Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whole wheat pasta
I eat whole wheat bread and prefer it to white bread. I will admit that this was a bit of an "acquired" taste because I was raised on white bread and can remember a time when I did not like the taste of whole wheat bread.

But for some reason i just can not get used to whole wheat pasta (specifically spaghetti) i have bought it on a regular basis, but I still don't like it.

Does this make sense to any of you?
Reply/Quote
I eat pretty much whole wheat everything nowadays. The health benefits are just too great to pass up for such a small lifestyle change.

I agree with you, though. I really enjoy whole wheat bread but whole wheat pasta just doesn't do it for me. I still eat it, though.

I think its a texture thing along with a taste thing. The texture is much more rigid than normal pasta and the taste is much more grainy.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Don't like the whole wheat spaghetti either. But I did try a multi-grain, high fiber spaghetti that was as good as traditional. Damned if I can tell you the brand, but it was a major brand like Del Monte or Barilla. Look for the words 'high fiber and multigrain' on the box.

As for bread, have you tried Oatmeal, like what Pepperidge Farm sells? It kind of bridges the gap between white and whole wheat taste-wise, and I like the health benefits from oats.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Spaghetti squash FTW. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 04:50 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I eat pretty much whole wheat everything nowadays. The health benefits are just too great to pass up for such a small lifestyle change.

I agree with you, though. I really enjoy whole wheat bread but whole wheat pasta just doesn't do it for me. I still eat it, though.

I think its a texture thing along with a taste thing. The texture is much more rigid than normal pasta and the taste is much more grainy.

Perfect description.  I would say that if someone doesn't like whole wheat pasta it's for the exact reasons you mentioned.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:08 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Spaghetti squash FTW. ThumbsUp

I keep on saying I need to try this. My problem is that I lack confidence in most everything I do, and if it was just for me I'd try it, but my wife has to eat it to and she is much pickier than I am. So I'm always concerned I'll make something she won't eat.
Reply/Quote
It's probably either an acquired taste or a matter of getting used to. I've cut out all products that are made from flour.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
We switched to whole wheat spaghetti because it's what Costco started selling, but we like it. I haven't really noticed any grainy texture to it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 05:20 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We switched to whole wheat spaghetti because it's what Costco started selling, but we like it. I haven't really noticed any grainy texture to it.

You can hit a sweet spot in cooking it where there isn't that texture. Problem for me is that I like mine a little al dente, and that just turns out horribly with whole wheat pasta. But I suck it up.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 05:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You can hit a sweet spot in cooking it where there isn't that texture. Problem for me is that I like mine a little al dente, and that just turns out horribly with whole wheat pasta. But I suck it up.

My wife prefers al dente pasta, but I always overcook it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I eat whole wheat bread and prefer it to white bread.  I will admit that this was a bit of an "acquired" taste because I was raised on white bread and can remember a time when I did not like the taste of whole wheat bread.

But for some reason i just can not get used to whole wheat pasta (specifically spaghetti)  i have bought it on a regular basis, but I still don't like it.  

I can't bring myself to purchase whole wheat pasta, even though I know I should.  Now if I found a whole wheat bucatini, I might give it a shot because the shape could help with the graininess discussed here.

I know WW pasta's need to be cooked slightly longer than regular pasta though
Reply/Quote
It is not the texture with me. It is the taste. I can taste a big difference between whoite bread and whole wheat bread, but I actually prefer the taste of whole wheat bread. I can also taste a big difference with whoile wheat pasta, but for some reason I don't like that stronger, sharper taste in pasta.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 04:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I keep on saying I need to try this. My problem is that I lack confidence in most everything I do, and if it was just for me I'd try it, but my wife has to eat it to and she is much pickier than I am. So I'm always concerned I'll make something she won't eat.

Cuts your carbs by 75% bro.....for guys like us, it's a God send.  FWIW, you can do what the wife and I do.....eat the spaghetti squash, then make a little bit of noodles for the kids.  You could eat the squash, and the misses could have regular noodles.  Win, win.  Spaghetti squash is not that hard to do.  Just bake it in the oven, scrape it out with a fork, and mix in a little butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning while it's still warm and enjoy.  It takes a little getting used to, but once you have, you won't even miss the pasta.  Carbs in whole wheat pasta are nearly identical to regular pasta.  I thought I was doing well by switching to whole grain, and eating oatmeal every morning.  I was wrong, my numbers improved drastically when I went to oatmeal and grains sparingly.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cuts your carbs by 75% bro.....for guys like us, it's a God send.  FWIW, you can do what the wife and I do.....eat the spaghetti squash, then make a little bit of noodles for the kids.  You could eat the squash, and the misses could have regular noodles.  Win, win.  Spaghetti squash is not that hard to do.  Just bake it in the oven, scrape it out with a fork, and mix in a little butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning while it's still warm and enjoy.  It takes a little getting used to, but once you have, you won't even miss the pasta.  Carbs in whole wheat pasta are nearly identical to regular pasta.  I thought I was doing well by switching to whole grain, and eating oatmeal every morning.  I was wrong, my numbers improved drastically when I went to oatmeal and grains sparingly.

There are as many carbs, but more nutrients such as fiber. Whole wheat is significantly better for you than regular. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There are as many carbs, but more nutrients such as fiber. Whole wheat is significantly better for you than regular. 

I think Wyche is diabetic.  So for him the carbs are much more crucial.

But, yeah, whole wheat is better for you for reasons other than carbs.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Wyche is diabetic.  So for him the carbs are much more crucial.

Yup....gotta watch my carbs and sugars...if you're going to eat any carbs....you are much better off getting the nutrients that come with less refined grains.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There are as many carbs, but more nutrients such as fiber. Whole wheat is significantly better for you than regular. 

(01-21-2016, 03:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Wyche is diabetic.  So for him the carbs are much more crucial.

(01-21-2016, 06:59 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yup....gotta watch my carbs and sugars...if you're going to eat any carbs....you are much better off getting the nutrients that come with less refined grains.

Yeah, us diabetic types have some different things to watch for. That being said, often times dietary fiber can help offset carbs and fill you up quicker making you eat less, however the fiber found in pasta isn't as beneficial. The way it was explained to me is that it is more tightly packed in things like whole grains and so it is of minimal impact nutrient wise. It isn't as soluble. The fiber from veggies is more soluble and so provides the nutrients and other benefits much more effectively.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I eat whole wheat bread and prefer it to white bread.  I will admit that this was a bit of an "acquired" taste because I was raised on white bread and can remember a time when I did not like the taste of whole wheat bread.

But for some reason i just can not get used to whole wheat pasta (specifically spaghetti)  i have bought it on a regular basis, but I still don't like it.  

Yes it does.  What brands have you tried?
Reply/Quote