Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who started the Who Dey chant?
(01-14-2022, 10:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's not known who exactly started Who Dey. It's just known that it started around 1981.

And no, I meant 1852, as it shows in the link I provided.

My bad. I should have read the link.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 10:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Per https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2010/02/who-dey_came_first_we_think.html

Yes I saw that article in my research. Out there in cyber space is an interview with a Bengal saying something like who do they think gonna beat the Bengals. And I recall someone saying that that was the beginning of the phrase. I may be getting up there in years, 71 of them, but I know I saw that somewhere. I'll keep looking until I find it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 10:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: “The origin of ‘Who Dey’ is shrouded in mystery,” Brennan said. “I’ve tried my best to find out.”

He’s been asked about it many times and asked numerous people. And Brennan started covering the Bengals in the 1980s. The general consensus is that the phrase was around during the 1981 Super Bowl season. Forrest Gregg, the Bengals’ coach back then, has said he remembers the phrase during that season, Brennan said.
Dave Lapham, who was a Bengals offensive lineman in the 1970s and early ’80s, has been the team’s radio analyst for 24 years and has been associated with the Bengals for 34 years, said “Who Dey” started during the Bengals’ 1981 season.
“We won five in a row in November,” Lapham said. “There were signs and painted faces all over the stadium.”

The "November to Remember" we called it.  I got to witness them steam-rolling Denver in person on 11/22, my first ever Bengals game.  If people near me were chanting/saying 'Who Dey' at the time, it didn't resonate with me.  I wish I could remember.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Didn't it start cuz of that hudey Beer?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:26 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I guess you're saying I missed your joke. LOL. I wasn't sure what you were sayingThumbsUp

Don't worry, neither was he.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote