Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Didn't Hill Have Two Hands On The Ball?
You'd think it would be common sense, as those of us that played football learned in the third grade, but, with Hill's fumbling problems, didn't the coaches preach that to him before he ran out onto the field? Before he went out, Marvin and Hue, along with the damn water boy, should have been in his ear saying "wrap up with two arms, We don't give a shit if you don't gain a single yard, just DON'T fumble."

And then even McCarron in the huddle should have been preaching it.

Why didn't they work on it in practice?

Like I said, it should have been common sense, but, when a guy has a fumblin problem, it's obviously not.

[Image: aid40334-728px-Catch-a-Football-Step-5-Version-2.jpg]
There were three things I was going to respond with, but I'd be a hypocrite without responding with we gotta move on. I know you're bringing up a topic that poses a reasonable answer but lets move onto FA and the draft and hope the kid redeems himself especially vs Pitt this year.
No need to ask this question.

However, I wouldn't say he has a fumbling problem. He had what, 3? The production is more worrisome to me.

I would take more fumbles if he ran the way he ran on that play every play. Sure hold onto the ball, but if he had ran with the same passion, aggression and determination that he ran on that play, then we would have won that game hands down. His production would have been through the roof.
We may never know..

In the end we lost and now time to move on..
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Is Jeremy Hill a member here? I believe he is the only one who could answer this question.
Because hes not good.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(02-09-2016, 10:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You'd think it would be common sense, as those of us that played football learned in the third grade, but, with Hill's fumbling problems, didn't the coaches preach that to him before he ran out onto the field?  Before he went out, Marvin and Hue, along with the damn water boy, should have been in his ear saying "wrap up with two arms,  We don't give a shit if you don't gain a single yard, just DON'T fumble."

Like I said, it should have been common sense, but, when a guy has a fumblin problem, it's obviously not.

Hill admitted that he had an issue and it needed to get fixed when interviewed back in September.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/19092/bengals-jeremy-hill-giovani-bernard-benching-message-sent-performance

Perhaps the coaches and team felt ball security was a no-brainer, especially if Hill worked on fumbling issues during the regular season already.

At some point, you have to trust that people on your team know what to do.

Responsibility should fall on Hill, he's admitted he made a mistake, and it's time to move on.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-10-2016, 12:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hill admitted that he had an issue and it needed to get fixed when interviewed back in September.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/19092/bengals-jeremy-hill-giovani-bernard-benching-message-sent-performance

Perhaps the coaches and team felt ball security was a no-brainer, especially if Hill worked on fumbling issues during the regular season already.

Responsibility should fall on Hill, he's admitted he made a mistake, and it's time to move on.

Until someone comes out and says "I told him to keep two hands on the ball", we will never know.  Doing some would not be very good sportsmanship and would likely cause a rift in the locker room, so better we don't know.
(02-09-2016, 10:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: [Image: aid40334-728px-Catch-a-Football-Step-5-Version-2.jpg]

Well this picture is "wikiHow to CATCH a Football".... Ninja
(02-10-2016, 02:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well this picture is "wikiHow to CATCH a Football".... Ninja

Which is remarkably similar to "wikiHow to snap a neck"....  Ninja
(02-09-2016, 10:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You'd think it would be common sense, as those of us that played football learned in the third grade, but, with Hill's fumbling problems, didn't the coaches preach that to him before he ran out onto the field?  Before he went out, Marvin and Hue, along with the damn water boy, should have been in his ear saying "wrap up with two arms,  We don't give a shit if you don't gain a single yard, just DON'T fumble."

Lap talked about it on the radio a couple weeks ago. He said that with the letdown season Hill was having, he was trying to hit home runs every time we touched the ball. He wanted to redeem himself, and just couldn't not go for it when he saw a sliver of daylight... It was a stupid decision, and he deserves some serious criticism, but a part of me feels for the guy.

I know I've certainly pushed bad decision making when I've been utterly frustrated. This stupid act, hopefully, won't define him. How he attacks the off season might, though.
(02-10-2016, 10:54 AM)Harmening Wrote: Is Jeremy Hill a member here?  I believe he is the only one who could answer this question.

Exactly.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
...we just have to move on...it truly does suck in every possible situation, never forget the lesson.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
I can tell you one thing for sure... If Gio had been available, he would have carried that football.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.

So these players below should never carry the ball in that position since they had the same or more fumbles than Hill this year.. also do you know that is the first time Hill has fumbled in his two years with under the two minutes to go in the game

Bobby Rainey

Adrian Peterson

Melvin Gordon

Matt Jones

Doug Martin

James Starks

Ameer Abdullah

Chris Ivory

Frank Gore

Latavius Murray

Eddie Lacy

DeAngelo Williams

Darren McFadden

Tre Mason

Marcus Murphy

Tevin Coleman

Jonathan Stewart

Rashad Jennings

Ronnie Hillman

Devonta Freeman

Denard Robinson

Ryan Mathews

Todd Gurley

Jamaal Charles
(02-10-2016, 10:54 AM)Harmening Wrote: Is Jeremy Hill a member here?  I believe he is the only one who could answer this question.
No one ever discussed why players or coaches did certain things on the field?

Noted.

I've been going about this whole message board thing entirely the wrong way.
(02-10-2016, 12:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hill admitted that he had an issue and it needed to get fixed when interviewed back in September.

I know it's on Hill, but, when a guy has had a problem, you don't ignore it and just treat it like the monkey in the room, you grab him and say "put two hands on the ball.  Hell, if you feel anyone around you, just dive on the ground."
(02-10-2016, 02:43 PM)gobobro Wrote: Lap talked about it on the radio a couple weeks ago. He said that with the letdown season Hill was having, he was trying to hit home runs every time we touched the ball. He wanted to redeem himself, and just couldn't not go for it when he saw a sliver of daylight... It was a stupid decision, and he deserves some serious criticism, but a part of me feels for the guy.

I know I've certainly pushed bad decision making when I've been utterly frustrated. This stupid act, hopefully, won't define him. How he attacks the off season might, though.
Part of me feels for the guy, but part of me is still also bitter as hell because I sat in my wheelchair in the crippled section watching the game, was almost in tears of happiness when we intercepted that ball, to being in almost tears of sadness when Hill fumbled.  

We didn't need a homerun there, though.  He needs to understand that.  He had what, 5 or 6 yards?  He can also run for yards with two hands on the ball, which granted that it's much harder, but he has to understand.

The way he reacted when Burfict got the penalty, I'm pretty sure he won't make that mistake again, but who knows, because I didn't think there was any way he'd fumble away the city's spirit in that situation.  
(02-10-2016, 06:04 PM)Utts Wrote: I can tell you one thing for sure... If Gio had been available, he would have carried that football.

I keep forgetting he was hurt.
Well Marvin's teams arent known for smarts in crunch time, especially on the big stage, so just goes with the other dumb things we saw ie Peko getting a 15 yarder coming off the sideline.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(02-10-2016, 06:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No one ever discussed why players or coaches did certain things on the field?

Noted.

I've been going about this whole message board thing entirely the wrong way.

I'm all for discussion. 
The title of your thread was a question, to which I replied that I believe the only one with the truest answer would be Jeremy Hill. 
Not worth acting pissy over. 
Backs are trained from the time they are 10 to fight for every inch.

But in the higher levels of football, and certainly the NFL, you have to train yourself to react in a situational way. Jeremy has not done that yet. Something breaks your concentration, and your old instincts take over. It's time for him to develop the focus we need in those situations and make ball security his priority.

All that aside, I wanted McCarron to keep it, but not kneel down, just edge forward and get on the ground. Kneeling would have lost us maybe three yards on three downs. I assume we wanted to kick a field goal, and we were on the 26. That would have been a 43-yarder. Edging forward could have turned it into a 40-yarder, whereas kneeling could have turned it into a 46-yarder. Even at that, we would have forced use of all the Steeler timeouts.

Even if we had missed, it would have been hard for them to advance far enough for the field goal with no timeouts.

But if we make it, which was highly probable, they need a touchdown with no timeouts left. Also we squib kick and take even more time off the clock.

Hill should have done the job, but there was more safety in keeping our offense to one exchange ... from the center to the quarterback.

OK, that's it for me. On to the signing of our free agents and the draft.
(02-10-2016, 07:18 PM)Harmening Wrote: I'm all for discussion. 
The title of your thread was a question, to which I replied that I believe the only one with the truest answer would be Jeremy Hill. 
Not worth acting pissy over. 

Do you respond in that manner with every post that ever asks what someone was thinking?  Usually they're a lot less objective than this and can't even begin to be answered in a way that people in this thread have offered.  

Not worth being a troll, which you are a well known one when it comes to my posts.