Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do Libs Have Gender Reveal Parties?
Even the person who "invented" the Gender Reveal Party isn't a fan anymore.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/28/745990073/woman-who-popularized-gender-reveal-parties-says-her-views-on-gender-have-change

Quote:A quick search on YouTube brings up hundreds of videos of expecting couples revealing the sex of their baby, usually with blue for a boy and pink for a girl.

Jenna Karvunidis is no stranger to this phenomenon. In fact, many credit her as the "inventor" of the gender party reveal. For her, it was through a cake.
[Image: gender-2asset-4_sq-d9b0109704e6c00665bba...00-c85.png]
HIDDEN BRAIN
Nature, Nurture, And Our Evolving Debates About Gender

"We had a knife and we cut into it all together and we all saw the pink icing at the same time, and found out that we were having a girl," Karvunidis says.
That was in 2008 before Instagram or Pinterest even existed. Karvunidis says she likes cake and wanted to celebrate her pregnancy with her family.

"I mean gosh, I just like to throw parties," she said. "I just thought it would be really fun for everybody in the whole family to find out."

At the time, she shared it on her blog, High Gloss And Sauce, and it was written up by a local Chicago magazine. After that, Karvunidis says she started to notice more and more gender reveal parties in the few years after her own.
[Image: pronouns-in-college21_sq-68a4e304df664d4...00-c85.jpg]
EDUCATION
'I Can Exist Here': On Gender Identity, Some Colleges Are Opening Up

Today, she sees them all the time. She's seen the video of the gender reveal party that inadvertently started a wildfire that burned nearly 47,000 acres, not to mention the one with the pet alligator.

"It's just become a bit of a nightmare," Karvunidis says.

Watching videos of gender reveal parties become bigger and more ostentatious has made Karvunidis rethink her own party 11 years ago.

In a Facebook post this week, Karvunidis said that when someone on Twitter had remembered her as the "inventor" of the gender reveal party, she wanted to share another surprise on Facebook.

"Plot twist! The baby from the original gender reveal party is a girl who wears suits," Karvunidis says. "She says 'she' and 'her' and all of that, but you know she really goes outside gender norms."

The post went viral. Karvunidis says her views on sex and gender have changed, especially when she's talking to her daughter.

"She's telling me 'Mom, there are many genders. Mom, there's many different sexualities and all different types,' and I take her lead on that," Karvunidis says.
She says she does have some regrets and understands these parties aren't beneficial to everyone.
[Image: ranzhengtoyfinal_sq-a3bd4be673f779424eea...0-c85.jpeg]
EDUCATION
Sparkle Unicorns And Fart Ninjas: What Parents Can Do About Gendered Toys

"I know it's been harmful to some individuals. It's 2019, we don't need to get our joy by giving others pain," she says. "I think there's a new way to have these parties."

And that idea is as simple as just eating cake.

"Celebrate the baby," she says. "There's no way to have a cake to cut into it, to see if they're going to like chess. Let's just have a cake."
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
As socially liberal as I try to be, I have to admit this whole fluid gender thing seems weird to me. But whenever I find myself becoming anxious at the way "things are becoming" I remind myself there is a reason the average person keels over after around 77 years.

Imagine someone in a relative spot to mine in 1920 and being like "I'm not so sure where letting women vote is going to take this country" and then being like "Well...no need to worry, you'll be dead before Geraldine Ferraro comes 512 electoral college votes short of shaking anything up."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 09:37 PM)Lucidus Wrote: In simplest terms:

Sex is a biological classification based on the genetic differences / reproductive organs you possessed at birth. 

Gender is an identity classification that can only be determined by the self, instead of being assigned at birth.  

For example: possessing a penis does not automatically mean as person is a man. It only means they were born with a penis; biologically male. However, even though they were born male -- they may or may not be a man in terms of their correct identity. If every single other thing about them causes them to feel like a woman; then they're a woman

Even in cases where someone keeps their true identity private -- due to fear, judgment, etc; it is still the case that internally, who they truly are is still who they truly are. It's their natural state of being, and they can exist in no other state.

It's really not any more difficult than that, although people will attempt to make if far more complex than needed.

I hope this can help in gaining a better understanding. 

why do you day you make it simple for me. i aint stupid and i aint a child. you dont gotta make it simple.

besides that, what you saying here is confusing anyways. you say they might be a man or they might be woman. how does that help. that dont help at all. how come you say a penis dont mean a man. that aint right in my way of thinking. a penis is what makes you a man but i get you can decide to call it differnt anyways. what im doing some study on is in the bible to see if i can find any clues from God bout this. there aint nothing specific i found yet which is why i aint made up my mind about it. 
Reply/Quote
Just to be clear, gender IS a social construct.

The answer is because people both confuse "sex" and "gender" and people will use "gender" instead of "sex" because they think "sex" is a bad word.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 03:18 PM)Leon Wrote: why do you day you make it simple for me. i aint stupid and i aint a child. you dont gotta make it simple.

besides that, what you saying here is confusing anyways. you say they might be a man or they might be woman. how does that help. that dont help at all. how come you say a penis dont mean a man. that aint right in my way of thinking. a penis is what makes you a man but i get you can decide to call it differnt anyways. what im doing some study on is in the bible to see if i can find any clues from God bout this. there aint nothing specific i found yet which is why i aint made up my mind about it. 

Sincerely,
Dr. Leon Geniusman, PHD
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 11:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Just to be clear, gender IS a social construct.

The answer is because people both confuse "sex" and "gender" and people will use "gender" instead of "sex" because they think "sex" is a bad word.

Genital reveal party is more accurate, but sounds a bit too weird. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 11:31 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Sincerely,
Dr. Leon Geniusman, PHD

i hope someday you feel good enogh about yourself and are happy in your life to were you dont need to make fun of folks to build your ego up. ill be praying for you to get to a better place. be blessed.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2022, 06:07 PM)Leon Wrote: i hope someday you feel good enogh about yourself and are happy in your life to were you dont need to make fun of folks to build your ego up. ill be praying for you to get to a better place. be blessed.

I hope your ignorance does not affect the youth around you.

cause itz dummdumm fart obvious.
Reply/Quote
What do ya'll say we kidnap Brad and send him to flaming drag queen conversion therapy? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 12:27 AM)grampahol Wrote: What do ya'll say we kidnap Brad and send him to flaming drag queen conversion therapy? 

Agreeing to this could count as conspiracy to engage in a federal crime...

Not saying it's a terrible idea, just making sure that's out there. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 11:31 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Sincerely,
Dr. Leon Geniusman, PHD

(08-12-2022, 06:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Genital reveal party is more accurate, but sounds a bit too weird. 

Ahhhh, I missed stuff like this. Glad to be back.

Reply/Quote
semi serious question, is he a parody account?

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 10:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Ahhhh, I missed stuff like this. Glad to be back.

Where ya been?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:19 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Where ya been?

He's been throwing daily genital reveal parties. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:19 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Where ya been?

I took on way too much at work and then did two summer school gigs. 

(08-27-2022, 12:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: He's been throwing daily genital reveal parties. 

It pays far better than teaching. 

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 12:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It pays far better than teaching. 

Most things do, sadly.
Reply/Quote