Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Didn't I Feel That Bad ???
(02-16-2022, 10:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: If it wasn't for that bullshit call, I would've been slightly disappointed that we lost (we came so close) but recognized we had a helluva year. That call, though, makes it hard to swallow the loss. I'm getting to the point where I can celebrate our accomplishments this year (like Burrow said in his post-game presser), but I'm not quite there, yet.

We literally got a free 75 yard touchdown from the refs

99 times out of 100, that’s opi or face mask.

Stop whining
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:18 AM)kevin Wrote: Even with my brother on the phone after the game, being his normal bring down, sadistic, negative, horses rear end.

Much like the movie City Slickers : The Legend Of Curly's Gold.  After it was over.  As my brother on the phone trying to make it worse. I said like in the movie, " Why Don't I Feel Worse ".  

Much like the movie, it was a great adventure. Back in summer I had hoped the Bengals would rise up from 4 wins and maybe get 8 wins. I hoped Joe Burrow would be OK after his surgery. I hoped the O Line wouldn't get him injured again. He did end up the most sacked quarterback in the NFL. Somehow he survived the season. The Bengals had a great season, made the play-offs.  Then for first time in 31 years the Bengals WON in the Play-Offs. That nightmare streak ended. Then the Bengals won 3 Play-Off Games in all to WIN THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP.  Then Bengals went to The SUPER BOWL.  They had the lead in second half, but lost at end of game by 3 points. They played hard and gave it their all. Joe Burrow came out of the season pretty healthy, which was a huge concern of mine.  The team went farther than anyone expected back last Summer.

Maybe at age 67, I'm just getting older.  Maybe after my Mom and later my Wife dying, nothing is that bad.  Still, that's NOT it.  The real truth is that I enjoyed the season.  The Bengals played 21 games, plus preseason. I really enjoyed this season.  I just don't feel that bad after the Super Bowl.  Much like the Legend Of Curly's Gold, I had fun, it was a great adventure, a fun season.

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger

I didn't feel bad but i completely and fully saw just how close they were. I singular block away from a SB and they had 2 guys to do it.

Part of that "completely and fully" is that, they may never play in a SB again. They were right there with only one guy to block to make a play to win the game. 

Once it was over i was like, "well, they almost did it. maybe next year" then cleaned up a little and went about my night. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:22 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It was probably the worst I've felt after a Bengals loss in my lifetime,  but this was the only Bengal SB I've been alive for. There's definitely a silver lining, but damn we had that game IMO

For me, 2015 was much, much worse. I don't remember '81 very well, but '88 hurt a lot. This one hurt, but I know this team isn't done and I can't see us having to wait another 33 years for another chance.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:37 PM)Earendil Wrote: For me, 2015 was much, much worse. I don't remember '81 very well, but '88 hurt a lot. This one hurt, but I know this team isn't done and I can't see us having to wait another 33 years for another chance.

2015 was bad too, but I didn't have any expectations since we had a backup QB. The next football season needs to hurry and get here because I think Burrow and this team will have a big chip on their shoulder. I'm crossing my fingers for another good off-season this year, plus a full healthy off-season for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:37 PM)Earendil Wrote: For me, 2015 was much, much worse. I don't remember '81 very well, but '88 hurt a lot. This one hurt, but I know this team isn't done and I can't see us having to wait another 33 years for another chance.

I'd have to agree. That was terrible.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 06:08 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: 2015 was bad too, but I didn't have any expectations since we had a backup QB. The next football season needs to hurry and get here because I think Burrow and this team will have a big chip on their shoulder. I'm crossing my fingers for another good off-season this year, plus a full healthy off-season for Burrow.

What's funny is that 2015 stings almost as bad as losing this Super Bowl.

What an epic shit-show of a meltdown that I can't even erase it even with years removed and good things on the horizon.

I think because the stupidity level and rollercoaster of emotions from losing to that bastard team is what made it so bad.

Strange but I can't deny it.  Makes me want to punch a wall just thinking about it!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It was a fun ride that caught most all of us by surprise.

Very proud of this Bengals squad and the season they delivered us.

Would have loved to have not seen midnight arrive on this Cinderella team who laid their heart and soul on the line for our entertainment.

Yet the rest of the story was magical so Im not too bummed.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 06:08 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: 2015 was bad too, but I didn't have any expectations since we had a backup QB. The next football season needs to hurry and get here because I think Burrow and this team will have a big chip on their shoulder. I'm crossing my fingers for another good off-season this year, plus a full healthy off-season for Burrow.

Don't wish away time. Summer and spring will be sweet this year!
Reply/Quote
Sorry for the deaths in your family, yes it puts things into perspective.

When I was younger, I used to feel bad at school on Monday when the Bengals lost (obviously regular season games). I felt that same pain again, but this time only after the Superbowl loss, so I think I've also changed.
Reply/Quote
The more I think about it the less I'm concerned about the actual outcome and score of the game. It was a really fun season of football watching and rooting for us. For others not so much, but we've been there as well. Only a small segment of society gets to truly celebrate the super bowl winner or the world series winner, etc. That means the overwhelming majority of our population is sorely disappointed which really seems kind of unfair in the grand scheme of things. 
The ride was a lot of fun. Does anyone really celebrate once the roller coaster stops to let everyone off?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:55 PM)CincyDog Wrote: Stop whining

Poster who joined the board this month and with 29 posts nastily calling out a Hall of Fame poster. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:32 PM)Nepa Wrote: Poster who joined the board this month and with 29 posts nastily calling out a Hall of Fame poster. 

Oh please many of us have called out PhilHos, although I would have left him alone if he left me alone lol! Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: The more I think about it the less I'm concerned about the actual outcome and score of the game. It was a really fun season of football watching and rooting for us. For others not so much, but we've been there as well. Only a small segment of society gets to truly celebrate the super bowl winner or the world series winner, etc. That means the overwhelming majority of our population is sorely disappointed which really seems kind of unfair in the grand scheme of things. 
The ride was a lot of fun. Does anyone really celebrate once the roller coaster stops to let everyone off?

Yea, if I forget about who won or lost that Super Bowl, I think that Bengals team easily could have won that Super Bowl. It's a different way to look at it. Most people can't remember the team that loss (outside of Bengals fans) but I think most NFL fans will remember this because we haven't won a super bowl yet. It does feel good that I could have seen us winning the super bowl though, it wasn't like we got routed, or didn't even make it.

2nd place is first loser, I've always thought this, lol. If we got destroyed in the super bowl it would have hurt less. I can imagine a world where we won and I wouldn't have been surprised. That is worth something. I do think most sane NFL fans also could see we could have won that game.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 08:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: What's funny is that 2015 stings almost as bad as losing this Super Bowl.

What an epic shit-show of a meltdown that I can't even erase it even with years removed and good things on the horizon.

I think because the stupidity level and rollercoaster of emotions from losing to that bastard team is what made it so bad.

Strange but I can't deny it.  Makes me want to punch a wall just thinking about it!

For me, 2015 was worse and it isn't even close. It genuinely changed me as a fan. All of my favorite teams have let me down (Bengals, Oregon Ducks, OKC Thunder) but that was by far the worst. 
Reply/Quote
I think 2015 is different because Andy didn't play in the game. That was a great season. I don't think we expected to get where we got today, back then, with our backup QB. Burrow has done something insane with our current team, shattering even fan's expectations which are usually out of wack (Clevelanders think they're going to the super bowl every year the last 10 years).

I know this would never happen but when Gronk said he would come to Cincy, I thought sure, Gronk can come, replace sample, and we'll take Brady as backup QB. Lol
Reply/Quote
Honestly, the only thing that's still really bumming me out is the statistic regarding teams losing the Super Bowl and making it back. It's not great. So if this was their best shot at the crown, and they missed it, that's the pill that's hard to swallow.

Didn't expect the playoffs this season. Didn't even humor the idea of a Super Bowl appearance. So I'm trying to take this season as an extremely pleasant and welcome surprise. It's just, once you get to the big show you've gotta seize the opportunity while you have it. I feel like this loss is going to hurt A LOT worse years from now if the Burrow-led Bengals never make it back.

For now? This was a team expected to finish with four or less wins, last place in the division, and instead they were a bad call away from winning the Super Bowl.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:18 AM)kevin Wrote: Even with my brother on the phone after the game, being his normal bring down, sadistic, negative, horses rear end.

Much like the movie City Slickers : The Legend Of Curly's Gold.  After it was over.  As my brother on the phone trying to make it worse. I said like in the movie, " Why Don't I Feel Worse ".  

Much like the movie, it was a great adventure. Back in summer I had hoped the Bengals would rise up from 4 wins and maybe get 8 wins. I hoped Joe Burrow would be OK after his surgery. I hoped the O Line wouldn't get him injured again. He did end up the most sacked quarterback in the NFL. Somehow he survived the season. The Bengals had a great season, made the play-offs.  Then for first time in 31 years the Bengals WON in the Play-Offs. That nightmare streak ended. Then the Bengals won 3 Play-Off Games in all to WIN THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP.  Then Bengals went to The SUPER BOWL.  They had the lead in second half, but lost at end of game by 3 points. They played hard and gave it their all. Joe Burrow came out of the season pretty healthy, which was a huge concern of mine.  The team went farther than anyone expected back last Summer.

Maybe at age 67, I'm just getting older.  Maybe after my Mom and later my Wife dying, nothing is that bad.  Still, that's NOT it.  The real truth is that I enjoyed the season.  The Bengals played 21 games, plus preseason. I really enjoyed this season.  I just don't feel that bad after the Super Bowl.  Much like the Legend Of Curly's Gold, I had fun, it was a great adventure, a fun season.

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger

Need more blocking...
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:48 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Honestly, the only thing that's still really bumming me out is the statistic regarding teams losing the Super Bowl and making it back.  It's not great.  So if this was their best shot at the crown, and they missed it, that's the pill that's hard to swallow.  

Didn't expect the playoffs this season.  Didn't even humor the idea of a Super Bowl appearance.  So I'm trying to take this season as an extremely pleasant and welcome surprise.  It's just, once you get to the big show you've gotta seize the opportunity while you have it.  I feel like this loss is going to hurt A LOT worse years from now if the Burrow-led Bengals never make it back.  

For now?  This was a team expected to finish with four or less wins, last place in the division, and instead they were a bad call away from winning the Super Bowl.

I think we should read Gramps post closely. Yeah, I wish we won that bowl, 1 ring matters so much towards the emotional investment every year (it doesn't hurt as bad when we exit the playoffs lol), but this team is fun to watch and gives us hope that we'll be back there and win it someday. Hope is almost everything in life.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think we should read Gramps post closely. Yeah, I wish we won that bowl, 1 ring matters so much towards the emotional investment every year (it doesn't hurt as bad when we exit the playoffs lol), but this team is fun to watch and gives us hope that we'll be back there and win it someday. Hope is almost everything in life.

I don't disagree with anything you have stated here. But I would like to add: Yes, hope is important, but for a sports fan, the joy of victory is an unmatched delight.

I still, after all these years, gain enjoyment from the Big Red Machine's World Series victories. I try to put out of my head the two World Series losses, although I remember where I was and the emotions that I felt. (For one, my mother had come to homecoming at college and she was wonderful to recognize that I didn't want to be at the football game, and came back with me to the dorm to watch the World Series game that day.) But the two World Series victories, I can relive those over and over. I can watch documentaries on them, listen to interviews, etc. 

For the three Super Bowl losses, those are just painful memories. Billups dropped interception and Montana's pass are indelibly etched in my brain cells. A victory last Sunday would have gone a long way to diluting the bad memories with the good. It would have made each victory during the season a lifelong joyful memory. 

Yes, we will start over next season with hope. But, as you said, "1 ring matters so much towards the emotional investment every year." 
Reply/Quote