Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who was it on here that made the thread last year about Sam Hubbard being the best DE
(05-27-2022, 04:38 PM)Housh Wrote: Against the run?

I remember someone producing a stat from PFF or something that ranked Hubbard as the leagues best DE in run support?

Does anyone remember this? Also does anyone know where he ranked this year? Did he take a step forward or did he regress?

I saw in 2019 he had like 8 sacks, then only had 2 in 2020, but had 7.5 this year. Those sack numbers aren’t crazy, so I’m wondering if Ossai really is healthy how much danger is Sam’s job realistically in?

Or would we consider pulling the trigger on the move to OLB, and make Wilson and Hubbard our outside backers?

He had a good year and is one of those guys you can take for granted if you are not careful. 

Plus the organization clearly loves him and is a big plus for the culture/locker room so he's not going anywhere right now.

When we had that run of playoff appearances with Marvin Lewis it was built from drafts where we just kept on picking up real solid, good production performers outside of rd 1 (rd 2-5).  Sam is right in that mould as a product rd3 starter ...kinda like Michael Johnson who equally was good .vs. the run but not a profilic pass rusher
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 03:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The OP said...

...so Hubbard's 40 time has to do with him simply not having LB speed, because I agreed he's not a LB.

Okay, I getcha.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 06:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice even if it is espn. Thought Sam was a much better pass rusher last year than in 2020 too.

He works his ass off every offseason in trying to perfect his game. Love his effort, one of my favorite Bengals ever already.

Same here..One of my favorites except for the commercial for First Star Logistics with Lapham.... Kind of lackluster as a spokesman there..  Yawn
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2022, 10:28 PM)grampahol Wrote: Same here..One of my favorites except for the commercial for First Star Logistics with Lapham.... Kind of lackluster as a spokesman there..  Yawn

Not a local so I haven't seen that lol
Reply/Quote
I don't give a shit what his PFF grades are - that strip sack against Mahomes in the AFC Championship is enough to never make me care if Hubbard has another sack in his career.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2022, 02:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't give a shit what his PFF grades are - that strip sack against Mahomes in the AFC Championship is enough to never make me care if Hubbard has another sack in his career.

That was an epic play and epic game for him. Hard to have a better one. Sam was a BEAST that day.
Reply/Quote
Ossai might be a good player...but, he's played like what 1 preseason game and looked good?

At some point, you all have to realize that what you see in preseason is largely useless in evaluating guys. They are playing against sub-NFL guys in many cases and the teams run vanilla schemes.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 02:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ossai might be a good player...but, he's played like what 1 preseason game and looked good?

At some point, you all have to realize that what you see in preseason is largely useless in evaluating guys. They are playing against sub-NFL guys in many cases and the teams run vanilla schemes.

Watch his college tape and don't get even a little excited about Ossai...

Dare you, Ossai was great at Texas at so many things. Always stood out on that Defense whenever I watched the Longhorns when 
he was there. He will make a lot of splash plays for us if he can stay healthy and that is the way he should be used. He CAN be an 
every down End if you need him to be but he is more of a player to spell others and blow up plays when he is fresh.

I know you are trying to tone down the excitement with this guy. So, he needs to stay healthy, we all know this.

We will see if he can. I think he could be great if he does.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watch his college tape and don't get even a little excited about Ossai...

Dare you, Ossai was great at Texas at so many things. Always stood out on that Defense whenever I watched the Longhorns when 
he was there. He will make a lot of splash plays for us if he can stay healthy and that is the way he should be used. He CAN be an 
every down End if you need him to be but he is more of a player to spell others and blow up plays when he is fresh.

I know you are trying to tone down the excitement with this guy. So, he needs to stay healthy, we all know this.

We will see if he can. I think he could be great if he does.

I was just going to post this same thing. His college tape speaks for itself. Even Mixon called him a monster player. Him coming in on 3rd down to rush with fresh legs is going to be a nightmare for opposing QB's. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2022, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That was an epic play and epic game for him. Hard to have a better one. Sam was a BEAST that day.

It was a play that makes a career.

He wasn’t supposed to rush. He followed his instinct and i truly believe if he doesn’t rush Mahommes there, Mahommes would’ve found someone and beat us.

He saw that the secondary had everyone covered and he trusted them to do it for 3 more seconds. That play is honestly a microcosm of the 2021-2022 Cincinnati Bengals. They really did everything for each other with no ego. I know we won’t have such a selfless roster for long so it’s fun to enjoy it. No other team would have a WR3 as good as Boyd and that guy not throw a fit every week on the field
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:38 PM)Housh Wrote: Against the run?

I remember someone producing a stat from PFF or something that ranked Hubbard as the leagues best DE in run support?

Does anyone remember this? Also does anyone know where he ranked this year? Did he take a step forward or did he regress?

I saw in 2019 he had like 8 sacks, then only had 2 in 2020, but had 7.5 this year. Those sack numbers aren’t crazy, so I’m wondering if Ossai really is healthy how much danger is Sam’s job realistically in?

Or would we consider pulling the trigger on the move to OLB, and make Wilson and Hubbard our outside backers?

Ossai pressing sammy and trey for snaps is definitely ideal.  Hubbard is a mean motor scooter,  hopefully Ossai is too.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2022, 02:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't give a shit what his PFF grades are - that strip sack against Mahomes in the AFC Championship is enough to never make me care if Hubbard has another sack in his career.

I feel like if we're heading into the 2024 season and he has back-to-back years of playing and starting for the Bengals and getting 0.0 sacks, you'll be right up there in line with the rest of us demanding he get cut to save $6m in cap space. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watch his college tape and don't get even a little excited about Ossai...

Dare you, 

(06-05-2022, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was just going to post this same thing. His college tape speaks for itself.

I don't mean to bash Ossai, but I am pretty sure that every NFL scout watched his college game tape and he still lasted to the third round.  #69 is pretty damn close to the second round, but if he was as dominating as you all claim I think he would have gone higher. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2022, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was just going to post this same thing. His college tape speaks for itself. Even Mixon called him a monster player. Him coming in on 3rd down to rush with fresh legs is going to be a nightmare for opposing QB's. 

Yes sir Sled, just as long as he can stay healthy which is the only question after last year.

(06-05-2022, 12:17 PM)Housh Wrote: It was a play that makes a career.

He wasn’t supposed to rush. He followed his instinct and i truly believe if he doesn’t rush Mahommes there, Mahommes would’ve found someone and beat us.

He saw that the secondary had everyone covered and he trusted them to do it for 3 more seconds. That play is honestly a microcosm of the 2021-2022 Cincinnati Bengals. They really did everything for each other with no ego. I know we won’t have such a selfless roster for long so it’s fun to enjoy it. No other team would have a WR3 as good as Boyd and that guy not throw a fit every week on the field

No doubt. Great discipline on that play that game and honestly most all the season from Sam last year.

Namely when playing running QB's like Lamar and I know Mahomes isn't quite Lamar but he can still run and hurt you.

Sam doesn't let that happen.

(06-05-2022, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to bash Ossai, but I am pretty sure that every NFL scout watched his college game tape and he still lasted to the third round.  #69 is pretty damn close to the second round, but if he was as dominating as you all claim I think he would have gone higher. 

I was so surprised Ossai made it even past the mid 2nd, let alone all the way to us in the early 3rd.

And you can say that about tons of players that became the greatest at their positions ever.

You and I say it all the time, the Draft is a crapshoot. 

I have a feeling all those teams that passed on Ossai will regret it for years.
Reply/Quote