Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters
One thing I will say, after watching this team play with the lineup they have, I think Terry Bradshaw is right on the mark, when he calls Mike Tomlin an 'average' coach, at best.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: One thing I will say, after watching this team play with the lineup they have, I think Terry Bradshaw is right on the mark, when he calls Mike Tomlin an 'average' coach, at best.

They're roster is definitely better than their record this year. I'll say that.

Then again...the Patriots should be undefeated. Does that make Belicheck a bad coach?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Prior to Mike taking over, the Bengals were 21-20 vs the Steelers.

Since Mike took over, they are 14-40 and 5-23 at home (including 2 PO games).

Mellow

The Steelers are one area (along with playoff wins) that we didn't improve in after hiring Marvin.

Pre-Marvin: 6-18 (.250)  *Mike started off 0-8
With Marvin: 8-22 (.267)

Our best success came during the Blake/Pickens/Scott era. Over those 5 seasons (1995-1999), we went 5-5 against the Steelers. In 1998, we went 3-13 while sweeping the Steelers.

Sadly, Jeff Blake has a better record against the Steelers (4-6) than Palmer (4-8) or Dalton (3-8). Mostly sad because Blake played on far worse teams, but also because he wasn't the QB that Palmer and Dalton are/were.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 09:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They have played the Steelers tougher on the road in recent years, which definitely gives me hope they can win tomorrow.

However, I don't think this game, or the win-loss record overall will matter as far as Marvin's future here. He's 8-22 against the Steelers, 0-7 in the postseason and has struggled mightily in big stage / prime time games. None of that has deterred Mike and Katie in the slightest. The only thing that almost kept Marvin from returning was 'amount of control' issues after the 2010 season.

I think Marvin's future depends on Marvin. If he wants to be back, he will be back.

I think you are probably right, but even Marvin looks so tired and finished I think he may be the primary reason there is not an extension in place. You never know though, the lack of extension is coming from one side or the other maybe Katie convinced daddy it is time?!?!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:39 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: If we get more than one sack I'll be pleasantly surprised. We always play a different game when we play Pittsburgh, and it's usually not a good one. 

Called it.

It's like I saw what Marvin coached teams do against Pittsburgh a few times before oh wait...  Mellow

Fire this worthless f***ing clown already  
Reply/Quote
Yep. Fire Marvin now that we have a roster in shambles.

The time to fire him was 2 years ago when our roster was good!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:08 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Called it.

It's like I saw what Marvin coached teams do against Pittsburgh a few times before oh wait...  Mellow

Fire this worthless f***ing clown already  

I think Marvin, being a Pennsylvania native, has a soft spot for the Steelers. Hence he doesn't mind losing to them. It's the only explanation I can come up with on why he has such a poor record against them. That and just absolute horrible preparation, in game adjustments, horrible challenges, and just plain horrible leadership. Just a theory.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Fire Marvin now that we have a roster in shambles.

The time to fire him was 2 years ago when our roster was good!
Agreed. Actually I'd say the real time to do it was 2010.
(10-22-2017, 11:15 PM)car91 Wrote: I think Marvin, being a Pennsylvania native, has a soft spot for the Steelers. Hence he doesn't mind losing to them. It's the only explanation I can come up with on why he has such a poor record against them. That and just absolute horrible preparation, in game adjustments, horrible challenges, and just plain horrible leadership. Just a theory.

Yep. I was one of the first to bring up this theory. And each time we lose to them I wonder more and more. I don't believe Marv intentionally tries to lose to Pitt, I think it's more of a subconscious thing. Think about it: if any of us for some reason (God forbid) became a coach of the steelers... Can you honestly say you'd be able to go all out and happily crush the bengals? I know I couldn't...
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:15 PM)car91 Wrote: I think Marvin, being a Pennsylvania native, has a soft spot for the Steelers. Hence he doesn't mind losing to them. It's the only explanation I can come up with on why he has such a poor record against them. That and just absolute horrible preparation, in game adjustments, horrible challenges, and just plain horrible leadership. Just a theory.

To be fair, he won both of his challenges yesterday!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote