Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who started the Who Dey chant?
I know there was a player who, in an interview, said something like (paraphrasing) who thinks they're going to beat the Bengals. I remember seeing a replay of it not too many years ago. But when I googled it all I see is how Hudepohl started it with Hu-day, or how people arguing over whether the Saints were first with Who Dat. Does anyone remember the player who originally said it? Bonus points if you can produce a you tube of it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:06 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I know there was a player who, in an interview, said something like (paraphrasing) who thinks they're going to beat the Bengals. I remember seeing a replay of it not too many years ago. But when I googled it all I see is how Hudepohl started it with Hu-day, or how people arguing over whether the Saints were first with Who Dat. Does anyone remember the player who originally said it? Bonus points if you can produce a you tube of it.

Every Saints fan I talk to always says they made it up first with the Who Dey saying...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:06 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I know there was a player who, in an interview, said something like (paraphrasing) who thinks they're going to beat the Bengals. I remember seeing a replay of it not too many years ago. But when I googled it all I see is how Hudepohl started it with Hu-day, or how people arguing over whether the Saints were first with Who Dat. Does anyone remember the player who originally said it? Bonus points if you can produce a you tube of it.

It's a bit of "both" when it comes to Bengals vs Saints.

Who Dat originated before Who Dey. The oldest documented use was in a New Orleans Daily Picayune article in 1852.
It was used in some Louisiana colleges and high schools before the Bengals existed.

But Who Dey started around 1981 with the Bengals, likely as an adaptation of Who Dat.
The Saints adopted Who Dat after the Bengals started Who Dey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dat%3F
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's a bit of "both" when it comes to Bengals vs Saints.

Who Dat originated before Who Dey. The oldest documented use was in a New Orleans Daily Picayune article in 1852.
It was used in some Louisiana colleges and high schools before the Bengals existed.

But Who Dey started around 1981 with the Bengals, likely as an adaptation of Who Dat.

^ I was coming here to say all of that right there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's a bit of "both" when it comes to Bengals vs Saints.

Did you mean 1952? I get that about Who Dat but I'm sure there was a Bengals player who start the whole Who Dey thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:13 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Did you mean 1952? I get that about Who Dat but I'm sure there was a Bengals player who start the whole Who Dey thing.

So your saying Dat Dey started it in the locker room? Ninja 

Please don't put me on your ignore list.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So your saying Dat Dey started it in the locker room? Ninja 

Please don't put me on your ignore list.

Not Dat. I think I'm the only person who remembers this player being interviewed, and yes I believe it was in the locker room after a game. And it was before Who Dey was even a thing. Isn't there someone out there who remembers this? 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:44 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Not Dat. I think I'm the only person who remembers this player being interviewed, and yes I believe it was in the locker room after a game. And it was before Who Dey was even a thing. Isn't there someone out there who remembers this? 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b761138003ad934d8cb81b5...y.gif&ct=g]

Reply/Quote
Maybe it was Susan Dey from that time the Partridge Family visited King's Island.

[Image: 0ac8bd9e4e23a52d7c42d11208644688.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b761138003ad934d8cb81b5...y.gif&ct=g]
I guess you're saying I missed your joke. LOL. I wasn't sure what you were saying.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Great post, thanks for explaining it.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:28 PM)magikod Wrote: Great post, thanks for explaining it.  Rock On

Except he didn't explain it the way I asked it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:56 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Maybe it was Susan Dey from that time the Partridge Family visited King's Island.

[Image: 0ac8bd9e4e23a52d7c42d11208644688.jpg]

So it was originally Sue Dey?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:38 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: So it was originally Sue Dey?

Didn't the Brady Bunch also go to Kings Island?

Reply/Quote

[Image: i-see-what-you-did-there-gif.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote

Sue Dey, Sue Dey, Sue Dey tink gonna beat dem Bengals!

Nope. Doesn't work.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:13 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Did you mean 1952? I get that about Who Dat but I'm sure there was a Bengals player who start the whole Who Dey thing.

It's not known who exactly started Who Dey. It's just known that it started around 1981.

And no, I meant 1852, as it shows in the link I provided.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Didn't the Brady Bunch also go to Kings Island?

Yes they did.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:30 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Except he didn't explain it the way I asked it. 

Per https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2010/02/who-dey_came_first_we_think.html

Quote:“The origin of ‘Who Dey’ is shrouded in mystery,” Brennan said. “I’ve tried my best to find out.”

He’s been asked about it many times and asked numerous people. And Brennan started covering the Bengals in the 1980s. The general consensus is that the phrase was around during the 1981 Super Bowl season. Forrest Gregg, the Bengals’ coach back then, has said he remembers the phrase during that season, Brennan said.
Dave Lapham, who was a Bengals offensive lineman in the 1970s and early ’80s, has been the team’s radio analyst for 24 years and has been associated with the Bengals for 34 years, said “Who Dey” started during the Bengals’ 1981 season.
“We won five in a row in November,” Lapham said. “There were signs and painted faces all over the stadium.”
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 10:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Per https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2010/02/who-dey_came_first_we_think.html

Thanks +rep
Reply/Quote