Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Didn't We Give Hill The Ball At The 5??
(11-03-2015, 02:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: same thing for running

That's where that "physicality" thing that Hue preached about comes into play.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Took the Pete Carroll approach LOL

I'd probably be right on board with the complaining if we were on the 1 yard line.

Throwing 3 passes from the 5 when you're the most efficient passing offense in the league and your QB is 6/7 with 66 yards on the current drive seems like a legitimate gameplan to me, but hey, I'm no OC myself either!
Reply/Quote
I do feel we abandoned the run to early in this game. What would a good old fashioned draw have done here ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:47 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'd probably be right on board with the complaining if we were on the 1 yard line.

Throwing 3 passes from the 5 when you're the most efficient passing offense in the league and your QB is 6/7 with 66 yards on the current drive seems like a legitimate gameplan to me, but hey, I'm no OC myself either!

We were watching two different ballgames.  Dalton had his worst passing performance of the year not because he was slicing through that pass defense like butter.  And it was a 12 yard Gio run that got the ball to the 5 yard line to begin with.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:47 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'd probably be right on board with the complaining if we were on the 1 yard line.

For me, it's not just the 3 straight passes, they were 3 poorly selected pass plays
Fade routes are stupid. I hate them inside the 15 or so. Basically saying, we need you to blow this coverage badly to work. 
No time to beat the jam or readjust for the QB. 

I hate the out route throw to Jones there too. That throw has always kind of been one of Andy's bugaboos. Run the hard slant there or something. 
Reply/Quote

I might have run it on first down to see where it went.  If you get stone walled, you can still pass twice.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:50 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: We were watching two different ballgames.  Dalton had his worst passing performance of the year not because he was slicing through that pass defense like butter.  And it was a 12 yard Gio run that got the ball to the 5 yard line to begin with.  

Yes, the 66 passing yards didn't get them to the 5, just the single 12 yard run Rolleyes

It must be awesome living in that fantasy world of yours. I'd take a wild guess and say that Andy wasn't playing like shit on a drive where he happened to be 6/7 for 66 yards and the only incompletion was due to A.J. getting molested in the end zone.

Andy was essentially perfect on the drive, I don't care how he was playing 27 minutes before that. 3 passing plays was fine play calling when you're the most efficient passing team in the league with a QB near perfect on the drive, and nothing you say will change that.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: For me, it's not just the 3 straight passes, they were 3 poorly selected pass plays
Fade routes are stupid. I hate them inside the 15 or so. Basically saying, we need you to blow this coverage badly to work. 

I hate the out route throw to Jones there too. That throw has always kind of been one of Andy's bugaboos. Run the hard slant there or something. 

I don't love fade routes myself, but I have a bigger issue with the execution than the play calls.

I've said it many times in the thread, if Andy makes a better read on any of the throws, this isn't even a conversation. Most of the people complaining are doing so because of the poor execution, yet they're taking it out on Hue.

If the 3rd pass was a TD and not an INT, who would still be complaining about the 3 straight passing plays? Maybe 1 or 2 people on the entire board would still have an issue, but everybody else wouldn't even be thinking about that specific drive's play calling choices. One of the league's top passing attacks should be throwing the ball inside the 10 yard line. Maybe next time we're in a close game in that situation, teams will be focused on the pass more than they should and Hill will take one in.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: For me, it's not just the 3 straight passes, they were 3 poorly selected pass plays

Couldn't agree more ! I'm not a big fan of the fade period. But from that close it's just not a good option.
Reply/Quote
Gio just did a 12 yard gain right before that, for his only carry of the night.

Hill was running well, so I agree some RB should have gotten the ball - IMO it should have been Gio 3 times.

Of course Hue jackson wasn't questioned about that play because the bengals won, if they lost, I'd hope some reporter would have questioned him.

I think Andy gave an unannounced audible to AJ after seeing him single covered and giving him a look. I don't think that was a bad play, but should have given the ball to Gio or Hill 3 more times after that (even on 4th). If you stop Gio or Hill 4 times in a row, congratulations, you win the game - but that probability is low.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 02:59 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't love fade routes myself, but I have a bigger issue with the execution than the play calls.

I've said it many times in the thread, if Andy makes a better read on any of the throws, this isn't even a conversation. Most of the people complaining are doing so because of the poor execution, yet they're taking it out on Hue.

If the 3rd pass was a TD and not an INT, who would still be complaining about the 3 straight passing plays? Maybe 1 or 2 people on the entire board would still have an issue, but everybody else wouldn't even be thinking about that specific drive's play calling choices. One of the league's top passing attacks should be throwing the ball inside the 10 yard line. Maybe next time we're in a close game in that situation, teams will be focused on the pass more than they should and Hill will take one in.

I don't think that 3rd pass is ever a TD. It's either incomplete or a pick. DB was in perfect spot. I go back to it also being one of those throws Dalton just doesn't like. Seems odd to call it there.
The first throw was executed fine, just good defense. Not sure what else they could have done to execute better really.
Second was a botched no call by the refs plain and simple. They just blew it. So again, not really an execution thing. 
Reply/Quote
Tuned into Lap last night at the end of his broadcast, and did not hear all his comments on the lack of running the ball.  But he did say that both teams were crowding the line of scrimmage making it difficult for either team to run the ball.  He also said that Andy has a lot of latitude this year and may have been audibiling out of run plays because of how the defense was set up in front of him.  So it may not have been as much Hugh's calls as Andy's adjustments. 

Clearly Hugh's game plan was to take advantage of Pittsburgh's secondary.  They just bowed their necks back there and blitzed the dickens out of us and it was effective - especially in the first half.

Personally I think we were having enough success running the ball (Hill averaging around 9 yards a carry in the first half) that it would have been a benefit for them to run it more.  I think it would have opened up the middle of the field more for the tight ends and slot receivers.

But in the ends zone, the likelihood of us punching it in on the ground was probably not going to be much better than passing it.  DJS is right and Royles is right, the problem was the poor choices of pass plays and the execution.

If it's me I'm running the ball one of those three downs - either without telegraphing it or putting in the heavy line with a full back (Peko?).  But at the end of the game when we were trying to kill the clock by running they stuffed us 3 times in a row.
Reply/Quote
Hue's been getting away from the run game lately, and when he does run, he runs from jumbo packages which makes it obvious, I expect Hue to fix this tho
Reply/Quote
On thebplaybwith the INT it looked like there wasn't enough field in front of them to run thatbplay and get enough separation of the defense.

Count me amongst those who expected a run or two down there.
Reply/Quote
OK. On to Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
did that INT look almost exactly like the one vs Seahawks to anyone? might be time to scrap that play.
Reply/Quote
I didn't read all the replies but I can't really disagree with the notion when Hill has been less than Hill-like this year and Dalton has been playing super grand QB football. Whoops! So it goes.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 12:42 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Time was not a factor at all in that situation.  

I won't argue this as I do agree that we should have tried to run it.  However, I am merely giving a reason to not run in this situation.  Whether you agree with the reason or not, it is still a viable one for not running the ball in this situation.

If we ran the ball and didn't make it on all 3 attempts then kick the FG, we would have somewhere of 5 minutes left in the game and be down by one point. 

Now we don't know if the INT would have happened, we are glad it did, but we had no way of knowing that we were going to pick off Ben 2 more times at this particular time in the game.

A team like Pittsburgh can kill the clock and maybe even go down and score a TD with only 5 minutes left.  Hell I was expecting them to do just that after the Dalton INT.  They may not have been able to kill the game, but they could have killed a lot of clock and scored.  If they scored then we would have needed as much time as possible to march down the field to have a shot at tying it or winning it.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 03:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I don't think that 3rd pass is ever a TD. It's either incomplete or a pick. DB was in perfect spot. I go back to it also being one of those throws Dalton just doesn't like. Seems odd to call it there.
The first throw was executed fine, just good defense. Not sure what else they could have done to execute better really.
Second was a botched no call by the refs plain and simple. They just blew it. So again, not really an execution thing. 

With the execution I'm just saying that it had more to do with what happened on the field rather than the play calling.

The refs and defense had something to do with the execution of the plays. My point was just that I don't think Hue called a horrific series and things weren't executed on the field as they could/should have if you consider Andy playing perfectly on the drive along with Pittsburgh having a weaker secondary than run D.

I do think all 3 passes could have been TDs, but good defense and poor officiating does happen sometimes. Meh, I can't get worked up over Hue's decisions, I like to see the more aggressive approach occasionally.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 12:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I would have certainly liked to see at least one running attempt instead of that 10% chance fade to AJ on 1st down. 

For reasons unknown the fade never works with AJ.  Have to do that with Eifert.
Reply/Quote