Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whole Lotta Change
What are your thoughts on how things have transpired so far this off-season?
How much better do you expect the Bengals to be as a result these changes?

Additions
DT- DJ Reader
LB- Josh Bynes
CB- Trae Waynes
CB- Mackensie Alexander
CB- LeShaun Sims
CB- Winston Rose
CB- Tony Brown
SS- Vonn Bell
OG- Xavier Sua-F'ilo
WR- Mike Thomas

Subtractions
TE- Tyler Eifert
OT- Cordy Glenn
OG- John Miller
DT- Andrew Billings 
LB- Nick Vigil
SS- Clayton Fejedelem 
CB- Darqueze Dennard 
CB- BW Webb
CB- Tony McRae
Reply/Quote
This still won't end the narrative that the Bengals are cheap and never make important signings in FA...but it should.
Reply/Quote
Bengals FO have exceeded my expectations. Last year, I would have been happy with the Bynes signing as a big upgrade. The defensive approach to the FA indicates the Bengals will fix the OL, LB positions in the draft. Pick #33 just got more interesting. I could see they trading back for extra 4th round picks. They need two backers and the rest offense.

The exciting aspect of the signings is that they are smart signings of players in their prime. Well done front office.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At least 5 new starters added. We have never seen an offseason like this before. Nice to see the Bengals spend money to improve the team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
How weird is it to identify a serious issue, like atrocious tackling, for instance, and then go address it? If we can somehow put an end to the middle of our defense being a playground with picnic area for TE's and RB's, I fear my head may explode with glee.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
In previous years, we woulda re-signed Billings and Vigil, because, you know, we like to keep our own guys. Woulda tried to keep dennard, but he wanted to leave so he would've gotten away and we would've signed a cheap tier 4 free agent replacement to play slot. Then Hobson would be writing articles about how we have no more cap room to add anyone else making more than the minimum
Reply/Quote
Just a complete roster turnover addressing every weakness on Defense while adding a decent LG and good ST'ers to the
#1 unit in the league? This is by far the most unprecedented Free Agency period I have ever seen being a Bengals fan and
I have been one since I was born 37 years ago.

We opened up the Draft and it will be so much fun and we can not be ignored with us getting the first overall pick while the
record breaking Franchise QB is coming in. Take notice is what they did this Offseason. This is Zac Taylor's team now that
he is building, Lou got his proven players in FA and now Zac can build a great Offense through the Draft for the future.

Burrow will be happy to see all of this as we all are. This is what we needed to do to ensure him we are going for the Title.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 08:50 PM)Mobster Wrote: In previous years, we woulda re-signed Billings and Vigil, because, you know, we like to keep our own guys. Woulda tried to keep dennard, but he wanted to leave so he would've gotten away and we would've signed a cheap tier 4 free agent replacement to play slot. Then Hobson would be writing articles about how we have no more cap room to add anyone else making more than the minimum

Yep.  How weird is it that Hobspin has nothing to spin?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 08:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just a complete roster turnover addressing every weakness on Defense while adding a decent LG and good ST'ers to the
#1 unit in the league? This is by far the most unprecedented Free Agency period I have ever seen being a Bengals fan and
I have been one since I was born 37 years ago.

We opened up the Draft and it will be so much fun and we can not be ignored with us getting the first overall pick while the
record breaking Franchise QB is coming in. Take notice is what they did this Offseason. This is Zac Taylor's team now that
he is building, Lou got his proven players in FA and now Zac can build a great Offense through the Draft for the future.

Burrow will be happy to see all of this as we all are. This is what we needed to do to ensure him we are going for the Title.

With some good draft picks and even decent luck on the player health front, we could be right back in the thick of things.

Reply/Quote
This is unprecedented in the Mike Brown era. I think the FO finally gave the HC pull and we are seeing the results. There’s no doubt in my mind Marvin could have had some playoff wins if he wasn’t forced to improve through the draft. I say, “Welcome to the Zac Taylor error.”

Zac coached last year and watched a lot of film no doubt. But he got to see the hearts and minds of his players up close and personal. He is making this his team and I freaken love it. We are a lot better and we haven’t drafted yet. We are in store for some very great things. I’m not saying everyone that’s gone or will go doesn’t, or didn’t have heart. I’m just saying after you coach them, you know who fits and who doesn’t fit.

Reply/Quote
So, I've been quarantined for the last two weeks and reading a lot of the signings. (Sidenote: I'm friggin excited).

But I had a thought: maybe Mike wasnt the reason we were so darn cheap. Maybe it was... Marvin.

I get the obvious question: why would any coach ham string himself by not signing big free agents?

Well, here's my thought. Marvin Lewis signed on 30+ years ago (that's what it felt like). He hires in and Mike, citing not wanting to go spending crazy, nixes some potential signings. As time goes on, Marvin gets more roster control, but he doesn't realise his spending limit has increased, too. Mike, as a lot of bosses do, think his feelings are known and doesn't really express it. Instead, he goes off the recommendation of his coach.

Maybe Mike Brown isn't the cheapest guy in the world, maybe Marvin just wasn't good at asking to use the checkbook?
Reply/Quote
For a life long Bengals fan, this is a "Whole lotta Change", and I think that I like it. We Bengal loyalists had gotten so accustomed to the same old "build through the draft, resign the best that we develop and fill in the holes with cheap, aging free agents", that it is somewhat shocking to see the Bengals in full revival mode.

It's been long overdue, as perpetuating any plan that fails to yield positive results on a consistent basis is futile. I really think that the organization would have liked to have done this transformation last year, but the dead money on some of the contracts would simply have made it impossible to pull off.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The team was bad last year. The old ways were to maintain the status quo. This feels different. I like the roster turnover and Zac seemingly working to build his team, make it his roster.
Reply/Quote
I am extremely impressed. The biggest signing was Reader, obviously. Nobody here saw it coming. But this was the most effective way to fix our run game, and our defensive line. He’ll free everyone else up along the line, and make life easier on our backers.

Then they follow that up by signing a host of secondary players that can tackle and track in the run game—as well as cover. Really smart when you consider how much we’ve struggled against the run and Lamar Jackson, specifically.

All these guys are smart and play great positionally. Hobson just pointed out they are all from playoff teams. Bynes is the perfect leader for our young backer core. Again, smart. Always in position. Tackles well. He may not be athletically gifted, but he knows how to play positionally. Bring in some more linebackers to develop behind him.

Also sounds like we’ll play more 3 safety looks. This could improve our coverage of tight ends and running backs, and add some speed to our perimeter run defense.

They had an obvious plan, it was well thought out—smart. They weren’t afraid to spend. I see Dalton being moved and Dre as well. They can add more depth and focus on a more balanced draft strategy.

I still see safety as a pick if its the best player available. Definitely a possibility at the top of the second as well as edge, linebacker and offensive line. I’m thinking there will be a run on wide receiver at the bottom of the 1st most likely pushing that position to later rounds.

Should be able to lock up Mixon and then later in the offseason AJ. Im thinking Mixon for 4 and Aj 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:07 PM)Benton Wrote: So, I've been quarantined for the last two weeks and reading a lot of the signings. (Sidenote: I'm friggin excited).

But I had a thought: maybe Mike wasnt the reason we were so darn cheap. Maybe it was... Marvin.

I get the obvious question: why would any coach ham string himself by not signing big free agents?

Well, here's my thought. Marvin Lewis signed on 30+ years ago (that's what it felt like). He hires in and Mike, citing not wanting to go spending crazy, nixes some potential signings. As time goes on, Marvin gets more roster control, but he doesn't realise his spending limit has increased, too. Mike, as a lot of bosses do, think his feelings are known and doesn't really express it. Instead, he goes off the recommendation of his coach.

Maybe Mike Brown isn't the cheapest guy in the world, maybe Marvin just wasn't good at asking to use the checkbook?

Maybe Marvin just didn’t like the idea of trying to tell a high priced signing from somewhere else how to fall in line? I think there may be something here. He was fiercely loyal maybe it was about getting his “program” guys chances.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to life with a QB on the rookie wage scale. Better capitalize in that brief window
Reply/Quote
I won't lie. This has been incredibly impressive. In my wildest dreams, I would've never expected to see the Bengals be this active in free agency. I've been seeing on Twitter that they're closing in on a deal with Jason Peters as well. This is awesome!

I will happily eat my serving of crow for what I've previously said about not spending or being in win now mode. They certainly have stepped up and made efforts to improve. There's no way anyone can say they're cheap this season. They really seem to be going for it.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe Marvin just didn’t like the idea of trying to tell a high priced signing from somewhere else how to fall in line? I think there may be something here. He was fiercely loyal maybe it was about getting his “program” guys chances.

Well, Marvin did seem to lack the authority to reign in the T-Ocho show...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:07 PM)Benton Wrote: So, I've been quarantined for the last two weeks and reading a lot of the signings. (Sidenote: I'm friggin excited).

I think you're onto something here. I wonder if part of the issue with Marvin was his ego. "I can coach these guys up. I can take Nick Vigil and make him into Ray Lewis, just like I made Ray Lewis into Ray Lewis." The prima dona coach didn't want any "prima dona" free agents, when he could build through the draft.

Well, so much for that. 

What I appreciate about Zac Taylor and his staff is how honest they were in their assessment of the talent they had to work with. Whether it was because of circumstances or a matter of choice they did they right thing. They took a year to REALLY assess the talent level on this team. After their brutally honest assessment of the team and it's talent, they made the decision to make a total overhaul of the defense, filling key positions with proven quality players that will lay the foundation for the 2021 draft. The 2020 draft is going to be dedicated to a youth movement on offense that starts with Joe Burrow. 

2020 will be the year we win our first playoff game in over 20 years.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

The Bengals run the organization in a cheap way, but the lack of free agents wasn’t cheapness, it was laziness. You have to spend a minimum amount, they just didn’t want to bust their asses doing it.

I’d still like to see a change in the organizational cheapness, but hats off on giving it their best shot to fix the roster.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote