Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Whoopi Goldberg Says The Holocaust Was "Not About Race"
I'm surprised she was suspended for this, considering truth isn't really too important to the left, but, in one of the most surprising comments, even for her, Whoopi Goldberg said the Holocaust "was not about race."

Quote:Goldberg made the comments Monday morning while the panel was discussing a Tennessee school board’s banning of “Maus,” a graphic novel about the Nazi death camps.

"It’s about the Holocaust, the killing of six million people, but that didn’t bother you?" she said. "If you’re going to do this, then let’s be truthful about it. Because the Holocaust isn’t about race. No, it’s not about race.”

Another host, Joy Behar, responded that the Nazis described Jews as a different race.

"But it’s not about race," Goldberg said. "It’s not. It’s about man’s inhumanity to other man."

When another host said that white supremacy was behind the Holocaust — and that Nazis targeted Jewish and Roma people — Goldberg said those are “white groups of people.” When a third host pointed out that the Nazis didn’t view Jews as white, Goldberg said she was “missing the point.”

"The minute you turn it into race, it goes down this alley," Goldberg said. "Let’s talk about it for what it is. It’s how people treat each other. It’s a problem.”

Goldberg apologized hours later.

"On today’s show, I said the Holocaust ‘is not about race, but about man’s inhumanity to man,’" she said. "I should have said it is about both. As Jonathan Greenblatt from the Anti-Defamation League shared, ‘The Holocaust was about the Nazi’s systematic annihilation of the Jewish people — who they deemed to be an inferior race.’ I stand corrected."

A representative for Goldberg did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

On Wednesday, Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, told CNN that Goldberg's suspension should be an opportunity for her and the talk show "to engage in some education and introspection."

"When Whoopi apologized, not once, but twice, I accepted her apology," Greenblatt said. "I think she delivered it sincerely. I don’t think her intent was malevolent."

He added: "While she made a mistake, we need to recognize that all of us can do that, and if you apologize, you know, I think there’s an opportunity for repentance."

Of all the stupid comments she has made, this is what finally crossed the line. That show is loaded with stupid comments, but this was just unbelievable.

I guess she doesn't know that, in Mein Kampf, Hitler specifically says that it is a great lie that Jews are just a religion and are a "race of parasites."

She has doubled down in interviews that it was just white people murdering white people.

Like I've said, the Democratic party will destroy itself because, with no set of standards and no objective realities, you can't have any solid base for your party.

This was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and I'm glad that people finally took a stand against her but I'm wondering how long it will last.
Reply/Quote
 What logic are you using to associate her comments with "democrats" and "the left"?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How do you come back from that and expect anyone to take you seriously tomorrow?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 08:05 PM)treee Wrote:  What logic are you using to associate her comments with "democrats" and "the left"?

I don't know that you can associate her ignorance with the Dems as a whole, although Omar expressed antisemitic statements to the point that her party felt compelled to condemn antisemitism (didn't mention her by name for some reason).  As for "the left" Goldberg, not her real name, is most certainly a deep left leaning person, so ascribing her comments to "the left" is absolutely no different than ascribing Carlson's statements to "the right."
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 09:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't know that you can associate her ignorance with the Dems as a whole, although Omar expressed antisemitic statements to the point that her party felt compelled to condemn antisemitism (didn't mention her by name for some reason).  As for "the left" Goldberg, not her real name, is most certainly a deep left leaning person, so ascribing her comments to "the left" is absolutely no different than ascribing Carlson's statements to "the right."
Good Post

(02-02-2022, 08:05 PM)treee Wrote:  What logic are you using to associate her comments with "democrats" and "the left"?
What he said 
Reply/Quote
Goldberg/Danson 2024
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 10:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Goldberg/Danson 2024

Get Trudeau, Kimmel and Silverman in the cabinet and you've got a blackface cornucopia.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 08:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How do you come back from that and expect anyone to take you seriously tomorrow?

Because she's a Democrat, which is a party where facts don't matter and you can say or do anything you want.
Reply/Quote

The same logic that people use whenever someone on a right leaning show says something stupid and its ascribed to "republicans" and the "right." 

What Whoopi said was dumb, but it doesn't warrant a suspension. It is funny watching the people who love to cancel get pissed about one of their own being cancelled though. 
Reply/Quote
What the hell happened to her? She looks terrible. And you just don't talk about the Holocaust. You just don't do it.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:56 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Get Trudeau, Kimmel and Silverman in the cabinet and you've got a blackface cornucopia.   Cool

Don't forget C. Thomas Howell and Robert Downey Jr.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 08:55 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: The same logic that people use whenever someone on a right leaning show says something stupid and its ascribed to "republicans" and the "right." 

What Whoopi said was dumb, but it doesn't warrant a suspension. It is funny watching the people who love to cancel get pissed about one of their own being cancelled though. 

Im pretty sure every republican is in Dallas drinking their own piss and bleach and waiting for JFK Jr and Michael Jackson to arrest Tom Hanks and save the universe from baby eating liberal commies from Mars.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 01:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because she's a Democrat, which is a party where facts don't matter and you can say or do anything you want.

Good thing facts matter to Republicans though. Bwahahahaha.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 01:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because she's a Democrat, which is a party where facts don't matter and you can say or do anything you want.

You're making democrats sound like the party of freedom.

Side note, I do believe the ultra right take on this is that she spoke the truth and was suspended due to pressure from the Jewish-controlled media powers that be. 
Reply/Quote
On the left, there are two things that you, ideally, want to avoid when discussing the oppression that certain minorities of people have experienced from the government and/or the "elites" of any given country during any given time period.

1. A class reductionist
2. A race reductionist

A class reductionist is a leftist who believes that all the problems in the country, whether it be poverty, police violence, prison sentencing etc, that are purportedly related to race, are actually entirely based on class. Black people are more commonly poor relative to white people, which puts them in situations where racism is enacted upon them (black people are often poor -> poor people are often in lower income areas -> lower income areas have higher crime due to desperation of poverty -> thus black people are involved in more crime which results in them being killed by police at a higher rate) therefore if you fix class issues, racism will just work itself out naturally. This is not a desirable leftist because they're ignoring things that did occur explicitly because of race, such as segregation, redlining, the inability to vote for centuries, slavery etc which most likely still reverberate into today's age. It makes you sound ignorant when you say racism can be solved by ending poverty because it doesn't address why black people are more commonly poor in the first place.

A race reductionist, on the other hand, believes that the only problems in society are race related and cannot be solved until racism is solved. They usually assume that any problem that occurs, socially, has a conscious or subconscious relation to race and, often times, when they say "race" they mean easily recognizable attributes like skin color. If you are Hispanic, for example, but are white passing, a race reductionist would likely not consider you a minority, at least not to the extent that systemic racism affects you. This is not a desirable leftist because they often get baited into conspiracy theory level mind loops, like believing that cops, as a whole, lick their lips at the opportunity to kill black people because they just hate black people.

I am not calling Whoopi a race reductionist, because I don't know her or most of her stances or beliefs other than what she has said openly, but I do think the left kind of has a bias when it comes to race that it must only apply to people who are visually a minority. If something happens to a group of people who look like white people, such as many Jews do, by people who also look like white people, I think a fair number of people on the left would say it isn't racism, it's just hatred. They even go as far as trying to re-define words to make their points. For example, have you ever heard someone say "Black people can't be racist. They can only be prejudice. Because racism is inherently driven by a power dynamic" or something along those lines? That is a race reductionist line of thinking. They re-define racism to mean the same thing as "systemic racism" as a way to forgive black people if they say or do something racist. It's a kind of hierarchical thinking that I believe should be removed from the left and given back to the right, where it belongs.

With all that said, I don't think Whoopi said this with any malice or ill intent. I just think she was ignorant to the Nazis' ideology and, in the moment, reverted to that "race is only a visual indicator" mindset that is ingrained pretty deeply in the left. She apologized and it seemed sincere and I assume she won't make that same mistake again.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 10:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: You're making democrats sound like the party of freedom.

Side note, I do believe the ultra right take on this is that she spoke the truth and was suspended due to pressure from the Jewish-controlled media powers that be. 

You think anyone believes that she is right?

Anyways, typical Democrat trying to somehow shift the blame to Republicans. 

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You think anyone believes that she is right?

Rolleyes

See, that's a reading comprehension problem on your part.

He didn't "blame republicans" for anything.  He said there is a subgroup of republicans that (probably) AGREE with what she said...given the white supremacist groups that strongly support Trump and his ilk, thus it isn't a "Democrat" thing alone.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: See, that's a reading comprehension problem on your part.

He didn't "blame republicans" for anything.  He said there is a subgroup of republicans that (probably) AGREE with what she said...given the white supremacist groups that strongly support Trump and his ilk, thus it isn't a "Democrat" thing alone.

He's just trying to shift the blame and take the attention off of Whoopi. That was my point.

That's what I meant by "blame."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You think anyone believes that she is right?

Rolleyes

If I were a typical Democrat, Gary Johnson would be president.  I think your generalization skills need refining. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's just trying to shift the blame and take the attention off of Whoopi. That was my point.

That's what I meant by "blame."

I've been accused of many things, but "defender of Whoopi Goldberg" is a ridiculous new watermark.  You're on fire today. 
Reply/Quote