Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Didn't We See More Rollouts?!
Why didn't we see more rollouts, especially in the Super Bowl? It was obvious that the pocket was collapsing around Burrow all game so why didn't we roll Burrow out and away from Donald?

I realize that they have Floyd and Miller on the outside, but I'd rather take my chances against them in the open field than against Donald and the other d-linemen in the pocket.

Burrow also would have had a better chance to throw the ball away while rolling out.

Rolling him out also would have helped the run game and vice-versa because the defense would be looking towards the middle.

I realize Burrow had his knee injury last season but was moving ok and rolling him out would have prevented injuring it more.

Anyone know why it wasn't in the game plan to roll him out more and why we didn't see any in-game adjustments to do it?
Reply/Quote
Ask Zac, he the shot caller. I have the same question.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why didn't we see more rollouts, especially in the Super Bowl? It was obvious that the pocket was collapsing around Burrow all game so why didn't we roll Burrow out and away from Donald?

I realize that they have Floyd and Miller on the outside, but I'd rather take my chances against them in the open field than against Donald and the other d-linemen in the pocket.

Burrow also would have had a better chance to throw the ball away while rolling out.

Rolling him out also would have helped the run game and vice-versa because the defense would be looking towards the middle.

I realize Burrow had his knee injury last season but was moving ok and rolling him out would have prevented injuring it more.

Anyone know why it wasn't in the game plan to roll him out more and why we didn't see any in-game adjustments to do it?

It was rare when just 1 person was being beat and it wasn't the whole line collapsing. I would guess it had to do with them not knowing which side was going to instantly collapse and therefore basically guaranteeing a 5-10 yard loss. 

Burrow is too slow to effectively utilize the rollout game if the OT will barely get more than a hand on the DE like ours were doing. We were needing our TE and RB to stay in for a second to chip just to help out so there wouldn't be a quick dump off that wouldn't get blow up. 

I'm not sure why they never tried Carmen in there when Adenji showed time and time again he was too weak. At least I don't remember Carmen being in there.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:27 PM)TheFan Wrote: Burrow is too slow to effectively utilize the rollout game if the OT will barely get more than a hand on the DE like ours were doing. We were needing our TE and RB to stay in for a second to chip just to help out so there wouldn't be a quick dump off that wouldn't get blow up. 

Yeah, if I had balls as big as his, I'd be slow, too.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why didn't we see more rollouts, especially in the Super Bowl? It was obvious that the pocket was collapsing around Burrow all game so why didn't we roll Burrow out and away from Donald?

One of the safest plays in football is to roll out the QB to buy some time and throw even a quick 5-6 yard out especially to one the Bengals WR's where every CB has to play them honestly. It's always a sideline protection throw with the sideline being your friend if a corner is draped on the WR.Shocking we never saw that.
Reply/Quote
I’m wondering if Joe Burrow was limited bc of the knee injury. Who knows. The last play of the game is similar to the play burrow got out of chris Jones. Better player + more limited QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:35 PM)higgy100 Wrote: One of the safest plays in football is to roll out the QB to buy some time and throw even a quick 5-6 yard out especially to one the Bengals WR's where every CB has to play them honestly. Shocking we never saw that.

No roll outs, no screens which was the rams biggest weakness, no play action passing to freeze the line (I’m sorry one play action pass that scored a touchdown) never used play action again.

Just the same vanilla shotgun offense the rams saw on film for 2 weeks.

It was really bizarre. When you see great offensive minds on the sideline they are always talking to their quarterback and other coaches making in game adjustments

Bengals made no in game adjustments offensively

I’m beginning to realize they got here more on Amaruno defense and the purse ability of burrow

Taylor’s history as a coordinator position coach is average at best

Zac Taylor Failed Miserably as an Offensive Coordinator Before Becoming the Bengals’ Head Coach
https://www.sportscasting.com/zac-taylor-failed-miserably-as-an-offensive-coordinator-before-becoming-the-bengals-head-coach/?amp
Reply/Quote

Could have won the game on the last play if he rolled out with Chase wide open. Still sick
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:26 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Ask Zac, he the shot caller. I have the same question.
Been looking for a Q & A!

Let me know if you find one!
(02-15-2022, 04:27 PM)TheFan Wrote: It was rare when just 1 person was being beat and it wasn't the whole line collapsing. I would guess it had to do with them not knowing which side was going to instantly collapse and therefore basically guaranteeing a 5-10 yard loss. 

Burrow is too slow to effectively utilize the rollout game if the OT will barely get more than a hand on the DE like ours were doing. We were needing our TE and RB to stay in for a second to chip just to help out so there wouldn't be a quick dump off that wouldn't get blow up. 

I'm not sure why they never tried Carmen in there when Adenji showed time and time again he was too weak. At least I don't remember Carmen being in there.
Burrow's faster rolling out than he is dropping back and it doesn't leave him as a sitting duck in the pocket. Rolling him out some would also help when he stays in the pocket because the defense couldn't just call pressure up the middle or push the pocket inwards without even thinking about it.
(02-15-2022, 04:29 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Yeah, if I had balls as big as his, I'd be slow, too.
That's why I can't walk ThumbsUp
(02-15-2022, 04:35 PM)higgy100 Wrote: One of the safest plays in football is to roll out the QB to buy some time and throw even a quick 5-6 yard out especially to one the Bengals WR's where every CB has to play them honestly. Shocking we never saw that.
That's what I'm saying!

It also causes problems because it makes it more difficult for the defenders to cover because it's tougher to keep an eye on the QB out of the corner fo the defenders' eyes while they also have an eye on the receiver!
(02-15-2022, 04:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’m wondering if Joe Burrow was limited bc of the knee injury.  Who knows.  The last play of the game is similar to the play burrow got out of chris Jones.  Better player + more limited QB.

I doubt it because he seemed to scramble and move ok.

Besides, leaving him in the pocket left him more in danger.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:58 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Could have won the game on the last play if he rolled out with Chase wide open. Still sick

It wasn't a designed roll out. He was running for his life at that point and Joe Burrow isn't faster than Aaron Donald. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Look...it improved some, and maybe it's Burrow audibling...but our offensive playcalling isn't good...yet.

Our offense just didn't score many TDs in the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:27 PM)TheFan Wrote: It was rare when just 1 person was being beat and it wasn't the whole line collapsing. I would guess it had to do with them not knowing which side was going to instantly collapse and therefore basically guaranteeing a 5-10 yard loss. 

Carman was listed as "back" on the injury report. I'm guessing he was there for emergency use only. 

As to the rollout question, I think you answered it. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:26 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Ask Zac, he the shot caller. I have the same question.

Zac being the shot caller is also the answer to your question. The worst thing about having ZT is that now you guys were in the Super Bowl he just bought at least 2 more seasons of job security, and since he’s got Burrow probably more like 5. 
Reply/Quote

We know part of answer, Burrow does not prefer rolling out, also prefers empty... on ZT side we don;t know what was discussed between Burrow and ZT.

Also we had little issue in 1st half with that intense pressure, and even the start of 2nd half, it was not till later in 3rd quarter that we really saw a ton. For example in our possession around 5 minute mark we did get sacked , but 3rd and 13 , we had a nice clean pocket that Joe was actually able to step up but throw incompleted.

So heading into 4th quarter the Rams still had not had intense pressure against the line in the pocket. so 1st series in 4th quarter on 3rd down Burrow gets sacks and hurt his knee. So now with 11:30 minutes left in 4th quarter we will still holding but starting to get more pressure, the problem is Burrow is now hurt so if you are Taylor very doubtful you are rolling out rest of game.
Reply/Quote
Their wide front (Collinsworth called it an overload but that's debatable) was ran to the QB dominant side (right). You can't roll to that side because the widest man was in a Wide 9 alignment giving him a free release on a rollout/sprint-out to the right. We did go to some boot action early that was semi successful but once they swapped into the bear front late that is hard to do because of run fits the guys don't need to crash the edge to bite on the bootleg.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:28 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Zac being the shot caller is also the answer to your question. The worst thing about having ZT is that now you guys were in the Super Bowl he just bought at least 2 more seasons of job security, and since he’s got Burrow probably more like 5. 

He probably gets a lifetime contract.

That said, you need elite coaches to win SBs. Burrow could attract one. But, Zac will be the coach possibly all of Joe's career.
Reply/Quote
Can anyone remember us running a designed roll out all season? I cant. Or a naked bootleg? Also people keep asking about play action. We are not good at play action, Joe doesnt sell it and at one point late in the season there were more hurries and hits on PAs than standard drop backs.

Im not against rollouts, but I really question the lack of screens. We did them all year, quick screens, PA screens, middle screens - the majority of our biggest gainers all year that were not bombs all occurred on screens (Chase, Sam, CJ)

I am very frustrated that we were so limited as to the playbook. The Rams were only going to see 60-70% of our offense due to no 5-7 drop concepts. I wish I had more confidence that this FA will go great. Hoping I am wrong but not expecting it in case of letdown.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Their wide front (Collinsworth called it an overload but that's debatable) was ran to the QB dominant side (right). You can't roll to that side because the widest man was in a Wide 9 alignment giving him a free release on a rollout/sprint-out to the right. We did go to some boot action early that was semi successful but once they swapped into the bear front late that is hard to do because of run fits the guys don't need to crash the edge to bite on the bootleg.
Love the Xs and Os but I'd even risk him beating a strong side rusher or have Mixon lead blocking if you're not running the play action to hold the defense.

I'd even like rolling him out to the left and having him throw across his body than allowing him to sit in the pocket and get murdered.
(02-15-2022, 05:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He probably gets a lifetime contract.

That said, you need elite coaches to win SBs. Burrow could attract one. But, Zac will be the coach possibly all of Joe's career.

We were so close to winning one with Zac and you have to figure (hope) that he won't be as bull-headed as Marvin or other stubborn coaches and actually evolves and learns from past mistakes.

I think we could win one with our weapons, a decent defense, and EVEN AN AVERAGE OFFENSIVE LINE!

Hell, it doesn't even need to be average as long as it's better than that clown show we had in the Super Bowl!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Carman was listed as "back" on the injury report. I'm guessing he was there for emergency use only. 

As to the rollout question, I think you answered it. 

Maybe that meant he'd be laying on his back if he had to block Donald?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Their wide front (Collinsworth called it an overload but that's debatable) was ran to the QB dominant side (right). You can't roll to that side because the widest man was in a Wide 9 alignment giving him a free release on a rollout/sprint-out to the right. We did go to some boot action early that was semi successful but once they swapped into the bear front late that is hard to do because of run fits the guys don't need to crash the edge to bite on the bootleg.

Not only that, but are we really going to roll Burrow TOWARDS Adeniji blocking Donald and Prince blocking Miller? 
Reply/Quote