Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks that Americans are racist?
Everyone has some sort of prejudice to a degree. It's just relative. The US's strength is that we're far more diverse than many other places. Our weakness is we let that blind us to the work we need to finish.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-21-2017, 10:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol..... come on man. So...... sunset posts something that blows out your perception of this country..... and your response is to move the goal posts... lol.

I'm not moving the goal posts. What is being reported is a flawed inference from the survey. There is no way to accurately measure how racist a country is based on a question like that. You can gauge how acceptable racism is in that society, but because that will determine what a respondent will say more than their actual beliefs it is not a good measure of the prevalence of racism in any sort of way.

It should also be noted that one can be tolerant and still be racist. The study makes clear that they are measuring tolerance as tied to the Economic Freedom Index. So to interpret the results in this way is not accurate. There is a reason this was the closing statement in their study:

Quote:All this being said, we acknowledge that empirical research on topics such as how institutions and social variables like tolerance relate to each other is a thorny endeavour and recommend carefulness in interpreting the results.

Looking at social variables in general can be thorny, even trickier at times than physical science. That's all I am saying.
(08-22-2017, 01:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not moving the goal posts. What is being reported is a flawed inference from the survey. There is no way to accurately measure how racist a country is based on a question like that. You can gauge how acceptable racism is in that society, but because that will determine what a respondent will say more than their actual beliefs it is not a good measure of the prevalence of racism in any sort of way.

It should also be noted that one can be tolerant and still be racist. The study makes clear that they are measuring tolerance as tied to the Economic Freedom Index. So to interpret the results in this way is not accurate. There is a reason this was the closing statement in their study:

Looking at social variables in general can be thorny, even trickier at times than physical science. That's all I am saying.

That argument may hold water if you were surveying only one nation. The same question was posed to every nation in the survey so the question of social variables is all relative, therefore the results are relative.

Maybe this graph will meet your approval.

[Image: Cn_TGH-b_VYAAi_VLX.jpg]
(08-22-2017, 11:28 PM)Vlad Wrote: That argument may hold water if you were surveying only one nation. The same question was posed to every nation in the survey so the question of social variables is all relative, therefore the results are relative.

Maybe this graph will meet your approval.

[Image: Cn_TGH-b_VYAAi_VLX.jpg]

How would it hold water if it was only one nation, but not many? Surely you understand that societal norms can, and do, exist on a national scale as much as on a smaller scale. There are multiple layers of societal norms everywhere we go that are based on any number of the communities that we are members of. Things like this are often a norm that could be impacted at a higher level. Of course, you are also ignoring my argument that the study was a measurement of tolerance, not racism. One can be tolerant and still be racist, and so using the data from this study is erroneous from the onset.

And you're graph was done by someone that doesn't even understand what they are trying to mock as they used the wrong word.