Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do Bengals Give Up More 3rd Downs Than Any NFL Team ?
(10-20-2018, 04:57 PM)kevin Wrote: Actually, Bengals are worst NFL team on 3rd and longs last few years.  I don't know why they are.  Some have made some good suggestions why. 

It happened under guenther to. We have been bad on 2nd down. We just play to soft coverage don't know why. 
Last season we gave up the most third downs in the NFL
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
2 words: teryl austin

same as the Detroit Lions!!

Reply/Quote
I saw an article somewhere from someone weighing Austin as a head coaching candidate. They pointed out that in Austin's first year with Detroit they were third in the NFL on defense and then they fell off after that. Their analysis was that they were stacked with talent when he arrived but that the talent level deteriorated during his tenure.

I think the third down stat has a lot to do with the fact that we've faced a string of top quarterbacks along with injuries at linebacker. The new system is part of the problem but it's too soon to determine whether that's just a learning curve.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 03:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Austin has a blitz heavy defense that isn’t generating pressure. I’m on my phone so I can’t go digging right now but Cincinnati has one of the worst pressure rates in the league when blitzing, and it shows. There is zero pressure, which leaves our DBs and LBers on an island, which they will typically lose.

Just for reference, Ben was 20-32 for 178 yards and a 78 QB rating when Austin didn’t blitz. When Austin called a blitz, Ben was 12-14 for 184 yards and 142.6 rating.

This defense isn’t built to blitz very well. Our LBers aren’t good pass rushers and when we blitz, it’s more likely to give up a big play than to get a stop.

Again though, how much of that comes down to bad DC coaching and making vanilla blitzes. Is it not his job to design creative blitzes to make it harder for offenses to know exactly what they're doing? 
Reply/Quote
I thin it has to do with our (bengals) unwillingness cover anybody in the middle of the field especially during third down. I would rather see 3 and 3 than 3 and 20. We can’t defend the center of the field. No stats on this just observation.
Reply/Quote
Austin seems to really like the "keep everything in front of you" style of defense.

Think of it as "prevent defense lite" except, he runs it all game.

It's not a great way to win games defensively.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 03:27 PM)kevin Wrote:  This problem on 3rd down was before Austin.  It must be something Marvin does on 3rd down. Whatever it is, quarterbacks see it coming, and pick Marvin's D apart. If it was poker, I would say the QB is seeing the cards in their hand, because QB's are picking up 3rd and long way above the law of averages.  It's almost impossible to give up this many 3rd and longs.

This is just a gross exageration.

Bengals were pretty much middle of the pack in third down conversion percentage that last few years.  It is an area they need to imjprove, but it isn't like opposing teams have been "pick Marvin's D apart".  The last three years our defense ranked 2nd, 8th, and 16 in points allowed  so they have been doing a lot more right than wrong.

And I have not seen us giving up an IMPOSSIBLE number of third and long plays.  In fact even going back to last year when our third down conversion problems got worse the bengals have not been that bad in 3rd and long.  Since the start of the 2017 season 11 teams have allowed more first down conversions on 3rd and 8 or longer than the Bengals.  Our IMPOSSIBLE number of 29 is just one more than the league average over that period of 28.

So while the bengals need to address this problem.  It is not some epic failure of Marvin defenses going back for years.
Reply/Quote
Our linebackers suck n we have Dre. Bad combo
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2018, 02:52 PM)kevin Wrote: Worst in NFL last few years on 3rd down D, something is wrong.

Fact remains Bengals last few years have been worst team on D on 3rd downs. 

how do they give up more 3rd and longs than any of the other 31 NFL teams ?

I don't know if you are intentionally trolling or just completely ignorant of what has been happenenig, but the FACT remains that you are just completely wrong about this.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 12:20 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Our linebackers suck n we have Dre.   Bad combo

Dre hasn't been bad at all this year.  I honestly don't even see our LBs getting roasted that much this year.  I just think that Austin keeps hoping to luck into bad QB play on 3rd and short for whatever reason.  OCs tend not to call 4 verticals on 3rd and 2, but it's as if the defense expects that every time.
Reply/Quote
It looks like a combination of our incredibly vanilla scheme up front and our insistence on soft zones.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The tackling has been bad. Very very bad. I hope Mike Zimmer didn't watch this game because it might've caused him to go blind in his good eye.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I want to see Malik Jefferson. He can't possibly be a downgrade at this point, can he? Our current LB Corp can't cover OR tackle. Like c'mon guys, pick one at least
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2018, 06:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: It looks like a combination of our incredibly vanilla scheme up front and our insistence on soft zones.
Nailed it with the soft zone. Worst defensive scheme there is in the NFL today.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Announcers Collinsworth and Michaels during Chiefs game said Bengals just don't have cover linebackers. They said Burfict isn't, Brown isn't. They said Vigil is, but he is injured. They said Vigil is only Bengal LB who is. They said that leaves TE's as easy yards. So this backs up others who posted Bengals LB's are not good in pass coverage.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote