Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who we keeping at LBer ?
(01-15-2019, 02:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Evans is like the #6 LBer on nearly every team out there. I think we can upgrade from him fairly easily.

Evans has some good traits, but there's a reason he went so late in the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To me we only have 3 that I would keep Vigil, Jefferson, and Evans.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We should keep James Francis, Reggie Williams and Jim LeClair.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Obviously LBer was one of our very weak spots this past season. For the purposes of this list let's assume we get two starters this off season, one from top of draft and a free agent. Who from this list do we keep ?

Preston Brown
Vontaze Burfict
Jordan Evans  
Malik Jefferson
Hardy Nickerson
Vincent Rey
Nick Vigil
Chris Worley

Brown and Rey are both unrestricted free agents. Burfict just needs to go for the benefit of all. Nickerson is just awful !

To me the keep list is small:

Vigil - I could see him being serviceable paired with two good LBers.
Jefferson - 3rd round pick, is he really that bad that he couldn't move one of these others out ?
Brown - I'm on the bubble about ? If the price was right I guess ?

I think with a new LB coach we might be better off than we think but we definately need a couple more talented LB's as you say, one in FA and one preferably with an early pick. KJ Wright and talented young guy would go a long way in fixing this core which was our biggest weakness last year. Just happy we moved on from Haslett. I mean Evans might be decent under a new LB coach you never know.

Would be awesome if we could get Malik's head in the game, he is very talented.

I would bring back Preston.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Evans has some good traits, but there's a reason he went so late in the draft.

Yep....we have been making do for so long at LB with undrafted guys, mid/late picks, re-treads but this year it really bit us back.

We have to invest in the draft in either rd 1 or 2.  

Good news is that LB seems to be one of those positions where a rookie can come in and make a difference and start from week 1 so its perhaps a quicker turnaround then say the OL has/is turning out to be.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:19 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: We should keep James Francis, Reggie Williams and Jim LeClair.

LOL..Is Kirby Criswell out of jail yet?

What we should do is see who the DC and LB coaches are, then we will see via the drfat and free agnecy what they think is salvagable from this horrible crew. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
We should try and get White from LSU. Immediate impact, IMO.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:05 PM)jason Wrote: Call it blind faith. Call me an idiot. I'm not ready to pull the plug on Burfict just yet. He looked spent, but I'd give him an off-season, a full camp, and actually play him in the preseason... See what happens.

I like Vigil. He's shown nothing, but it's too soon to quit on Jefferson. Maybe keep Brown if the price is right... The rest can kick rocks.

.... but they must assume for planning purposes he is not available - to not do so would be negligent.

If he can contribute then that's a bonus but they need to hit a rd1 or rd2 linebacker in the worst way.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:31 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: We should try and get White from LSU. Immediate impact, IMO.

Yes sir, this should be the pick if he is there.

Get Seantrel Henderson and KJ Wright in FA, draft White and go O-lineman in the 2nd, TE in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Obviously LBer was one of our very weak spots this past season. For the purposes of this list let's assume we get two starters this off season, one from top of draft and a free agent. Who from this list do we keep ?

Preston Brown
Vontaze Burfict
Jordan Evans  
Malik Jefferson
Hardy Nickerson
Vincent Rey
Nick Vigil
Chris Worley

Brown and Rey are both unrestricted free agents. Burfict just needs to go for the benefit of all. Nickerson is just awful !

Jefferson - 3rd round pick, is he really that bad that he couldn't move one of these others out ?

I keep Vigil  Evans Jefferson

See About burficts Health
Chris Worley at least gets an invite to camp to compete.
Offer Brown a new 1 or 2 year deal to see if Haslam was the issue as Brown was very good for the bills.

I let nickerson go...      Vinney Rey is tough id like to see him replaced with an upgrade   but I would rather someone beat him in camp than not.  maybe let him test the waters and if cold offer him a 1 year deal to compete in camp.
Reply/Quote
Who we move on from really boils down to one thing, who we draft or hire in FA. If Burfict comes back next year healthy, there is no way we are moving on from him, when he's on he's one of the best in the game. A new coach that will not put up with his crap is what he needs. Jordan Evans is extremely gifted as an athlete, a decent linebackers coach is all he needs... same with Jefferson. Vigil is solid when healthy, as is Preston Brown.  All those guys will be back.....
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:33 PM)sonofstat Wrote: .... but they must assume for planning purposes he is not available - to not do so would be negligent.

If he can contribute then that's a bonus but they need to hit a rd1 or rd2 linebacker in the worst way.

Oh I know... I want White in the first.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:26 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Yep....we have been making do for so long at LB with undrafted guys, mid/late picks, re-treads but this year it really bit us back.

We have to invest in the draft in either rd 1 or 2.  

Good news is that LB seems to be one of those positions where a rookie can come in and make a difference and start from week 1 so its perhaps a quicker turnaround then say the OL has/is turning out to be.

There are also a decent amount of FA LBs that could be good to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I always liked Rey. I’m may be in the minority but I feel like he’s a quality guy off the bench and wouldn’t mind keeping him if the price is right.
Reply/Quote
Burn it all to the ground.

Throw Jefferson on the PS since he apparently can't beat out Nickerson or Evans for the #2-#3 LB spots, and say goodbye to the rest.

The LB group really need to be rebuilt entirely.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's tons better than people give him credit for; feast or famine guy that looks awesome when he's on and less than stellar when he's not.

He gets kept.

Vigil
Evans
Brown
Jefferson

Those are the sure keeps.

This as long as Brown comes at a reasonable price.
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that the backers for the Bengals had a horrible coach in Haslett.

Who they keep will depend on the upcoming draft. But my hope is the Bengals draft White (LSU) which is the MLB. I think Brown is too slow for SAM. Jefferson is an in-the-box straight line backer in terms of his speed. He does not have talent in reads. I don't know where he would fit. I don't want to give up on Jefferson however, I just don't know where he fits. In addition, the Bengals were decimated at backer position and Jefferson could not get on the field, that speaks volumes. Jefferson was placed on IR on 12/23.

I would keep Vigil, Evans, Jefferson (because he was a rookie, so there is hope and can be used on special teams)
Even if the Bengals draft White (who is blue chip stud), they still need 1-2 more backers that can play.

I am done with Burfict.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 03:56 PM)motoarch Wrote: I always liked Rey.  I’m may be in the minority but I feel like he’s a quality guy off the bench and wouldn’t mind keeping him if the price is right.

Oh, I do too.....but if he couldn't take snaps away from Hardy Nickerson, maybe he doesn't have anything left in the tank.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 04:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This as long as Brown comes at a reasonable price.

I would think Brown would come at a good price. He wasn’t that much this year, and I doubt many teams would offer him a big raise based on his 2018 production which was down due to injury.
Reply/Quote

Preston Brown
Vontaze Burfict
Jordan Evans  
Malik Jefferson
Hardy Nickerson
Vincent Rey
Nick Vigil
Chris Worley

Gosh, that really is a sad list isn't it. Maybe keep Vigil and resign Brown if he is healthy?
Reply/Quote