Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who we keeping at LBer ?
(01-15-2019, 03:19 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: We should keep James Francis, Reggie Williams and Jim LeClair.

James Francis was one of my favs back in the day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I keep wanting Evans to surprise me, but all he did was let me down last season. Still on the fence about him.
Vigil is worth keeping and so is Jefferson. Brown and Worley I'd keep also.
I was pissed we cut Joseph last preseason and kept Nickerson, now that Merv is gone and so is his good ol'boy network, Nickerson can't be shown the door fast enough. Rey, love ya but hang it up buddy. Burfict, I'd wait on to see what's left in the tank.

Burfict is never going to return to his previous play. No counting his suspentsons every time he lays a hit on someone he gets a concussion. I don't know what linebackers will be available but for his 10 million salary we should get someone who can contribute more than Vontaze does. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:21 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Burfict is never going to return to his previous play. No counting his suspentsons every time he lays a hit on someone he gets a concussion. I don't know what linebackers will be available but for his 10 million salary we should get someone who can contribute more than Vontaze does. 

How much dead money would there be from releasing him?  Could play into the decision.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:24 PM)McC Wrote: How much dead money would there be from releasing him?  Could play into the decision.

Ten million salary with $1.8 million dead cap money. Paid him almost that in just two of the games he missed this year. When he was healthy he was a liability at best. Could take that money and get two players of his ability.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:35 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Ten million salary with $1.8 million dead cap money. Paid him almost that in just two of the games he missed this year. When he was healthy he was a liability at best. Could take that money and get two players of his ability.

He really needs to retire for health reasons.  Each concussion makes the next one easier to get.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:21 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Burfict is never going to return to his previous play. No counting his suspentsons every time he lays a hit on someone he gets a concussion. I don't know what linebackers will be available but for his 10 million salary we should get someone who can contribute more than Vontaze does. 

1. I loved the swag Burfict brought to this D !

2. I'm no doctor but I'd say he should retire for his health. If I understand it right he's past the point that he'll just keep getting concussions easier and easier.

3. From a team perspective at some point you have to weigh what he actually brings to the table and the fact is he's unreliable. Not only the suspensions and games missed for injury. I don't think I've ever seen a player walk off the field injured more than Burfict did this season ?

We need to move on
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:24 PM)McC Wrote: How much dead money would there be from releasing him?  Could play into the decision.

$1.8 million dead cap money. Paid him almost that in just two of the games he missed this year. When he was healthy he was a liability at best. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 1. I loved the swag Burfict brought to this D !

2. I'm no doctor but I'd say he should retire for his health. If I understand it right he's past the point that he'll just keep getting concussions easier and easier.

3. From a team perspective at some point you have to weigh what he actually brings to the table and the fact is he's unreliable. Not only the suspensions and games missed for injury. I don't think I've ever seen a player walk off the field injured more than Burfict did this season ?

We need to move on

You know, it seemed like even the officials moved on from him.  They didn't have the heart to pile on.  It was a sad sight to behold.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 1. I loved the swag Burfict brought to this D !

We need to move on

1.  This.

2.  This.

3.  And this.

Was it 3 years ago when all of the NFL news in the off season was about concussions and the end of football as we know it?  If this was happening back then the media yappers would be accusing the Bengals of attempted murder if they dared asked Burfict to play again.
Reply/Quote
Vigil
Evans
Jefferson
Worley
High draft pick
Good FA

I’ll give the young athletic guys more time with a better coach than Haslett.
Reply/Quote
The bad thing is that there are a lot of names on that list and there isn’t one must keep or one guy that I would be aggravated about losing. That’s pretty bad.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: James Francis was one of my favs back in the day.

Mine too.

Had a great rookie season when we won our last playoff game.  (78 tlks, 8 sacks, an int td, and a safety)

Thought he was going to be a big star, but that ended up being about the best year of his career.  He never had more than 6 sacks in a season again.
Reply/Quote
Being a Georgia Bulldogs fan and living in the Carolina's

What would anyone think of taking on Thomas Davis for a year or two?
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:39 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The bad thing is that there are a lot of names on that list and there isn’t one must keep or one guy that I would be aggravated about losing. That’s pretty bad.

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

We don't have ONE linebacker who can run, cover and tackle.

If it were up to me, I'd pick only LB and OL in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 09:47 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Same here. Maybe a TE if a good one falls to us.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Vigil
Evans
Jefferson
Worley
High draft pick
Good FA

I’ll give the young athletic guys more time with a better coach than Haslett.

Spot on.  I'd settle for two above average FA LBs though over one good one if need be.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 08:39 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The bad thing is that there are a lot of names on that list and there isn’t one must keep or one guy that I would be aggravated about losing. That’s pretty bad.

Indeed

(01-16-2019, 09:47 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Yep, In my mind we have to have at least two quality starters at both positions.

(01-16-2019, 09:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Same here. Maybe a TE if a good one falls to us.

A run stuffing NT wouldn't be bad either.
Reply/Quote
Not really sure I get why everyone is wanting Burfict gone? I would at least bring him into camp and see how it goes.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: i don't think vigil is really that bad tbh.

Vigil is an average to above average linebacker IMO. Easily are best one this year when he was healthy. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's tons better than people give him credit for; feast or famine guy that looks awesome when he's on and less than stellar when he's not.

He gets kept.

Vigil
Evans
Brown
Jefferson

Those are the sure keeps.

Maybe Worley if he can actually contribute on defensive snaps, instead of just STs.

Draft one to put us at 6 LBs (or get another if Worley is not retained) and call it a day; it needs work, but it shouldn't be the most heavily-invested part of the team.

They need to be only competent.

This. Plus, how much can we hold some of these guys accountable for the scheme?  Sure, a missed tackle is a missed tackle, but I want my LBs flying all over the place.  If you miss, fine, but if you think you see something, try to make a play.  I know he was a safety, but I have never seen a player that played so free and would make more impact plays than Troy Palumolu.  That kid was amazing.  Sure, he led with his head on tackles and probably won't know who he is in 5 years, but his play was amazing. 

A good example of a Bengal that would make mistakes but played fast and hard is Odell Thurman.  He wasn't the classic Thumper, but at 6'0", 230 lbs, that guy was a menace.  He had 5 INTs and 5 FF in his rookie season.  Sure, he had tons of issues off the field, sadly, that ended his career, but I remember Marv would always be on him to play more disciplined and I was thinking "Shut up, Marv! Take a page our of Jimmy Johnson's playbook!" He wanted guys to be playmakers and play fast, not timid.
Reply/Quote