Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's willing...
to step back and press the reset button?

I'm an impatient person when there is something i want or something that's on the way to me. I've been a Bengals fan since 1978, so i've been through the gamut of emotions with this team. Even with all my whinings squealings, through the end of the Dalton and Marv era, through the early Zac era, i still get the feeling (mostly lately) that things could turn around--given a little...wait for it--patience. 

There it is, the word no one wants to hear or utter. 

What i'm saying it just this; take a minute to look over what the team has done since the beginning of last year and throw out the results for now, while trying hard to do it objectively. You may need to grab a cup of coffee and sit back for a minute. Maybe just clear your head and convince yourself you can do this...whatever it takes. 

The early returns of the Zac era aren't promising, when you look at he bottom line results but i think there are some things to look at and think, maybe, just maybe, the Bengals could be heading in the right direction, with some recent mis-steps along the way (dealing with players). 

I don't know. Just sit back for a minute, let your negative emotions and the losing record go for just a bit and let me know how you feel about where this thing is going. 

Seriously. I don't need to see snap reactions to this about how they suck, it's going nowhere, etc etc. 

Take a few minutes and get back to me. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I’m willing to press the reset button with a new proven coach or at least a coach who doesn’t keep his buddies on the staff long past their due date, but not with this clown telling us all the coaches are safe.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I would have patience if we were showing any improvement at all, but we are not. Zac has had 2 full drafts and 2 offseasons and we are still much worse than when he got here.
Reply/Quote
For me, I cannot stand our offensive or defensive philosophies. Too soft on both sides. That makes it harder for me to be patient, when I do not like HOW we play. And always finding new & creative ways to lose games we could win makes me have LESS confidence in the coaches, and makes me think we need some changes.

However, there are bright spots. Starting with the last draft class. Burrow has been mostly fantastic. Higgins can play. Logan Wilson has been steadily improving. Don't know if anyone else can start or not. Adeniji is getting tgrown to the fire. ADG & Kareem seem like they could be decent depth.

Beyond that? Well, Reader was good before getting hurt. AJ looks like a contributor again, but not at break thebank levels. Bates has had some really good games. Sample can contribute. And we have even seen some OL progress before the injuries.

The bad? Injuries. Blowing winnable games. Geno's production. No pass rush. Mediocre, at best, OL play. Poor LB play. We have a $12 million dollar 2 down back. Gio is better on passing downs.

I want playoffs next year. We need to take advantage of our cap situation with Burrow on a rookie deal.
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to be patient for now. ZT hasnt always impressed me, but despite the record, I think we are moving in the right direction right now. This team needed rebuilt when he took over, and it was more than a one offseason thing, especially with players like Dunlap and Atkins not playing as well as we all hoped. Those guys are getting old though, and this is the NFL. Shelf life.

Joe Burrow believes in ZT, and I think he knows what he's talking about. We have been within a play or 2 from having a pretty good record right now, and considering the injuries and falloff in play by players like Dunlap and Atkins, losing Waynes, etc. I think we are better off to be patient and see how this pans out.
Reply/Quote
For whatever reason, when i quit dipping the first of the year, it opened my perspective on life and prioritizing what matters most to me. It seems so much clearer now. That realization is that life is too short to let the Bengals (and many other things) have that much affect on my emotions. I just do not get upset/angry/depressed etc anymore. There's absolutely nothing I can do to make them better so I don't fret over it anymore.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
To the op, I’m not willing.

The drafting of burrow, and the way he has played thus far, has opened up a 5 year window for us to go for it. I don’t think all the holes this team has can be filled in the next draft/free agency cycle, but they can aggressively upgrade maybe 5 spots. 2 free agents and hitting on top 3 or 3/4 draft picks.

Coaching needs to be addressed. If zac stays, Lou needs to go and a “name” def coordinator needs brought in, if possible. Wade Phillips would be ideal if we could get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 03:56 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: For whatever reason, when i quit dipping the first of the year, it opened my perspective on life and prioritizing what matters most to me. It seems so much clearer now. That realization is that life is too short to let the Bengals (and many other things) have that much affect on my emotions. I just do not get upset/angry/depressed etc anymore. There's absolutely nothing I can do to make them better so I don't fret over it anymore.

There’s some places on line that sell full nicotine tobacco free dip. I switched to it, but they put some cayenne in it to give it a little burn and it tore my gums up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 03:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: to step back and press the reset button?

I'm an impatient person when there is something i want or something that's on the way to me. I've been a Bengals fan since 1978, so i've been through the gamut of emotions with this team. Even with all my whinings squealings, through the end of the Dalton and Marv era, through the early Zac era, i still get the feeling (mostly lately) that things could turn around--given a little...wait for it--patience. 

What i'm saying it just this; take a minute to look over what the team has done since the beginning of last year and throw out the results for now, while trying hard to do it objectively. You may need to grab a cup of coffee and sit back for a minute. Maybe just clear your head and convince yourself you can do this...whatever it takes. 

The early returns of the Zac era aren't promising, when you look at he bottom line results but i think there are some things to look at and think, maybe, just maybe, the Bengals could be heading in the right direction, with some recent mis-steps along the way (dealing with players). 

I don't know. Just sit back for a minute, let your negative emotions and the losing record go for just a bit and let me know how you feel about where this thing is going. 

Seriously. I don't need to see snap reactions to this about how they suck, it's going nowhere, etc etc. 

I don't have to set any reset button, I've said all along I think Taylor is taking this team in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would have patience if we were showing any improvement at all, but we are not. Zac has had 2 full drafts and 2 offseasons and we are still much worse than when he got here.

You keep saying that but it's not true. Many aspects of this team are vastly improved, and the fact that we are consistently in the game shows it.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I'm ok with giving him next season as long as the DC & OL coach go this offseason. He needs a fall guy or two.

Get the injured defensive guys back. Have another free agency and draft like last year with a focus on both lines. I think a Wild card spot is a possibility.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 03:58 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: To the op, I’m not willing.

The drafting of burrow, and the way he has played thus far, has opened up a 5 year window for us to go for it.  I don’t think all the holes this team has can be filled in the next draft/free agency cycle, but they can aggressively upgrade maybe 5 spots.  2 free agents and hitting on top 3 or 3/4 draft picks.

Coaching needs to be addressed.  If zac stays, Lou needs to go and a “name” def coordinator needs brought in, if possible.  Wade Phillips would be ideal if we could get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's well within reason to expect a run for the playoffs next year. I only highlight that for anyone that might think that's a bit too early. I'm speaking of patience right at this moment, through the end of the year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 03:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: to step back and press the reset button?

If I can say one positive about this 2020 team, I do think they look better this year compared to last year.
While they haven't won as many games as expected, I think they end with more wins than last year (even if just 1 or 2 more), and many of the games have been within 1 score.

People need to remember that Taylor is a first-time HC and also not much experience calling plays. Anarumo also isn't very experienced calling plays. They clearly weren't ready for their new roles right away, but it does seem like they are (slowly) growing?
Barring really nailing the offseason though, I do still think they are at least another year away from playoff contention.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would have patience if we were showing any improvement at all, but we are not. Zac has had 2 full drafts and 2 offseasons and we are still much worse than when he got here.

They are indeed showing improvement.  The offense is developing quite nicely, they are putting points on the board.  The defense, despite all of the injuries and recent controversy, has kept the team in all but one game so far.

You might want to only point out what is wrong with the team, but I see a team that is just a few plays going their way from having a winning record.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: There’s some places on line that sell full nicotine tobacco free dip. I switched to it, but they put some cayenne in it to give it a little burn and it tore my gums up.

Yes sir, I have a can of Zyn for when the occasional cravings hit. So weird, I can go weeks on in with 0 cravings then all the sudden I have a burning desire for one. Like wtf 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They are indeed showing improvement.  The offense is developing quite nicely, they are putting points on the board.  The defense, despite all of the injuries and recent controversy, has kept the team in all but one game so far.

You might want to only point out what is wrong with the team, but I see a team that is just a few plays going their way from having a winning record.

I agree with this. The offense is averaging just over 23 points per game right now, and that includes the Ravens game. That is moving in the right direction no doubt. We have some pieces and I think they have shown the ability to have a good offseason and so far it looks like they draft pretty good. Next year could look a lot different with another solid offseason. We are very close.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yes sir, I have a can of Zyn for when the occasional cravings hit. So weird, I can go weeks on in with 0 cravings then all the sudden I have a burning desire for one. Like wtf 

Well congrats on quitting. I have zero motivation to do so.

Reply/Quote
From the small sample size I've seen of Joe Burrow in the NFL, I'm convinced he has what it takes to be franchise NFL QB.

From the larger sample size I've seen of Zac Taylor, I'm not convinced he has what it takes to waiter for Dave Shula on a busy Saturday night at the family's steak house.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't have to set any reset button, I've said all along I think Taylor is taking this team in the right direction.

That’s where I’m at too. Although I don’t say it often because it’s not worth the arguments. I think he needed (and still needs) to bring in a proven DC. After that I think things are trending in the right direction even if some of these losses are extremely painful to watch.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 04:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well congrats on quitting. I have zero motivation to do so.

Ditto

Reply/Quote