Acoustasonic
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Acoustasonic-15-Acoustic-Combo-Amp.gc?rNtt=fender%20acoustasonic&index=4

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

I have an Ovation Celebrity that's easily 30ish years old. For my money, you can't get a better tone from an acoustic. 

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=acoustic%20electric&make=ovation

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 04:02 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I have an Ovation Celebrity that's easily 30ish years old. For my money, you can't get a better tone from an acoustic. 

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=acoustic%20electric&make=ovation

Ovations are high quality, played my buddies about 10 years back, I just don't like the round body.

Slides off your lap too easily if you don't have a strap.

BTW, bumped this thread for DrZ our newer member as he is also a geet man. Rock On
Reply/Quote